The Big Perch Debate

D

Drew McDonald

I see that we have a bit of a war going on between two fishing mags,why would anyone want to name a pond when the owner didn't want it to be named,isn't that a bit like I work for this publication and I can do what I want syndrome,I have read both articals and was amazed at the way one of them said that the lad had a "fluke and that his tackle was a basic set up" or words to that,does it really matter what the lad was using,he caught it didn't he? we as anglers get ourselves all tied up in the idea that we have to use certain tackle for certain jobs,well this lad just proved that we dont,people have been fishing and catching long before todays tackle came on the market, I think we should give the lad a pat on the back for showing us that we all have our own heads up our own butts,basic is the way to go,good for him I say and I hope his next fish is a big un too.

K

Kevan Farmer

I do agree Drew. As another example of the simplest set working you only have to look back to Chris Yate's record carp. Cane rod, cente pin reel and plain old sweetcorn for bait. No rod pod, buzzers or any of the other ironmongery in sight. I don't knock the use of this gear - I use it myself - but sometimes I think we lose sight of the easy path. Fishing does not have to be all complicated knots and hair rigs. Technology and inovation have their places in angling but they should only step in when the simpler route does not work.

At the end of the day this lad was in the right place at the right time. The fish was hungry and it fancied what was being offered as bait. The lad's presentation was correct and the sum all added up to a result.

Kevan