I mended my pole...

fishplate42

Reaction score
break.jpg

Last week I broke the No.4 section of my pole :(

Not being one to let a little thing like that stop me I decided to mend it. You can see how HERE .

Just thought you might be interested. It is not as hard to do once you have built an accurate jig to hole the sections perfectly in line.

Ralph ;)

greenie62

Reaction score
Another good Blog write-up Ralph :thumbs:

Have you had a chance to field-test the repair yet? Verdict?

As a matter of interest - will the jig be usable for other pole sections?

Any tips for a similar jig for a rod repair - allowing for a steeper-tapered blank?

Cheers & Tight Lines :thumbs:

fishplate42

Reaction score
Another good Blog write-up Ralph :thumbs:

Have you had a chance to field-test the repair yet? Verdict?

As a matter of interest - will the jig be usable for other pole sections?

Any tips for a similar jig for a rod repair - allowing for a steeper-tapered blank?

Cheers & Tight Lines :thumbs:

Not had a chance to try it yet, only just done it. Looks like Thursday next week is in the cards. It is stronger than the original pole as it has a couple of extra layers of carbon than it had so it should not break. it is just a matter of how it effects the handling. At my level of experience I doubt I will notice the difference.

The jig will support any section that has diameter greater than 18mm. However this can be reduced by replacing the spacer for a thinner one.

The 'steapness' (if that is a word!) of the taper will have no bearing on the function of the jig providing the thinnest part is of greater diameter than the distance between the two outside pieces.

Ralph.

robtherake

Reaction score
Nice, tidy set-up, Ralph. I should grab a snap of the interior of my big ol' garden shed as a "before" comparison shot. There's a bench in there somewhere....:D

bracket

Reaction score
Sound advice Ralph. Out of interest can the kit be used to build up worn joints? Pete.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Sound advice Ralph. Out of interest can the kit be used to build up worn joints? Pete.

It really depends on how much build is needed. The main concern with building the joints is that it has to be made as 'round' and smooth as possible. Any lumps in the joint will cause excessive stress points that my end up cracking one of the mating pieces.

The kit is just a collection of small quantities of resin, hardener and carbon fibre mat. The other stuff is really only there to make the kit 'complete'. You can buy all the stuff you need separately.

Ralph.

dannyboy1

Reaction score
Great post, I don't think I'd be able to do that, well I would but I think Id mess the first one or three up lol

Sent from my HP 8 G2 using Tapatalk

fishplate42

Reaction score
Great post, I don't think I'd be able to do that, well I would but I think Id mess the first one or three up lol

It is not as hard as you might think. Making the jig is the key. Get that right and the rest is easy. It probably took me twice as long to make the jig tan it did to mend the pole!

Ralph ;)