Marlow AC or Interype AC

jac77794

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I fished as a kid a bit and stopped and now have got back from uni and want to fish now. I am thinking of joining either Marlow or intertype AC as I live in Beaconsfield.

I just want to pleasure angle for silver fish mostly. Any advice would be great as to which to join. Interype is twice the price and is it worth it? Also are the clubs normally receptive to low skilled anglers - I can set a float rig up, but that is all I have done before.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

john step

Reaction score
I dont know these places but I always reckon you should have a walk quietly round the waters and get the feel of how they fish, how friendly the natives are.
Weekends are good. Always worth a reconnoitering trip or two.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Not that easy John, most are combi locked. Both clubs control stretches of the Thames which you could look at however.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Yes. You could walk by and have a look at Spade Oak but its not a real silverfish water. And bit daunting for a novice.

As Peter says, look at the Thames sections.

If you don't mind 30 min drive consider RDAA (reading and district) all sorts of options..

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
If you look on Intertype's website you'll get a far indication of what's on offer and basically it's down to your own personal preferences. As Simon indicated there are stretches of the Thames, also the Wey and Wey navigation and parts of the river Colnebrook. The Colnebrook pits hold some very big fish of most species but you could almost shake hands with the pilots every minute or so as they take off from Heathrow. Stoke Place is a 'Capability Brown' estate lake that you can access (as the old house is now a hotel but does not affect the fishing lake as it's set well back) if you wish to view, the three farm ponds will take you back in time (once you have the combination for access) with some 'feral' type carp, most of the other suspects plus some specimen size perch. Wapseys is under fished as it's a bit of a trek through the woods of a country estate - there are some VERY big carp and tench there if you put in a bit of time and effort - not easy though by any stretch of the imagination..........

jac77794

Reaction score
If you look on Intertype's website you'll get a far indication of what's on offer and basically it's down to your own personal preferences. As Simon indicated there are stretches of the Thames, also the Wey and Wey navigation and parts of the river Colnebrook. The Colnebrook pits hold some very big fish of most species but you could almost shake hands with the pilots every minute or so as they take off from Heathrow. Stoke Place is a 'Capability Brown' estate lake that you can access (as the old house is now a hotel but does not affect the fishing lake as it's set well back) if you wish to view, the three farm ponds will take you back in time (once you have the combination for access) with some 'feral' type carp, most of the other suspects plus some specimen size perch. Wapseys is under fished as it's a bit of a trek through the woods of a country estate - there are some VERY big carp and tench there if you put in a bit of time and effort - not easy though by any stretch of the imagination..........
Thanks for the info. I looked at both websites and have had a look at the Marlow ponds in Beaconsfield which seem nice, my kind of small simple fishing, but didn't want to trespass and hassle people so stayed on the footpath, but may have too.

Also is there any maps for intertype I looked on there website, but have no idea how to get to any of their waters. There seems to be no maps or directions.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I don't know the Marlow waters but I've had an Intertype ticket for the last 5 years or so but won't be renewing this season. As Jerry says the Colnbrook lakes are right under the flight path and largely about carp. Wapseys is rock hard and awkward to get too....there are the ponds in Burnham which I've never fished which really only leaves Stoke Place. This is their best water IMO...or rather it was. Beautiful setting but for the last 2/3 years choked with weed. The tench fishing was excellent but if you can't get a bait in the water what's the point ? Too many carp now too. There are plenty of silverfish but nothing special.

To find Stoke Place look up the hotel. The lake is in the grounds but basically from Beaconsfield its A40 to GX then right at the GX lights towards Slough ,through Stoke Poges till you can go no further, left at the mini roundabout and then right into the SP hotel grounds. The lake is to the right past the hotel.

Lovely setting but major weed issue. That's why I've given my ticket up.

jac77794

Reaction score
I don't know the Marlow waters but I've had an Intertype ticket for the last 5 years or so but won't be renewing this season. As Jerry says the Colnbrook lakes are right under the flight path and largely about carp. Wapseys is rock hard and awkward to get too....there are the ponds in Burnham which I've never fished which really only leaves Stoke Place. This is their best water IMO...or rather it was. Beautiful setting but for the last 2/3 years choked with weed. The tench fishing was excellent but if you can't get a bait in the water what's the point ? Too many carp now too. There are plenty of silverfish but nothing special.

To find Stoke Place look up the hotel. The lake is in the grounds but basically from Beaconsfield its A40 to GX then right at the GX lights towards Slough ,through Stoke Poges till you can go no further, left at the mini roundabout and then right into the SP hotel grounds. The lake is to the right past the hotel.

Lovely setting but major weed issue. That's why I've given my ticket up.
Thanks for the info. Gives me a lot to think about.

peterjg

Reaction score
I used to be a member of Marlow AC. Their stretch of the Thames at Remenham is really good, I used to enjoy fishing there, the fishing was not particularly easy but it is peaceful and scenic. Spade Oak pit was also good, again not easy but there are some decent pike in there. Their stretch of the Thames above Marlow was very good for roach (and bream unfortunately) but what spoilt it was the constant stream of rowers that had absolutely no regard for anglers and rowed regularly as close to the bank as they could (within 6 feet!). They also had LED torches on the front of their boats for rowing up and down in the dark! It was not good for my blood pressure.