''Humour me''.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
As a self confessed technophobe with little or no knowledge of the internet, it will come as no surprise to most to realise that much to do with Forums goes right over my head.

Since I only belong to one Forum (this one) the following comments relate to here. One question in particular that has always puzzled me is what defines a good thread?

I am told that this will depend on who's viewpoint you take, that of the site owners or the general membership.

Which of these is correct?

B

binka

Good question Derek.

Personally I like two things:

Threads like the on going "How did you get on" which are interesting and light hearted whilst never hearing a bad word spoken in them and are a trilogy in the making.

It's obvious that FM has some real depth dating back a long time but a thread which strings some of that together and maintains a current interest with fresh content is always good.

And...

Threads which look at the technical side of rigs which really make you think as to what's going on under the water

The more contentious stuff I try to stay away from these days, not because I don't have an opinion but because it can spoil the whole forum experience when things overheat and I'd rather be here to enjoy myself than annoy myself :)

I have no idea of what is correct though...

thecrow

Reaction score
I suppose that what constitutes a good thread depends on what a member wants from a forum, information sharing, making friends or just the chance to converse with anglers the same as you would do on the bank are all things that I get from FM although there are always those ( I have been drawn into this kind of thing) that are up for an argument, I am all for others having an opinion and of course we all think that we are correct with our opinions but sticking to that maxim can and does imo spoil the forum experience.

A good thread for me is informative, thought provoking and one where not everyone has the same opinion which promotes discussion, also a bit of banter doesn't go amiss either, "the how did you get on thread" it goes without saying is probably the best thread on FM.

lambert1

Reaction score
Agree with both of the above. For me it is the contact with other anglers that is important and the chance to learn from some very experienced guys. I too steer well clear of the arguments and walk away from one if I feel it might develop as that is not what I want from the forum. Nothing wrong with debate and contrasting views, but unfortunately it goes beyond that sometimes. It goes without saying that the "how did you get on" thread is my favorite too.:)

barbelboi

Reaction score
The ‘How did you get on’ thread is certainly most informative and an eye opener – I now know that some anglers tend to get up before 10am................

john step

Reaction score
The ‘How did you get on’ thread is certainly most informative and an eye opener – I now know that some anglers tend to get up before 10am................

Cannot see the point of that. If the fish don't want my bait in the evening, then thats their hard luck:eek:mg:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
There's probably a bit of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" to this a lot the time. I think we all make some very good threads/posts and some not so good ones over a long period; its inevitable really. But plenty catch on, or make people think or just becomes a good larf. The variety of styles, topics, personalities is what makes a forum. Move over, take a seat, there's room for everyone unless you get thrown out.

Last edited:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Two main types of thread I like to see - the one's where anglers drawn from a nationwide pool of different disciplines can share a laugh and some banter and actually make me think there's some hope for us all after all... (obviously "how did you get on.." tops the list)

Also, the knowledge sharing - someone posts about a problem they're experiencing - say undertow on a lake - and they receive some great advice from those who've faced similar scenarios and devised a solution. Most often, there's not a single solution that works, but rather a bunch of ideas to try next time. It's not just the inexperienced who need to ask for advice either! Having that pool of experience on tap is a wonderful thing and I love seeing it utilised in these pages.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
I like the carp ones.

What's the best lager for a 3 day trip.

Plug in tv and microwave options.

The comfiest pillow

How far the alarms can sound for (ie to the chippys)

Seriously....I enjoy the articles and the humourous ones.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I like the carp ones.

What's the best lager for a 3 day trip.

Plug in tv and microwave options.

The comfiest pillow

How far the alarms can sound for (ie to the chippys)

Seriously....I enjoy the articles and the humourous ones.

You forgot, "Where can I catch a '30'?"....

ciprinus

Reaction score
Dereck, myself i find that the definition of "a good thread" is all dependent on what you want at the time, to me, the thread title should be one that pulls you in, next the contents of the initial post should be thought provoking, and thirdly the overall vein of the thread should make you want to contribute (strangely enough, how did you get on didnt do it for me), whether that be with information, witty banter or even just to say "good post Dereck"
and this thread is a good example ;)

robtherake

Reaction score
I like the craic, and I'm not embarrassed to say that after 40 years of trying there's still an awful lot to learn; there are a lot of wise heads on here, behind all the wisecracking.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
As a self confessed technophobe with little or no knowledge of the internet, it will come as no surprise to most to realise that much to do with Forums goes right over my head.

Since I only belong to one Forum (this one) the following comments relate to here. One question in particular that has always puzzled me is what defines a good thread?

I am told that this will depend on who's viewpoint you take, that of the site owners or the general membership.

Which of these is correct?

Derek,

I believe you should get a prize for the most interesting and thought provoking threads.

At the end of the day it depends which editor is in charge, as to which thread gets the most views and responses.

Bob

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Surely it is down to us, the members and visitors who actually view the threads and reply to them that makes them either active or not?

I don't see how the Editor has a hand in it at all unless I am missing something here . . . . . .

This thread has had 338 views and 13 replies, including this one.

The little icon to the right is simply the product of an algorithm which has set values over a period of time . . . . . . . there is no human intervention that I can see.

greenie62

Reaction score
Surely it is down to us, the members and visitors who actually view the threads and reply to them that makes them either active or not?

I don't see how the Editor has a hand in it at all unless I am missing something here . . . . . .

Perhaps you missed the repeated incarnations of the Martin Gay Carp fiasco, Peter? The Editor most definitely had a hand in that - even starting some of the re-iterations of the subject himself!

IMHO this Forum is better off with a light touch by the Ed - and a firm hand from the Mods ;) I think the fact that the Mods are active posters and part of the FM scene - helps ensure that they judge the mood and intent of any questionable posting.

Keep up the good work :thumbs:

wanderer

Reaction score
Controversy, provokes thought and even inspires the silent majority, we may be right or wrong but keep it coming, we will not always agree but that is what a forum is all about, long live FM, you guys know a thing or two, pity more dont post, we can take the shots.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
All has been said, I enjoy FM.

Good anglers, good threads, good Crack, what more could you want from a fishing forum.

It must be down to the members as to which thread is the best, after all the more posts surely means the members have interest in that thread. Many threads only get a few posts, so they can't be of great interest.

The Mods keep FM going, do a great job, and also join in. The odd thread from the editor regarding what is going on, or about updates to FM would be nice.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Migod......a mellow response from the Leader of the Anti Close Season Alliance. Make the most of it chaps.....Clarkie will be tub-thumping again ere long !

For once I am in total agreement with Brother Ray. FM is as good as we make it.