Preston hooks

steviebearuk

Reaction score
Hi guys
Heres hoping you can give me your views.
Looking at preston pr36 or pr38 for general feeder or method fishing. Lots of my mates use either one and just wnating to know what your opinion of each is.
Steve.
P.s I have been using tubertini hooks up till now.

Chefster

Reaction score
Hi guys
Heres hoping you can give me your views.
Looking at preston pr36 or pr38 for general feeder or method fishing. Lots of my mates use either one and just wnating to know what your opinion of each is.
Steve.
P.s I have been using tubertini hooks up till now.
I dont acually know anyone who uses them,why dont you ask your mates opinion ,if they use them;)...Probably not of any relevance to you,but i use ....
Gama Pellet-soft pellet/maggot,etc-all year
Kamasan B911-spade-for all baits..and eyed for banding on the pole
Tubertini 808-pellet/maggot-winter
Guru QM1-all feeder/bomb work
Gazza

tom_moran

Reaction score
I use the pr38 hooks for all hair rig applications last season and found them very good, they are the same pattern as the pr36 but stronger. I have found they are 'bigger' than the same size as other brands, I don't know why. I suffered very few hook pulls last year and only a few missed bites, I'll be using them again this year.

rayner

Reaction score
After trying most of what's favoured by others I've settled on Korum hair rig hooks.
Never used Preston hooks used to use Kamasan 911s but lost too many fish using these.
Most of the hooks I use for method are size 18s that are really 14s size.
I like these hooks because they're sharp, very strong and have an out turned eye.

tom_moran

Reaction score
After trying most of what's favoured by others I've settled on Korum hair rig hooks.
Never used Preston hooks used to use Kamasan 911s but lost too many fish using these.
Most of the hooks I use for method are size 18s that are really 14s size.
I like these hooks because they're sharp, very strong and have an out turned eye.
Just had a look a the korum ones, they look quite nice. Sounds like you found they are bigger than normal like I did with the Preston ones. Might get a pack of them and make some rigs up to try. Are they dark coated or Shiney?

Chefster

Reaction score
Just had a look a the korum ones, they look quite nice. Sounds like you found they are bigger than normal like I did with the Preston ones. Might get a pack of them and make some rigs up to try. Are they dark coated or Shiney?
I cant see the point in looking for a size 18,that looks like a 14,why not just buy the size hook you want??If i buy an 18,i want it to be an 18,if i buy a 16,i want it to be a 16..Gaz

tom_moran

Reaction score
I'm sure I read the way a hook is sized is something to do with the distance between the hook point and the shank? Of the hook. With in turned points the gap is smaller so the hook is bigger or something.

rayner

Reaction score

Not going in my box to check they are dark maybe black hooks not shiny.
I tie them with a very short hair with the band off the back of the shank.

---------- Post added at 06:35 ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 ----------

I'm sure I read the way a hook is sized is something to do with the distance between the hook point and the shank? Of the hook. With in turned points the gap is smaller so the hook is bigger or something.

Don't think there's any particular reason for hooks being called sizes they most definitely not, us old timers me in particular can't get to grips with hook sizes being called what they are obviously not.
I think it must be easier to make bigger hooks and give them a smaller size tag. It's ridiculous.

Last edited: