Team Diawa 'X' reels

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Having realised I'd left my favourite reel at home I set up my 3000 Stradic with a waggler on the river and was surprised how big and uncomfortable it felt. Looks like it will be going to live in Wales where various other tackle is in semi retirement and a "smaller" replacement obtained.

I like the Shimano Ci4 reels but had a look at the Diawa on Friday.These have been reduced by a third compared to RRP by a large angling chain and look a decent piece of kit (even comes with a double handle option:p). Anyone got one, or any info, good or bad on it.

B

binka

I've been using one for around four/five years, best drag I've ever known bar none.

I did a good deal of barbelling with it in its early days and thought I might have mashed the gears up but a good strip down and clean saw it as good as new again.

I would definitely recommend it, compact and a delight to use with the waggler for silvers and will handle just about anything you throw at it.

If it's survived that long with me it has to be decent :)

I'm also running three of the TDX predecessors from the late 90's, lovely little reels even against todays offerings.

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I go Diawa reels over shimmies any day, unless you have the old shimmies from Japan, they don't make um like they used to.