Sports Direct Sale

barbelboi

Reaction score
Jerry, that really is a bargain.

Do you reckon they mean the usual weed green colour when they state "clear"?

Steve, unless things have changed recently Pro-Gold is green and I believe that Pro-Clear only comes in 8lb upwards............

Last edited:
B

binka

Steve, unless things have changed recently Pro-Gold is green and I believe that Pro-Clear only comes in 8lb upwards............

Thanks Jerry :thumbs:

I knew they did a Pro-Clear but it just threw me with the colour listed as clear instead of the usual weed green, wish this offer was on a few weeks ago when I loaded eight spools up.

Never mind though, I still ordered three spools for the ones I've yet to do :)

Ironic that that their massive distribution depot is around four miles from here with a huge superstore bolted on next to it but it's not available to pick up in store lol.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I was in SD today.

Hardly had any stuff at all, plenty of diem cloths, but i don't rate their stuff.

Sea fishing kits, a few poles, (some serving as always), boots and a few reels, that was it.

I asked where all the other gear was, we don't have it they said. I told them the website showed lots of gear, i was then told, nothing new there either, they are alway putting gear on the site, and most of the time, they don't have it, or only a couple of stores will have it.

Going to have a look tomorrow at another store i am going past.

Didn't get anything in the end

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We all love a bargain, myself included, but I urge you to boycott any businesses run by Mike Ashley. The staff are treated appallingly, zero respect, zero hour contracts...........all so we can enjoy a cheap bargain. Spend a bit extra with your local tackle shop.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
We all love a bargain, myself included, but I urge you to boycott any businesses run by Mike Ashley. The staff are treated appallingly, zero respect, zero hour contracts...........all so we can enjoy a cheap bargain. Spend a bit extra with your local tackle shop.

To a point i agree, but its not a few extra quid.

I bought a new case for my snooker Cue, £24;99 in Direct sport, the next best price was £50, and that was discounted. I also bought a Cue extension, again half price.

As much as I don't like Ashley, i am not going to pay double when theres a bargain.

tom_moran

Reaction score
I bought about 65 quids worth of stuff from the sale for 21 quid yesterday. Decent saving and most of it decent bait too. The shaky agility wand is a steal

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I've not got a clue who Mike Ashby is, i've nowt against him. I do buy from my local tackle shops, but.....if I can get a bargain i'll go for it.
Regarding the treatment of the staff, there's plenty other buisnesses that treat their staff exactly the same, some very large ones that most people use every week!

lambert1

Reaction score
I am with S63 on this one and I will not use Amazon for the same reason. Sports Direct/Dragon Carp were doing a roaring trade at the Big One last Saturday too, but it was the only stall I did not visit. I managed to get what I needed from independent stalls at some very decent discounts too and I was happy with that. I must stress that this is a personal stance and I am not for a moment criticizing those that do use them. One store I did find that is worth monitoring is onepoundfishingtackle.co.uk, which is the angling equivalent of Poundland, but for known makes. Might not have anything you need at present, but stock is constantly changing.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am with S63 on this one and I will not use Amazon for the same reason. Sports Direct/Dragon Carp were doing a roaring trade at the Big One last Saturday too, but it was the only stall I did not visit. I managed to get what I needed from independent stalls at some very decent discounts too and I was happy with that. I must stress that this is a personal stance and I am not for a moment criticizing those that do use them. One store I did find that is worth monitoring is onepoundfishingtackle.co.uk, which is the angling equivalent of Poundland, but for known makes. Might not have anything you need at present, but stock is constantly changing.

I've never bought anything from sports direct but after Andy put up that link I think i will be.
There's a lot of known makes advertised in the link. For example...kamasan animal barbed spade end hooks for 25p a packet...in the shops they're £1.35p a packet....now that's a seriously good bargain imo depending on what they're gonn'a be charging for post.
Most shops don't want to give any discount at all so I have no sympathy for them when they fold!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've never bought anything from sports direct but after Andy put up that link I think i will be.
There's a lot of known makes advertised in the link. For example...kamasan animal barbed spade end hooks for 25p a packet...in the shops they're £1.35p a packet....now that's a seriously good bargain imo depending on what they're gonn'a be charging for post.
Most shops don't want to give any discount at all so I have no sympathy for them when they fold!

If the likes of Sports Direct cause the dwindling number of indie tackle shops to "fold" it will be a very sad and bad day for angling. Where will you get your helpful advice, local knowledge, a friendly cuppa, a pint of maggots?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
SD aren't going to kill the tackle trade, they don't do enough gear, or good enough gear. Yes they have some brand names, but theres a lot of Mickey mouse stuff.

Most stores don't have the stock anyway, and i don't buy on line.

lambert1

Reaction score

I may be wrong, but I believe the minimum postage cost for SD is £4.99

B

binka

I may be wrong, but I believe the minimum postage cost for SD is £4.99

That's what I was charged earlier today on three spools of Pro-Gold, the crafty gits also stuck on some magazine for a quid by default at the checkout which I was able to remove.

Even with the delivery charge added it still only cost me fourteen pounds something instead of £36.

What I do think is a con is the deliberate overpricing of rrp's on own brand/white box product so that the discounts look even more attractive, it seems to be the way with so many industries these days but just loses confidence in them and raises suspicions and awareness imo.

lambert1

Reaction score
I seem to recall Steve that in a program I saw about SD (possibly Dispatches) that there was some very dodgy practices regarding discounted prices and stated RRP. Glad you still got yourself a good deal though mate:D

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thanks Jerry :thumbs:

I knew they did a Pro-Clear but it just threw me with the colour listed as clear instead of the usual weed green, wish this offer was on a few weeks ago when I loaded eight spools up.

Never mind though, I still ordered three spools for the ones I've yet to do :)

Ironic that that their massive distribution depot is around four miles from here with a huge superstore bolted on next to it but it's not available to pick up in store lol.

On second thoughts Steve, in view of the above posts, maybe it's been left in the sun too long and turned clear.............;)