All Change.

thecrow

Reaction score
With the very mild weather that we experienced a little while ago now changing to very cold what effect will this have on fish spawning? Everything seemed to be in front of where it should have been when the mild weather was with us has it all been halted or just set back with the change?

B

binka

With the very mild weather that we experienced a little while ago now changing to very cold what effect will this have on fish spawning? Everything seemed to be in front of where it should have been when the mild weather was with us has it all been halted or just set back with the change?

I've wondered the same thing Graham, especially as it's currently snowing here :eek:mg:

I don't know how long fish can retain milt before they have to shed, one of the perch I caught yesterday was like a water balloon around that area which I think is a result of the really mild weather earlier this year that then turned very cold.

I guess Mother Nature will set the limit, ideally the fish will hold on as long as possible to give the spawn the best chance of survival into the warmer temperatures but there must be a limit to how long a fish can remain gravid prior to spawning.

By contrast it was well into May when the usually early spawning perch did their thing last year.

lambert1

Reaction score
I thought the fish in our pond were starting on Friday when it was warm and sunny, but it has gone quiet since. They might just have been snacking on Tadpoles though:eek:

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
I thought the fish in our pond were starting on Friday when it was warm and sunny, but it has gone quiet since. They might just have been snacking on Tadpoles though:eek:

I've often wondered about tadpoles. A little farm pond I used to fish, stuffed to bursting with roach and (to a lesser extent) perch, was literally black with taddies when the time came, yet I couldn't buy a bite with one on the hook. Never saw the fish taking them either, there or anywhere else.

lambert1

Reaction score
Goldfish will certainly eat them and I have seen them do it. As far as I am aware they are only safe from fish when they are inside the spawn itself as it has an unpleasant taste. Once they are out they are prey to fish, dragonfly larvae etc The sheer number ensures that some survive as they have been coming back for years. I do try to feed the fish off, but I suspect that they eat both:D We have some Blue Orfe that will scoff most things and I enjoy chucking Leather Jackets to them, which they woof down:D

robtherake

Reaction score
Goldfish will certainly eat them and I have seen them do it. As far as I am aware they are only safe from fish when they are inside the spawn itself as it has an unpleasant taste. Once they are out they are prey to fish, dragonfly larvae etc The sheer number ensures that some survive as they have been coming back for years. I do try to feed the fish off, but I suspect that they eat both:D We have some Blue Orfe that will scoff most things and I enjoy chucking Leather Jackets to them, which they woof down:D

I got in trouble, age 13, for digging up the local playing field for leatherjackets - they always caught the biggest perch! It's something I'd forgotten until you mentioned them, although I'll never forget the hideous smell when you burst one.:puke:

lambert1

Reaction score
I have tried them a couple of times when I found the odd one or two and popped them in with the worms. I have not actually caught on them, but did lose a trout on one when it went loopy and shed the hook:(, so I guess I might give them a go as I am constantly coming across them and could take a fair few I am sure. JW does recommend them and Chafer grubs in his book. I guess they must get washed in every now and then and fish will have them as part of their diet.