What's next on the agenda

lee_j

Reaction score
Just wondering what all you river lads have got planned to fill the gap till June ?
Me I'm blowing the dust off the carp gear there's more than a good few carp waters on my club ticket I've not had a proper crack at yet , I've already picked one out to concentrate on and having a look round this weekend I'll probably have a session midweek and get a feel for it gotta make the most of being on the sick :D , anyway what's your plan ? Spill the beans ya dark horse ;)

B

binka

Eventually i'll be looking to crucians and tench with a bit of light carping thrown in for good measure, plenty of general waggler sessions and I ought to get out on a canal as it's been a fair while since I last did... Maybe a bit of canal perching?

Currently I'm bogged down doing the annual strip down of the gear in the garage to get the place cleaned up, de-gunking a season's worth of grime off of rods and stripping, cleaning and greasing reels along with all the more mundane jobs such as straightening banksticks etc to make sure everything's bob on for the start of the new season.

Had four days at it on and off but hoping to get it finished over the weekend and possibly out Sunday, not sure where but I've got several yards of worms on standby :)

lee_j

Reaction score
Eventually i'll be looking to crucians and tench with a bit of light carping thrown in for good measure, plenty of general waggler sessions and I ought to get out on a canal as it's been a fair while since I last did... Maybe a bit of canal perching?

Had four days at it on and off but hoping to get it finished over the weekend and possibly out Sunday, not sure where but I've got several yards of worms on standby :)

Canal perching ! Do you do any drop shotting mate , I've not had a go at it yet , I'm not much of a lure angler really but I do fancy a crack at this method I've been thinking about having a good go towards the end of the year

B

binka

Canal perching ! Do you do any drop shotting mate , I've not had a go at it yet , I'm not much of a lure angler really but I do fancy a crack at this method I've been thinking about having a good go towards the end of the year

I did a fair bit back in the early days of it becoming popular but had dismal results, never caught anything above a few ounces despite giving it a good go although I'd like to re-approach it after having a re-think on lure colour.

Really handy for just grabbing a small amount of kit on impulse and disappearing for a couple of hours.

Most likely this time around i'll be worming for perch though.

lee_j

Reaction score
I did a fair bit back in the early days of it becoming popular but had dismal results, never caught anything above a few ounces despite giving it a good go although I'd like to re-approach it after having a re-think on lure colour.

I take it the water you was fishing holds good perch then ? What's the score with pike takes on it aswell mate from what I've seen its just using fluorocarbon so surely your gonna get bitten off ?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
As most regulars on here know I don't fish for Coarse fish during the Close Season.

In fact I rarely bother until late August before going back to the rivers but will take the occasional lake trip in the Summer.

I fill my time with my fly fishing between now and mid summer both on lakes and my local rivers.

B

binka

I take it the water you was fishing holds good perch then ? What's the score with pike takes on it aswell mate from what I've seen its just using fluorocarbon so surely your gonna get bitten off ?

I was definitely fishing waters with big perch and some banker spots too, pike didn't really seem to bother for some reason maybe because they like a faster moving target but Drennan do a very supple and knottable soft steel if there's a likelihood they are around.

It's good stuff too, I took a 21lb+ pike whilst using the 10lb as a bit of insurance whilst river perching...

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Like the majority anglers i turn to the pits and lakes, the close season is the biggest joke in angling now, and is out of date.

There is no difference between river fish to stillwater fish, simple as.

I was against the close season going at first, but the whole of angling has been proved wrong, and some of the best fishing is just starting.

I dont do commie's unless it is for charity.

robtherake

Reaction score
I was definitely fishing waters with big perch and some banker spots too, pike didn't really seem to bother for some reason maybe because they like a faster moving target but Drennan do a very supple and knottable soft steel if there's a likelihood they are around.

It's good stuff too, I took a 21lb+ pike whilst using the 10lb as a bit of insurance whilst river perching...

Some clubs insist on it. This is an excerpt from the perch page on the Farnham AS website:

"Remember Byelaw 4.s.ii l. – Requiring that when Perch fishing with live or dead baits or lure fishing, a wire trace must be used."

Farnham Angling Society Species - Perch

bracket

Reaction score
For me it will be a case of packing away the river gear and concentrating on catching skimmer bream using the pole. To my mind there in nothing more satisfying than a good net of skimmers, with the odd proper bream thrown in. I find I am able to get a nice rhythm going and maintain a steady catch rate, without it being too strenuous. Once the swim has been built up, bites are one a drop, until of course you get that sudden quiet period when you know, shortly, you will be hanging on to the pole like grim death whilst some poxy carp goes mental, before ragging your rig and scattering the skimmers. Then it's back to the beginning again. At the end of the session, lathered in ground bait and the backside of my Levis covered in snot, I can wend my way to Pub confident I will get plenty of elbow room at the bar. That's as close to Paradise as it gets I think. Pete.

john step

Reaction score
Scratching about here and there for whatever will bite until the water warms up enough for tincas and cruciuans.

simon dunbar

Reaction score
My oldest p.b. is my eel p.b. of 3 lbs 4 oz , so I thought for a change I would try and beat that , so I am planning some eel fishing on a couple of likely lakes during the river close season.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I shall be alternatively trout fishing or down at Bury Hill after the crucians/tench. I do love a bit of spring buzzer fishing for trout.

Hahaha buzzers for trout, isn't that like feeder fishing for Grayling ??

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

. . . and I thought you didn't "do" the bite alarm thing . . .

;)

Next it will be a Bivvy and Bedchair Peter :D

terry m

Reaction score
I generally observe the first couple of months of the closed season. I am always quite happy to hang my kit up for a couple of months.

The break works well for me, I schedule much of my long haul work during this period which allows me more time fishing at the times of the year that suit me. I may just sneak out for a bit of carp fishing on a local pit when I return from ANZ in late may, but only if the weather is kind!

flightliner

Reaction score
I will most likely have a few mini sessions on the river Don fly fishing for the brown trout that reside there, then a trip or two on a big res for stillwater rainbow or brownie.
Some canal perch are calling too along witha few roach on a more local reservoir.

Keith M

Reaction score
I'll be concentrating on Tench and Crucians mainly, intermingled with the occasional session after Carp; plus the very occasional wander along the canal with some live minnows or small lures after Perch.

Plus the occasional wander along the rivers and streams with my polaroids on; longing for the 16th of June to arrive.

Keith

Last edited:

craig1970

Reaction score
off up the canal after some perch dropshotting,and floatfished worm havent been for a while looking forward to it guys.