Hows your river fishing?

theartist

Reaction score
There seem to be lots of requests for info on rivers lately.

So is it genuine research for next season?
Anglers not aware of the close season?
A wind up?
Or is this what happens when there's no annual close season debate?

What do you think?

wanderer

Reaction score
Me too, the close season is destroying our clubs that have a river portfolio, we need to get real and realise the fly snobs are blocking the common man from enjoying his sport, come into the 21st century colonel blimps.

qtaran111

Reaction score
I'm surprised people think the close season is responsible for the decline in river fishing. I think it's got little/nothing to do with it.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
If the rivers didn't have a close season, anglers would be fishing them.

It's old hat, out of date. Still waters have proved that beyond doubt.
There is no difference from a still water fish and a river fish.

peterjg

Reaction score
I totally agree with Ray, of course we should be allowed to fish rivers all year! Please forget your own preferences with this matter, but does anyone have a scientific or biological reason why we cannot fish rivers but can fish lakes?

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

Another crazy ruling. Apparently there is a close season on the Basingstoke canal because it is a SSSI, angling is therefore on hold but it is perfectly ok to run a motor boat up and down with a potentially polluting diesel or petrol engine, etc, etc.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
I am doubtful that more anglers would fish rivers if the close season were abolished.
I think the majority would stick to the puddles that they fish the rest of the year.

I believe this is a reaction to aging/ease of access, safer parking/idleness/ need for instant gratification to name a few.

B

binka

I am doubtful that more anglers would fish rivers if the close season were abolished.
I think the majority would stick to the puddles that they fish the rest of the year.

I believe this is a reaction to aging/ease of access, safer parking/idleness/ need for instant gratification to name a few.

I would go with that too John, the anglers currently fishing the rivers would be able to fish more often but I doubt it would increase the overall number of different anglers fishing them.

Poor access and unsecure parking being the main reasons imo.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
You would have more anglers on the rivers if there was no close season, there's no anglers there because there is a close season.

What this out of date rule is saying is simple, we are behind the times.

As for the running water thing, canals run when the locks are open, and when they are closed, so how comes it is ok to fish them ??? NO Body knows.

If angling isn't very careful, all you will have in years to come is Carp Puddles, and like it or not, they are part of the reason anglers don't fish rivers. Its a quick fix for many new anglers, who DONT gain any real angling skills. Nothing wrong with barbel being put in still waters, they don't breed in the rivers either, if they did where the Hell are they ??

Dont blame Otters for the decline in rivers either, back in the day our rivers were full of fish, and Otters were far wider spread than they are now.

B

binka

You would have more anglers on the rivers if there was no close season, there's no anglers there because there is a close season.

In all fairness Ray, if that's the case then why aren't there more anglers on the rivers during the season?

Because they are just the same anglers that are able to fish more often?

Agree with the issues of barbel not appearing to breed in some rivers but I'm not sure how that fits in with the Trent barbel explosion?

I fished with a well respected member of this forum last season where we both caught juvenile, non-stocked barbel and I have a fair few pictures of ones that I have caught on other occasions...

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
The Trent may well have small Barbel, but the other rivers are having major problems. I am not worried about the Barbel, as i think they have been over stocked in some rivers, and stocked in rivers where they shouldn't be at all.

Barbel are also the down fall of fish stocks on some of the rivers i fish, until they turned up, the sport was fine, now other than the river pigs, those sections are void of fish, and its not Otters.

The reason anglers aren't on rivers is as i say, Carp puddles and a quick fix for anglers. It is also true that far to many anglers want to park in the swim. That is fine for those who are not able to walk or carry their gear due to medical reasons, but for the majority of anglers, they are just to Lazy Ar$ed.

I do think you will get more anglers on the rivers without a close season, the fair weather angler would have more time on them than now for a start.

Lets not go down the spawning road, as we all know, fish spawn as and when they are ready, not before june 16th, and many spawn after june 16th anyway, as we also know, which makes the close season even more of a Joke.

If anglers don't want to fish the close season, they don't have to, at least they have a choice, and we also know that its about 50% either way on the close season debate. So 50% of anglers don't have a choice.

wanderer

Reaction score
Those puddles have created a new breed of angler, that breed would never have emerged if the closed season had been lifted years ago, commys wouldnt exist, bad decision.

Philip

Reaction score
Jump on Eurotunnel ...35 mins later you can be fishing a river totally legally ;)

The bad one

Reaction score
Nothing to stop you fishing the rivers from April the first......get a fly rod and reel, some flies, learn a new angling skill. And for FS stop moaning, they're shut and no amount of whinging on here will change that any time soooooooooon!

Amongst the fly anglers this, the close season, their close season, is a non-debate. And you wonder why they laugh at coarse anglers :eek:mg:

theartist

Reaction score
Isn't there a generalization of rivers going on here? I've fished so many and they are all so unique. The impact of removing the close season would affect them each in a different way. On big rivers like the Trent you'd hardly notice but a tiny pressurised river where all the swims would be worn down all year including the shallow breeding areas the effects could be very detrimental.

Therein lies the problem and as once the close season goes it will be gone forever you can understand the EA being cautious in making such a big decision.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The EA last reviewed the Close Season on our rivers and some canals as recently as 2011, so the argument that it is an "old or ancient" rules in wholly non sequitur.

At that time they announced that there will be "no change to the close season, or the dates until long term scientific research has been done and peer reviewed."

As of the time of writing I see no such studies taking place, so I would totally agree with Phil . . . it will not be changed any time soon, and I for one am very grateful that is to be the case.

We (us anglers) also have to realise that we are not the only group who are interested in our rivers and associated environment; a year or so back some of us contacted over 100 diverse groups who all stated an vested interest, and those groups covered all flora and fauna and insects interests.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nothing to stop you fishing the rivers from April the first......get a fly rod and reel, some flies, learn a new angling skill. And for FS stop moaning, they're shut and no amount of whinging on here will change that any time soooooooooon!

Amongst the fly anglers this, the close season, their close season, is a non-debate. And you wonder why they laugh at coarse anglers :eek:mg:

The closed seasons do seem stupid to me. I mean, as soon as the closed season starts for trout (on dedicated trout stretches) many areopen to coarse anglers and so we go trotting for graylng etc and I can guarantee that if there are trout there we catch far more trout than the fly anglers do during their game season. When the coarse season closes the game anglers are out in force and they catch a lot of coarse fish....just daft in'it :eek:mg: