What a Plonker!

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: What a Plonker!

http://www.fishingmagic.com/fm-features/18271-pike-success.html

thumbnail.php

Tackle-Tarts are nothing new...and neither is stupidity!

Keith M

Reaction score
Excellent! I enjoyed reading that.

I can sympathise with you Cliff; as I too have done this sort of thing back in the days when I took everything but the kitchen sink, I've forgotten both my landing net spreader block as well as my bait LOL.

Great story

Keith

Last edited:

sumtime

Reaction score
Very good, Cliff, enjoyed the read, :) in the past I've arrived without a rag/water and other small stuff, the worst was when I went pumping for lug through the Mersey tunnel and arrived at my spot only to realise my wellies were still at home.

Back through the tunnel, home and back to the pumping spot before the tide turned. It would have been cheaper to buy the worms from the shop. :mad:

B

binka

Very funny story Cliff and thanks for sharing, a pleasure to know I'm not alone when it comes to forgetting things that I haven't really forgotten :D

tom_moran

Reaction score
Great article cliff! I've done it too. Drove 40 miles to a carp puddle. Setup, realised I'd left the bait in the car, went to car realised I'd left my bait in the shed. In the end, I went to the bushes and spent ten minutes collecting worms, had a great session!

dann

Reaction score
I enjoyed that! Mostly because I can relate, when I take the kids out for the day I end up resembling a pack horse.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Ha Cliff
did a similar think myself a couple of years back
I was only fishing a day session but still I'd set up the rods, chair set just right, rod pod out , bite alarms tested, and finally bait cast out and - no landing net

So what to do , I casually picked up my mobile and pretened I'd got a call from a mate and made out he was fishing another lake

I packed my gear away drove home and got the landing net then found another lake to fish

thecrow

Reaction score
enjoyed that Cliff, thank you. It reminds me of when I drove to Shrewsbury to fish the Severn only to find I had left my reels at home, I did about 240 miles that day with 2 return journey's but did end up having a decent day eventually.

robtherake

Reaction score
Things get left at home on a depressingly regular basis. I once turned up for an 80s Swale Winter League match without a bloody keepnet. On several occasions I've had to net fish out without the benefit of a handle - try that with a 15ft float rod and you need to flick the anti-reverse on and hold the rod by the end of the handle to get the fish close enough.:eek:mg:

john step

Reaction score
Chuckled at that Cliff. How utterly gratifying to read the previous replies from all you other plonkers.....who would forget their head etc.....Just blooming well like me:eek:mg:

eddiebenham

Reaction score
:)Great story Cliff. Never quite achieved that level myself, being mainly a 'day' angler, but I have turned up for a club match without a keepnet and a tench trip with no landing net. On the club match I managed to borrow a keepnet and (fortunately) I blanked on the tench trip so I could have forgotten all my gear that particular day and it wouldn't have mattered.

robtherake

Reaction score
I have a checklist, all printed out and laminated.

If I could find the dam' thing I wouldn't forget half so much stuff half so often.

In all seriousness, I've been tempted to do just that, but the likelihood is that I'd forget to read it.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Well, I found the checklist!

It turns out to be only half the solution to my problem.
If I'd actually stopped to READ it, I might not have arrived at a new water with four rods and only one reel. Derrrh...

greenie62

Reaction score
Well, I found the checklist!...

I would suggest you hand it to your delightful SWMBO and ask her to arrange it into a memorable ditty - a 'list song' along the lines of 'My Favourite Things' - that you could murmur to yourself as you pack ready to go!

DON'T sing it so anyone else can hear - I've heard your singing before :eek: - and she may want a cut of any 'performance fees' :wh:rolleyes:;)