A little adventure

tom_moran

Reaction score
Well I've loved around this area for years and while a teenager I'd always heard about some carp ponds in savernake forest, at the time I had lost interest in fishing but since I've got back on the rods I decided to go for a walk In the woods after work tonight to see what was up there. I have done some research via talking to a few older locals recently and they were sure the ponds had all been filled in and we're long gone.

I did some searching on Google maps and found what looked to be a pond that was still there. Turns out it was, it's called Thornhill pond. It's relatively small but looks nice and had more frogs/toads in it than I've ever seen in once place before. I took a rod with a few small pva bags of little pellets and had a cast and settled down to some music to wait.

And....... I'm fairly certain there's not a single fish in it ?

Was a nice little adventure though
aa3e59bfea8e38278308e43c5738ebd0.jpg

tom_moran

Reaction score
Well, I had hoped so but I sat there for two hours. Chucked some ground bait, some hemp and some corn in three different areas and saw nothing. I may go back at some stage. But here's the thing. Nobody knows who owns the land so I suppose it's technically poaching. Maybe a grey area I was treading on but with good intentions.

---------- Post added at 15:17 ---------- Previous post was at 15:16 ----------

I think I'll do more research if i ever do go back with a rod

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Looks a bit like a little pond I knew once, it was very weedy in the summer and it had a lot of small Rudd in it. I was told there were a few small tench in it as well although I did not catch one, just the small Rudd..
If your pond is the same it may be the fish are not feeding yet, its still pretty cold and especially these shallow ponds; temperatures will drop quickly during the night.. Maybe you aught to try it when it warms up Tom. At least you have more chance of discovering whats in it.

B

binka

It looks perchy to me, but then my bathroom wash hand basin does at the moment... I'm gagging to get out tomorrow.

Might be worth another go at it with a more general type of bait such as worm or maggot to see if there's anything else in there?

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
It looks perchy to me, but then my bathroom wash hand basin does at the moment... I'm gagging to get out tomorrow.

Might be worth another go at it with a more general type of bait such as worm or maggot to see if there's anything else in there?

Have you been close enough to it to offer such a comparison?? :D

B

binka

Can't get near it Phil, too many damned reeds growing out the plug 'ole :)

tom_moran

Reaction score
Cheers for the replies gents, I did have a red and white fake maggot on the hook but had no live ones with me. I had a little dig about for worms but couldn't find any. I'll go back in a couple of months and have a go again. I'd like to see what the water level is in summer time aswell.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
A tip I was given years ago is when approaching new ponds, start with pinkies on a 22 or a 24.

I guess if you don't catch on that, it really IS Binks' bathroom :)