''The fluke phenomenon''

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Have you ever caught a ''cracker'' of a different species whilst targeting something else?

I have, after years of trying to catch a five pound Chub by traditional methods from the Yorkshire rivers and failing. Imagine my surprise and disappointment some twenty odd years later in achieving that very goal, whilst lure fishing for Pike in a weirpool on the river Trent. As if to rub salt into the wound that particular Chub went over ''six'' pounds. Despite encouragement from friends I could not take any credit or comfort from the capture. Would you?

steve2

Reaction score
Seeing as all my best fish have been caught when just out fishing for what ever comes along. Yes I do get enjoyment from catching them and regard them as good catches.
Are not all personal best just fluke captures?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting question Derek.

Having spent over a decade in the 80's singularly fishing for Carp I had many a side-catch of large Bream and Tench but never really claimed them as I felt is just not right as I was deliberately targeting the Carp.

On the other hand when targeting Roach and Chub on my local rivers I was always happy, and bragged about it too, to catch some decent Dace.

As you know I spend a lot of time in the Close Season fly fishing and even there the odd specimen Grayling is very welcome, and again bragged about, even if targeting the Brown trout with a dry fly.

So my answer would be a (typical?) Yes . . erm, and No

barbelboi

Reaction score
I believe I’ve mentioned this before. My first double figure barbel (10.04) was taken from Marlow weir in the early 70’s on a minnow live bait meant for one of the large resident chub. The previous day, and most of that day, I couldn’t buy a bite on meat for the barbel so I thought I’d have a species change. At the time I was unaware that minnow was a good early season bait for barbel so yes, it was a bit of surprise – although I wasn’t toooooo upset and a couple of pints at the Marlow Donkey soon cheered me up............

rayner

Reaction score
The only time I ever target a particular species is when Roach fishing.
My main bag is numbers rather than size. I love catching every cast, easy some days.
I have caught one or two decent fish but don't kid myself they're anything other than luck, as far as I'm concerned a fish is just a fish.

To my mind set life's too short to sit there waiting for something to happen
If targeting one species or even one particular fish as some do is the way you get your fun I sort of understand that.

I get far more enjoyment from catching fish rather than sit there in the peg waiting for the fish to turn up.
I'd much rather catch a good net of small fish than search for a certain size.
There's no way I would say specimen type angling is easy, just putting the time in takes effort or fishing some waters costs a good deal of cash.
Each to their own.

wanderer

Reaction score
I will tell you a little story from Grafham water, many years ago, a renowned trout angler who happened to own a china retail business in Northampton, and some of you will know who i am talking about, took an Italian Capo Dimonte dealer trout fishing. The guy was a pain in the butt and he was taken to the local hostelry for lunch, he spied a big stuffed pike in a case and asked our hero whether he could catch something similar. Leadcore lines and black lures ensued, a trip to the dam, the guy kept getting snagged on the bottom during some illegal trolling, and eventually the rod was grabbed by our hero to free the twentieth or so incident, it moved and powered off, after a massive fight the beast was landed, a Pike of massive proportions, we saw this beast, 40 plus, never weighed, and our pal claimed the Italian was praying in the bows, dont know whether i beleived that, but the fish, which was illegally returned was something to behold.

robtherake

Reaction score
I fluked a 3-7 grayling during a winter barbel fishing session on the lower Swale. It surprised the life out of me when it surfaced, having fought much like a small barbel, and was the only fish I caught that day. I'd have rather caught it on the trot, but one takes the gifts of the gods regardless. I'll never forget it, that's for sure.

Second fluke (I say fluke, because at the time I was bagging up on see-through perch and mini-roach) was the capture of a large number of big roach from a three-acre fire-emergency reservoir - with 12 of two pounds and over - during a massive summer thunderstorm lasting about 20 minutes. I've never caught another roach from that place in excess of a pound, before or since. It was clearly a case of the right place at the right time, but entirely unexpected and all the more thrilling for that. Am I bothered that it was a fluke? Nope, I'll take 'em however they come and be grateful for it. :D

Edit - I was using a glass rod for the roach (a Shakespeare Sigma Canal) so less danger of being zapped, but it was as terrifying as it was exhilarating, that's for sure.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Have you ever caught a ''cracker'' of a different species whilst targeting something else?

I have, after years of trying to catch a five pound Chub by traditional methods from the Yorkshire rivers and failing. Imagine my surprise and disappointment some twenty odd years later in achieving that very goal, whilst lure fishing for Pike in a weirpool on the river Trent. As if to rub salt into the wound that particular Chub went over ''six'' pounds. Despite encouragement from friends I could not take any credit or comfort from the capture. Would you?

Derek, you were fishing for a predator so I see no reason for not claiming the chub.
If I,m fishing a float day on the Trent with maggot I fully expect my catch to contain several differant species that all count in making up my bag.
Many years ago I fished in many a fenland match, be they big opens, big firms , working mens clubs and pubs to simple coach sweepstakes.
I won two matches with last gasp pike that took a falling bait, no real credit on my part but those two wins were genuine flukes.;)

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Derek, you were fishing for a predator so I see no reason for not claiming the chub.
If I,m fishing a float day on the Trent with maggot I fully expect my catch to contain several differant species that all count in making up my bag.
Many years ago I fished in many a fenland match, be they big opens, big firms , working mens clubs and pubs to simple coach sweepstakes.
I won two matches with last gasp pike that took a falling bait, no real credit on my part but those two wins were genuine flukes.;)

Mick, I take your point, but given the gear I was using at the time there was little pleasure to be gained ie- Jerkbait rod and fifty pound Power Pro. Had I been using my lighter Perch set up then yes it would have been a different story.

robtherake

Reaction score
I see your point, Derek, but is it really worth agonising over? At the end of the day you've seen and held the fish you always wanted to catch, regardless of the situation. I appreciate that you were over-gunned and it would have been more satisfying on matched gear, but you put the fish on the bank by fair means so no disgrace, not in my eyes. These uncommon happenings just add extra spice to what is already a pretty thrilling sport to its aficionados.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
An angler fising on one of my club stretches of river last weekend was targetting chub and barbel using a maggot feeder with maggots on the hook and he caught a 3lb 2 ounce roach!...nice fluke to have.

The bad one

Reaction score
All my fish are targeted and caught through targeting them, never a fluke amongst them......honest :D Oh and I brag about them all :D Particularly the big brownies I get on targeted pellet to fluff chuckers :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All my fish are targeted and caught through targeting them, never a fluke amongst them......honest :D Oh and I brag about them all :D Particularly the big brownies I get on targeted pellet to fluff chuckers :D

If I remember rightly Phil, whilst answering a call of nature your bezzie m8 did a big brownie in his onezy hood while he was bivvied up on one of our still waters and didn't even know the rotted sloppy brownie was in there "all effin night"! :eek:mg: I remember this chap saying how he went talkin' to your best pal in the morning and noticed the cloud of bluebottles landing on his back (where it had ran down) and in his hood. He said he smelled it first then saw "the brownie" :eek::eek: and proceeded to heave as he legged it !!

simon dunbar

Reaction score
I have told this story on here before , I was pike fishing on the Dorset Stour some years ago when my gudgeon bait was taken by what I thought during the fight was going to be a new personal best Pike , but actually turned out to be a 9 lbs 9 oz Sea Bass !!
An angler a couple of swims up the river thought I was an idiot when I asked if he could take a photo of me with a Bass , but the look on his face as I lifted it from the weigh sling was priceless !

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so fussy as to not claim a fairly-hooked fish - just offset it against the number of times that sailaway roach bite was a bleak; those carp runs from bream; the three-foot twitch from a three-ounce dace and the tap-tap-bonk perfect roach bites on expensive great lumps of Cracker-Barrel cheddar that produce a blasted eel.
You'll soon see the "good" flukes as a pretty meagre payback.

seth49

Reaction score
My best ever roach, was caught on two lobs and ten pound line.
When I was free lining for salmon.
On the ribble, it was just under two pounds.?

greenie62

Reaction score
...on the Dorset Stour some years ago when my gudgeon bait was taken by what I thought during the fight was going to be a new personal best Pike , but actually turned out to be a 9 lbs 9 oz Sea Bass !!.....

On Throop 40 years ago, a young lad wondered up to us as I was talking to the bailiff on my way home - he asked us for help with weighing a fish 'cos he'd caught a 'funny' roach! :eek: The bailiff went down and had a look and weighed it for him - pointing out that the 4lb 11oz 'funny roach' was actually a Grey Mullet! :eek:mg:

The bailiff went on to tell us of the variety of sea fish that found their way up the Stour and that mullet whilst unusual weren't that uncommon - but probably not worth 'targetting'. :rolleyes:

The 'migrant' problem isn't just a recent phenomenon! :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Many years ago on the Kennet I'd had a fairly unsuccessful day trying to catch one of the big roach that I thought might frequent the stretch in question. By mid afternoon all I'd had was a trio of chub.....not a sniff of a roach, so I thought the hell with this and set up a blockend to see if I could winkle a barbel out.

After 30 mins of casting & re-casting said barbel duly turned up and I thought "here we go,I might get one or two now". Next cast the rod hooped over...and [you guessed it]...roach. 2lb 3 oz.

Utter fluke and no fun whatever on a barbel rod and 8lb line.