Marshmallow Baits

greenie62

Reaction score
Several posters have referred recently to using Marshmallow as bait.

Any hints and tips on preparation & presentation? Direct on hook or hair rig?

Do you use the whole piece - or a section from it - e.g. punch a 6mm pellet from it? How well do they float - if at all? Do they attract waterfowl?

Pink or white - best colour?

Reccommended brands? Are the discount supermarket brands as good as the premier brands?

I deliberately didn't post this thread in the Bait Box - 'cos I wanted some serious answers - I fancy trying this method on the local commercials during the close-season - particularly where floating bread or biscuits are banned!

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Mike,

Aldi do some big old marshmallows. I favour them cos they're generally heavy enough to freeline, though, of course, you could put a swan shot near the hook and just shove it in or hook and leave proud.

I don't think the colour makes a great difference but as it's standing in for bread, I always feel more confident with white.

Try using a hypodermic or similar and flavour it. Corn steep liquor works well. It's hellish exciting when a mush like a Scouser's appears and snaffles it.

Best of luck, mate. :)

robtherake

Reaction score
Mike,

Aldi do some big old marshmallows. I favour them cos they're generally heavy enough to freeline, though, of course, you could put a swan shot near the hook and just shove it in or hook and leave proud.

I don't think the colour makes a great difference but as it's standing in for bread, I always feel more confident with white.

Try using a hypodermic or similar and flavour it. Corn steep liquor works well. It's hellish exciting when a mush like a Scouser's appears and snaffles it.

Best of luck, mate. :)

How are you hooking them? I tried to use them - hair-rigged - as a pop-up or zigged presentation but they popped off the hair every time. I have some little metal bait screws, but didn't have them with me on that occasion; they might be just the thing. Or in a biggish band (my banding mania had yet to begin when I tried marshmallows :))

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
To be honest, Rob, I used a barbed hook to start off till I got the idea then switched to barbless and used a thick piece of elastic band which kept it in place, the same as you would when fishing a lobworm on barbless. You could also use a maggot or even a grain of corn I guess.

After a bit of experimenting I found the Aldi ones to be heavier and much more squashy than others and was able to freeline them comfortably enough.

You could also use an old fashioned bubble float or a controller and grease / mucilin the line for the last 18 inches / 2ft.

In all honesty, it's incredible fun to fish it in the margins, follow the wind direction and make it look like a piece of bread that's been blown there. Just hide the rod tip so they can't see it and they nearly always take confidently when they decide to have it.

Hang on to the rod though - when they go, they go.......:eek:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Just put the hook through and out the other side, take a boillie stop, or a small bit of grass, put this under the curve of the hook and push the hook back in making sure the point just comes out the side.

That will hold it in place, just like a boillie being held in place on a hair rig.

I dont flavour, just use them as they are, any colour.

If you leave them out of the packet for a while, they get a little harder like a crust that also helps.

seth49

Reaction score
I'm glad they work, I've tried them a few times.always thought they would make a good floater bait.

But I've never had a proper take on one, they just play with them and don't take them properly.

I like them, so they don't get wasted.?

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Never actually tried them but I'd have thought they should be, probably stand in as bread flake. I'll try them over the warmer months. Make an interesting experiment :)

lee_j

Reaction score
How are you hooking them? I tried to use them - hair-rigged - as a pop-up or zigged presentation but they popped off the hair every time. I have some little metal bait screws, but didn't have them with me on that occasion; they might be just the thing. Or in a biggish band (my banding mania had yet to begin when I tried marshmallows

Put rig tubing over your hair then put the marshmallow on mate it will stop the hair cutting through it, use a bit of a match stick for a bait stop.

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, lads :thumbs:

I'll have an experiment with the marsmallows over the close-season - gives me something to do :rolleyes: - and I can always eat them if the fish don't - providing I watch out for the sugar intake!

Nobody commented on their attraction to water-fowl - I mean the marshmallows, Phil :rolleyes: - not that sort of attraction! :eek:mg:

naxian62

Reaction score
Yep, used the mini ones straight on the hook with moderate success, I score better with bread. And yes again the Moorhens and Coots'll go for 'em.
I'm gonna give em another go tomorrow.
Tight lines