I,m in deep do do, help !

flightliner

Reaction score
I came downstairs this morning to be confronted by my daughter holding one of her socks towards me asking how she had put it on and felt a pain in her toe and when checking had found a size sixteen wide gape hook stuck thro the material.
I tried to pass it off by thanking her for finding it but to no avail, I was in the doghouse.
Anyone else had a similar occurrance

lambert1

Reaction score
Something I live in constant fear of Flight, especially with my fading eyesight! I sometimes tie hook lengths on the dining room table because the light is so much better but those little hooks..............:eek:

robtherake

Reaction score
I lost some size 12 Guru QM1 hooks - the inadequate container had popped open, disgorging them onto the living room floor. Unfortunately, I didn't realise until later and only found a couple, so for weeks I was expecting either an irate wife or a visit to the local vet when they found them for me. :eek:

As luck would have it, they turned up one-by-one over the next few weeks, so I narrowly avoided discovery.:cool:

sagalout

Reaction score
I tried to pass it off by thanking her for finding it but to no avail, I was in the doghouse
You should have immediately denied it was yours, "Never use those hooks!", and blamed her for playing where she shouldn't.

john step

Reaction score
Get yourself a magnet and have it on the table where you tie hooks. That will trap any hooks that go exploring.
When you finish, waft it around the carpet to find any you have missed.

I also have a plastic "pen" with a small magnet on the end in my tackle for picking up small hooks. It came with a now redundant compartmented hook box. It keeps small hooks in place in my tray if I decide to change hook size.

Failing that encourage daughter to leave home.:wh

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I once walked round for days complaining of a pain in my foot. It was strange really as I didn't feel it all the time, just every now and then. On several occassions I even looked in my welly when out walking to see if there was a stone or summot in it, couldn't see ewt and just put it back on lol. Eventually I had a brain wave and had a look at my foot and embedded in it right round to the shank was a 14's kamasan animal !
I'm always as carefull as I can be when tying hooks on in the house as we have dogs and the last thing I want is for one of them to swallow one. If I do loose one in the carpet I hoover around for it until it gets sucked up or it must get firmly embedded in the pile of the carpet enough so it can be eaten by one of the little dogs.

John, the magnet idea sounds good :).

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
The stupidest thing ever... decided to keep a lucky triple barbed hook and trace after catching a whopper on the cut... on the pull down visor on the drivers side (intended to be a temporary place) and guess what happened a few weeks later?

Yep, I'd forgotten it was there and the inevitable happened, it ended up well and truly stuck in my forehead!

Boy that hurt bad. :eek:mg:

robtherake

Reaction score
The stupidest thing ever... decided to keep a lucky triple barbed hook and trace after catching a whopper on the cut... on the pull down visor on the drivers side (intended to be a temporary place) and guess what happened a few weeks later?

Yep, I'd forgotten it was there and the inevitable happened, it ended up well and truly stuck in my forehead!

Top story! I've been hooked tons of times (barbless hooks, soft wet fingers) but I actually hooked myself fairly in the bottom lip when I jagged the line I was untangling. I bit the bullet and yanked it straight out - it was only a 22 but it hurt like blue blazes.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I worry about hooks, with my granddaughter around and the dogs. I take extra care to make sure i only get one hook out the pack at a time.

Not had a hook, but a baiting needle, one minute I was pushing it into a boillie, the next it was in my finger. Don't ask how, but it was under the nail right down a good 20mm.

My mates couldn't even look as it was hanging out the finger, I was laughing, not because it was funny, but because it F***ing hurt, ended up in hospital to get it removed.

Went back and finished the weekends fishing after.

B

binka

Could've been worse Mick, if you had been making up complete rigs she night have copped for it...

Hook, line & sinker!

I'll get me coat... :eek:mg:

greenie62

Reaction score
Best reason I've heard, so far, for only using Barbless Hooks! :eek::eek:mg:

P.S. Those Guru Hooks (even barbless) are b*ggers to get out - they have such a recurved point they are almost 'circle hooks'

rayner

Reaction score
Get yourself a magnet and have it on the table where you tie hooks. That will trap any hooks that go exploring.
When you finish, waft it around the carpet to find any you have missed.

I also have a plastic "pen" with a small magnet on the end in my tackle for picking up small hooks. It came with a now redundant compartmented hook box. It keeps small hooks in place in my tray if I decide to change hook size.

Failing that encourage daughter to leave home.:wh

My wife bought me a telescopic pen things with a magnet on for hooks. I have to take all hooks from the packet with the magnet.
I'm now barred from tying hooks anywhere in the home other than in my tackle room, I have made my objections but they fell on deaf ears.

ken more

Reaction score
I worry about hooks, with my granddaughter around and the dogs. I take extra care to make sure i only get one hook out the pack at a time.

Not had a hook, but a baiting needle, one minute I was pushing it into a boillie, the next it was in my finger. Don't ask how, but it was under the nail right down a good 20mm.

My mates couldn't even look as it was hanging out the finger, I was laughing, not because it was funny, but because it F***ing hurt, ended up in hospital to get it removed.

Went back and finished the weekends fishing after.

Me too, one hook on the table at anytime. The Baiting Needle thing sound pretty bad. How did they get it out and was it painless :eek:

john step

Reaction score
Not had a hook, but a baiting needle, one minute I was pushing it into a boillie, the next it was in my finger. Don't ask how, but it was under the nail right down a good 20mm..

Ditto Ray, mine was one of those round top jobs with a little gate. In my finger right past the bend. I was on my own. I bit the bullet and yanked making me go faint. I am more careful nowadays.

Keith M

Reaction score

Foul hooked by a treble in the forehead, Ouch!

I hooked myself squarely in the corner of my mouth with a size 8 hook once while testing my knot strength and using my teeth to hold the hook; it was a barbed hook too. I still have a small lump on the inside of my lip where I pulled it out. Lol.
The wife has also found the odd small hook on the carpet after I've been setting up a few pole rigs; but luckily she hasn't had one stuck in her foot yet Lol.

Keith

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Me too, one hook on the table at anytime. The Baiting Needle thing sound pretty bad. How did they get it out and was it painless :eek:

The hospital stuck a ring on my finger, then gave me an injection to numb the finger. The finger swells up a little this makes the ring go tight, then they just pull out the needle.

I had to have an X ray first to see how the needle was in my finger, It was a gated needle, the gate was open in the finger. Dodgy as when they pulled out the needle the hook could have caught inside the finger, it didn't it closed as they pulled it out.

Finger was numb for a couple of hours, put it bloody hurt the next day, more than it did, when i first done it.

---------- Post added at 19:12 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

Ditto Ray, mine was one of those round top jobs with a little gate. In my finger right past the bend. I was on my own. I bit the bullet and yanked making me go faint. I am more careful nowadays.

Ditto John,

Gated needle for me as well. I bit the bullet as well, but all i got was blood coming out, and a fair bit as well.

The first Aid in me said, go to hospital, you might be doing damage.

Bloody hurts the day after.

B

binka

Some of these accounts sound truly excruciating, amazingly for me I've never done anything near as bad with a hook.

Probably the worst was when I had a tench in the landing net which was resting between my knees as I sat on my box, I took the line into my mouth to hold it tight whilst I ran the disgorger down to unhook the fish but the hook pinged out under tension and shot right up my nose :eek: :eek:mg:

My mate did the decent thing of course and collapsed in laughter whilst my eyes watered for a good ten minutes of twiddling with a disgorger which seemed to make matters worse before I finally removed it with a pair of tweezers which I used to carry to pick up hair stops.

flightliner

Reaction score
I know I,ve mentioned this before about the lure angler who had a miscast and the lure hit him at the back of the head and impaled itself . Being on his own and unable to remove it he had to drive to a local hospital where having parked the car hutched up to open the door only for the lure to get stuck into the cars headlining.
He then had to drive to the doors of the A&E and keep blowing the car hooter for staff to come and free him.
Very funny but I reckon a hook up the nose beats all. !!!!

robcourt82

Reaction score
The bait needle story brings back some rather embarrassing memories as I had a similar occurrence when I was 14/15.
I baited a hair rig with a large chunk of meat, turned and threw the needle behind me. Made the cast and flopped onto my very low garden chair. I heard a sickening crunch and felt the stab as the needle, one of those very old style gardener jobbies with the large barb embedded itself into my butt cheek!
My dad had to then run the length of the narrow 40 acre lake to fetch the car and take me to Harlow general hospital where I laid on my front for 4 hours while every doctor, nurse and their friend came to take a look! Having drawn numerous pictures and tried to explain what it was and why it couldn't be yanked out they eventually did an x Ray, gave me some local anaesthetic and cut it out.
According to the doctor I was lucky as the point was a matter of millimetres from my bowl and the base of my spine!
All's well that ends well though, I caught my first 3 proper bream the following day!