Abu Garcia 507MKII

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well bit the bullet and brought myself the above reel .

Not had chance to try it yet that will have to wait till Saturday afternoon but on looking at it and loading line i have already found a problem that makes no sense at all .

When you try to fit a bobin onto the carrier there is no way you can generate enough friction on the drag to allow the bobin to clip in/on correctly , Has anyone else found this i can actually see what the problem is but wondered if i was one of the few with this problem .....

Hope to sole the issue by Saturday as i am looking forward to trying this reel out as i have wanted one for many many years .

PG ...

greenie62

Reaction score
...When you try to fit a bobin onto the carrier there is no way you can generate enough friction on the drag to allow the bobin to clip in/on correctly , Has anyone else found this i can actually see what the problem is but wondered if i was one of the few with this problem ........

Hi maggot_dangler,
I've been using one of the very similar new 506mkIIs for the last year or so and have had some initial probs with the spool fitting onto the carrier, where the spool's pins didn't lock into the keyhole-shaped slots. I don't use the drag for this - I just clamp the carrier plate by pressing the drive-lock button, rotate the spool/bobbin gently until I can feel the pins engage, push into place, then twist a few degrees to lock in position, screw-up the bale-pin rotor, twist on the cone, release the drive-lock button - and you should be good to go.

I found one of the problems with locating the spool / bobbin was caused by the locating pins being a loose push-fit and one had dropped out. The dealer replaced the spool on next visit. I checked the spare spools and found the pins could be 'persuaded' to pop-out of the spools - so decided a quick bit of preventative maintenance was called for by EvoSticking them into place - making sure they were all protruding the same amount from the back of the spool.

Seems to be OK now - hope yours is as easily fixed and you enjoy using it at the weekend :thumbs:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Hi maggot_dangler,
I've been using one of the very similar new 506mkIIs for the last year or so and have had some initial probs with the spool fitting onto the carrier, where the spool's pins didn't lock into the keyhole-shaped slots. I don't use the drag for this - I just clamp the carrier plate by pressing the drive-lock button, rotate the spool/bobbin gently until I can feel the pins engage, push into place, then twist a few degrees to lock in position, screw-up the bale-pin rotor, twist on the cone, release the drive-lock button - and you should be good to go.

I found one of the problems with locating the spool / bobbin was caused by the locating pins being a loose push-fit and one had dropped out. The dealer replaced the spool on next visit. I checked the spare spools and found the pins could be 'persuaded' to pop-out of the spools - so decided a quick bit of preventative maintenance was called for by EvoSticking them into place - making sure they were all protruding the same amount from the back of the spool.

Seems to be OK now - hope yours is as easily fixed and you enjoy using it at the weekend :thumbs:

Morning Greenie .

Ok

I was lookinbg for some means of locking the drive but could not find one on the 507 , i thought it was something of an omission in the design will have to have another good crawl around the reel see if i can find a lock althou i can see nothing that would lock the drive plate so far maybe i have missed it never know ..

Thanks

PG ...

trotter2

Reaction score
I dont have one off those new 507s, so sorry cant help. But Jimmy has one, could be worth asking if he has a similar problem mate? :thumbs:

Tales of a River Angler

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I dont have one off those new 507s, so sorry cant help. But Jimmy has one, could be worth asking if he has a similar problem mate? :thumbs:

Tales of a River Angler

Hi Trotter2

Ok thanks for that i may well tap him up but it seems i have found the problem it seems to lie in the plate that carries the bobin the for ears appeared to be bent down too far leveled them up and the bobin now locates quite nicely will find out tomorow no doubt thanks for the suggestions folks i will post tomorow as to my success or failure ...

Cheers

PG ...

trotter2

Reaction score
Good luck mate, hope it works out Ok for you.

Cheers

dannyboy1

Reaction score
That's not the heavy gold one is it from about 94 time

Sent from my HUAWEI Y360-U31 using Tapatalk

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
That's not the heavy gold one is it from about 94 time

Sent from my HUAWEI Y360-U31 using Tapatalk

Hi dannyboy

Nope more normal colouring dark grey with bits of chrome and red print with a ratio of 4.5:1 as opposed to i think it was 3.9:1 on the earlier ones .

But got it sused it seems now , I was hoping to get out today but had some muppet back out of a drive and hit me so got way laid sorting that out no narm done just frikin annoying and a slightly dented N/S fron wing .. :mad: .

To be told by the guilty party i am a professional driver so it's your fault my reply is un printable :wh .

PG...

B

binka

I was hoping to get out today but had some muppet back out of a drive and hit me so got way laid sorting that out no narm done just frikin annoying and a slightly dented N/S fron wing .. :mad: .

To be told by the guilty party i am a professional driver so it's your fault my reply is un printable :wh .

PG...

Ooooh, sorry to hear about that MD, I hope you don't get to the next level.

I had a very slight incident many years ago in Perry Barr when I touched the bumper of a taxi in front of me, the taxi never moved an inch and neither vehicle was remotely damaged but low and behold some days later I received a letter from a sandwich board law firm in Handsworth (surrrrprise!) claiming for personal injury damages to the driver and two passengers.

I ignored their letter and received a further letter informing me that it was a legal requirement to respond and so I did.

Along with an image of the claimants empty, other than himself, vehicle and a warning that insurance fraud was a serious criminal offence including those that have aided and abetted after being furnished with the facts and choosing to ignore them.

Never heard from them again :)

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Ooooh, sorry to hear about that MD, I hope you don't get to the next level.

I had a very slight incident many years ago in Perry Barr when I touched the bumper of a taxi in front of me, the taxi never moved an inch and neither vehicle was remotely damaged but low and behold some days later I received a letter from a sandwich board law firm in Handsworth (surrrrprise!) claiming for personal injury damages to the driver and two passengers.

I ignored their letter and received a further letter informing me that it was a legal requirement to respond and so I did.

Along with an image of the claimants empty, other than himself, vehicle and a warning that insurance fraud was a serious criminal offence including those that have aided and abetted after being furnished with the facts and choosing to ignore them.

Never heard from them again :)

Hi Binka .

Yep nice one does not surprise me at all around there this was Bearwood not too far up the road from there total muppets but ho humm much as i would have loved to but the ouik on his back i did not ( thats not say a convienient dark ally willnever come usefull) :wh :eek:mg:. :)

PG ...

greenie62

Reaction score
....was lookinbg for some means of locking the drive but could not find one on the 507 , i thought it was something of an omission in the design.....

I agree with you there! Went to my local tackle-shop this afto - to see for myself - couldn't unscrew the bale-pin cover - no lock button at all - didn't want to use excessive force/grip - so chucked it to the assistant and said: "ere pal - 'ow dya change the spool on this then eh?". After he broke into a sweat trying to grip/turn it, as well as hold the crank still, at the same time - he gave it to one of his colleagues with bigger hands - who managed to undo it - declaring "Sum beggars overtightened it!"

Young lad then showed me how to remove the spool and refit it - whereupon it failed to lock in position and took him 5 tries to get it to hold!

I think I'll stick with the 506mkII until the 507mkIII comes out! :eek:mg:

trotter2

Reaction score
I had a couple of looks at one in my local tackle shop a wile ago when they first came out, never tried to take the spool out.
Must admit I did not like it, Its very bulky and heavy reminds me of the Goldmax 507. But each to there own :)
For me personally I prefer the smaller compact original 501 or the newer 706 or even the 506 mk2 all lovely reels IMO.
If you must have a bigger CF reel I would recommend the Ryobi green techno match.
Abu have got it so wrong with this new 507 but that's just IMO :)

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well out sunday gave this new 507 a whirl .

Casting out very nice smooth easy with reliable casts of light tackle but get a fish of a pound or so on and it does not wind in anything like as smooth the bobin carrier seems to have way too much play making it catch the cover as you reel in ,
Methinks this may go back the Abu it aint not right .

PG ...

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well i had a good crawl around this reel last night and to say the engineering is **** is to be polite found the reason for the bad reel in gears over meshed due to packing on bearings in the wrong place and an almost total lack of any form of lubrication that was an easy fix .

The steadiness of the platform that the bobin locates on is another thing very bad design , a sloppy fit on the centre along with a complete lack of any form of guide just one small pin rinning in a small hole no wonder it moves .

All easily fixable in manufacture with proper quality control , I am thinking of machining up a new platform from a piece of ally to correct fit easy enough to fit not sure yet .

PG ...

robtherake

Reaction score
And this is the same company that made the iconic Ambassadeur 7000, Cardinal 55 and the Suveran range of reels? How times change. :(

Keith M

Reaction score
How can anyone make a reel that's as simple as the old Abu500 and get it wrong?

The simple gearing on my original Swedish Abu506 (which is still going strong) hardly needs rocket science to reproduce but they still manage to get it wrong.

Keith

lambert1

Reaction score
I have got one of the new 506 reels and was mortified when I realised that it is now made in China:eek: It works ok, but some of the paint has already worn off and it feels tinny (sorry but I am no engineer:D) I don't have a lot of confidence in it to be honest, but will see how it goes. It is certainly very easy to use however.