The WORST smelling flavorings

Stu69

Reaction score
I've just had a right blocking for making the house stink. I was only using fish meal and halibut oil to make some paste?

It got me wondering what flavours are the worst you have come across?

I'm hoping the Mrs will be talking to me before the river season starts?

john step

Reaction score
Small jar of Marukyu Pelletz that I was conned into paying an arm and leg for with the assurance they were the dogs doodars. Never had a bite on an easy water with them. Switched to bread punch and a roach a chuck.

Made my fingers stink for days like the dogs doodars mentioned above:eek:

robtherake

Reaction score
n-butyric acid's about as bad as it gets when it comes to genuine bait additives. Mine came in a tiny bottle, itself sealed in a larger bottle, which I placed in yet another container inside a disused coal bunker in the yard and you could still smell it in the house! It had to go before 'er indoors tracked it down. :D

Still on bait, the smell from a bucket of dead and decaying worms is utterly putrid.

B

binka

Eel oil!

Had a bottle in the drawer for deadbaits for a fair number of years now, there's no way the stuff can go off as it smelt like liquidised dog $hit when I bought it and still smells like liquidised dog $hit now :eek:mg:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I bought my mates entire collection of gear before he emigrated to Australa 3years ago. Amongst it were numerous bottles of flavourings etc.
The worst one was......

Closely followed by.....

These and many other concoctions have sat unused in my garage for 3 years now.
I'd like to dispose of them but I fear they maybe hazardous waste...:confused:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Still on bait, the smell from a bucket of dead and decaying worms is utterly putrid.

No argument from me on that one. The pong is utterly indescribable .I'm surprised nobody has weaponised this or flogged it to the police for crowd control instead of water cannon.

As for off the shelf flavours Ala Salar is fairly rank stuff.

David Dalton

Reaction score
Lone Angler sausage sizzle doesn't smell too bad the first time you sniff it, but anything that comes near it smells of it for days after, and you don't half get sick of that concentrated frankfurter smell. The Source pen and inks too.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I seem to remember that the original Rod Hutchinson’s seafood blend base mix was a bit potent......

The bad one

Reaction score
The original Monster Crab did it for me :eek: I'm feeling sick just thinking about it. I love crab meat but this stuff smelt nothing like it... bet it didn't taste anything like it either.

boilies for beginners

Reaction score
I used that sweet corn ,liquor stinks throw mine in the bin at a lake in case someone wanted it lol ..and squid and octopus was foul as someone said ,but my own one I still have is by cats n dogs betaine and halibut it blooming reaks like nothing I've ever smelted before it's a little bottle that I've never used because it makes me chuck every time I open it ..so this to will go in the same bin at that lake lol..kind regards

---------- Post added at 05:55 ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 ----------

Ray the day walker ,,,very good I like the sound of the tea sounds the best to me would soon sort them out lol :)

sumtime

Reaction score
I've been in and on some smelly places in my lifetime but the most evil of odours has to be old squid. There was a smell that almost melted our noses about our house once, we searched high and lo, in every orifice and crack that was not human :rolleyes: .

Nada, zilch, we squirted all kinds of disinfectant until a few days later while getting ready for a night's fishing down the Mersey, I took a three tiered small tackle box out of a cupboard I keep some sea fishing gear in.

I found a very small piece of squid, about a 1/4 of an inch long stuck to the handle of the box, must have escaped my eyes from the previous sea visit days earlier.

How something so small can stink the house out like that did is unreal. :eek:

terry m

Reaction score
Richworths concentrated Mackerel Oil, in the small bottles. Super strong and leaves you with kipper fingers for weeks!"

peterjg

Reaction score
Any flavour or bait that works smells lovely!

laguna

Reaction score
...Still on bait, the smell from a bucket of dead and decaying worms is utterly putrid.
As are fried worms! :D

... the most evil of odours has to be old squid.
Got to agree with that, we have two 50L bins full of squid meal at work and every time the lid comes off one I walk the other way! :eek:

No need for the smelliest bait, as long as its naturally smelling and not man made it'll catch a few. :)

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I have a few loafs of green bread ready for the liquidizer, the mould is just beginning to look like the outer case of a cheese. Along with the Stilton that has been hanging around in the shed for about 6 months, soon be time to make some paste :D

thecrow

Reaction score
An essential oil, Mexican Onion Oil, stuff was in a bottle in a sealed bag inside a screw top container and you could still smell it, there was only 10ml in the bottle and we used to cut it with olive oil, it stunk but I caught everywhere I used it.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"only 10ml in the bottle and we used to cut it with olive oil"

Did you ever catch a cold while using it?
My old chemistry teacher, in on of his "up the garden path" digressions about handling concentrated fluids, used to mention an old onion-extract-based cold remedy called something like Yardil, which actually seemed to work!
It fell victim to some tit of a journalist who "exposed" it as being over 99% water in one of the schlock-horror rags of the day; the case went to court and even a judge couldn't comprehend that Joe Public hasn't got the equipment for handling sub-microlitre quantities of heap potent medicine lying about in the kitchen drawer... probably arts grads, the pair of 'em, we concluded ... but orn'ry anglers had no difficulty with the notion, it appears!