Loaded Puddle Chucker floats

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Last week I managed to recover two of these floats, one of from a tree and one from the margins where it was found to have a broken insert, which I have since repaired.

I have never used this type of float as I make my own mostly and despite checking various websites I find myself unsure as to the best way to use them. I can understand they will cast a very long way and with the many optional tips available would, seemingly, offer a reasonable amount of flexibility in use....

So, my first question is this ; Under what circumstances would this type float come into its own when fishing still waters of variable depth ?

I can see they have most of the weight at the base of the float so very little needed down the line, but what arrangement of shotting would be best at a range of depths ( avoiding tangles etc ) ?

Obviously I could go out and work on the best way to use them, but as they are, according to my tackle shop, very popular I thought a new thread might help others as well as myself......

It's experience from use I'm hoping to hear about - where they outshine any other float and for what species !!

Thanks for your help.....

ps I understand the ' non loaded ' variety is very good in shallow water at distance - true ??

wanderer

Reaction score
Basically shallow water carp floats, used widely on the commies for baits like pellet, with loose feed sprayed at them, thet are both casting floats for shallow venues.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
....but do the loaded jobs not ' dive ' too much when shallow water fishing ??

Just a thought...

wanderer

Reaction score
No mate they work a treat, trouble is i struggle to see them at range, eyes not what they were, good floats.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
....but do the loaded jobs not ' dive ' too much when shallow water fishing ??

Just a thought...

No they don't tend to dive very far, it's the usual getting the float size right.

Shotting of the loaded ones is usually a couple of dust / styl shot, I don't use the un-loaded ones but would only put the shot around the base anyway.

The clue is in the name puddle, which I think was used before Puddles were called Puddles, they've been about for over 25 years. I love them for casting tight to the far bank, but my casting ability usually means casting to the bank (which is probably how you got yours :D)

As wanderer said they can also be used for fishing shallow where the fish are up in the water, or of course under your feet.

tom_moran

Reaction score
I've got some of these, tend to use them with about a foot of hooklength on the bottom for carp in the summer, no shot. As said they cast very well and the ones I have have a big disk on the bottom for antisubmerging and to create a bigger splash. They work well but I only buy cheap ones as I tend to catch banks a lot

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Last week I managed to recover two of these floats, one of from a tree and one from the margins where it was found to have a broken insert, which I have since repaired.

I have never used this type of float as I make my own mostly and despite checking various websites I find myself unsure as to the best way to use them. I can understand they will cast a very long way and with the many optional tips available would, seemingly, offer a reasonable amount of flexibility in use....

So, my first question is this ; Under what circumstances would this type float come into its own when fishing still waters of variable depth ?

I can see they have most of the weight at the base of the float so very little needed down the line, but what arrangement of shotting would be best at a range of depths ( avoiding tangles etc ) ?

Obviously I could go out and work on the best way to use them, but as they are, according to my tackle shop, very popular I thought a new thread might help others as well as myself......

It's experience from use I'm hoping to hear about - where they outshine any other float and for what species !!

Thanks for your help.....

ps I understand the ' non loaded ' variety is very good in shallow water at distance - true ??

Hi ..

I use them a lot even on very light tackle they work well they do how ever suffer from one most annoying problem the bottom attachments tend to work loose after a time and you end up with part of the float stillone your line the bulk of the float doing it's thing and floating away lost several that way .

Now i use solvent weld to fix the bottom stub in place not lost any since .

I use the 1.75 gram ones mainly on the pool i fish as it is shallow in the main ..

PG...

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes, I did read they can come adrift so I have also ' fixed ' the bottom section....

On one of those found I noticed the antenna section is quite long relative to body length, or at least it is painted much of its length, but I imagine if fished at distance you need something to look at !

They do seem to offer quite a lot in sensitivity so I might just give them a whirl with roach up in the water in normally tricky areas this week......My pals will be shocked to see me fishing with a proprietary product, but if it does a special job, then why not.

Thanks for all the help with this - much appreciated !

greenie62

Reaction score
......My pals will be shocked to see me fishing with a proprietary product, but if it does a special job, then why not....

I would suggest that they might be even more surprised if they thought that you'd actually paid for them! :eek:
Please set their minds at rest and tell'em you rescued them! ;):rolleyes::D
Tight Lines!