Brand over price brolly??

toby843

Reaction score
So I'm in the market for a brolly as my 2 man bivi is a bit much to drag around all the time unless my missus is out with me.

A brolly seems to cover the bases of giving me somewhere protected to fish for the day, being easy to set up and move, and adding a wrap or panels to turn it into a bivvi for a night or two.

After pouring over the internet for literally days on end I've come to the conclusion I want a fox supa brolly system but I can afford one!! So I'm looking at a Trakker MC-60 which I can add to over a few months to get all the extras. Happy with that but then the Angling Direct brochure was included in a magazine the other day and I saw their own brand Advanta. This looks like it ticks all the boxes at less than half the price:

Advanta Protector Brolly System

Anyone got any thoughts? I've bought own brand stuff (stillwater) and budget brand (TF Gear) before and some has been ok but some has been terrible. The Advanta catalogue does show a ton of luggage at reasonable prices so I might consider that but I'm concerned the brolly will cause me dramas, although you get a years warranty with it! What's the worst that could happen?? lol

lee_j

Reaction score
I've got the fox supa for my carp fishing mate and I think they're bang on , not the full system just the brolly , my wide boy bed chair goes under no problem with all my kit too,
If I was looking at a cheaper alternative though I'd be looking on gumtree for a 2nd hand one you'll pick up something like the one your looking at for about 50 quid (my mate got a Jrc stealth brolly with over wrap for £45 a few years ago believe it or not, used it for a year bought the fox supa and sold it on for £40 to another mate , you've gotta keep checking for new stuff added but it's worth a bit of patience , it's like waiting for a take :thumbs:

---------- Post added at 01:34 ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 ----------

I should add aswell mate if you do go down the second hand route make sure you set it up before parting with your hard earned and take a watering can for the rain test ;)

B

binka

I'd go for a better quality second hand one too, no end on Fleabay that have barely been used.

nocturnus anglius

Reaction score
For the money, the advanta brolly is very good mate, I've used one for the past year, it's light, very easy to put up and take down very quickly and strong.
I had no problems with mine what so ever, the luggage is pretty good too, the only problem I had was some stitching coming undone on the quiver so bare that in mind.
I have just upgraded everything this year, korum ITM luggage, and a fox supa brolly compact, the difference in quality is obvious, but you get what you pay for. All of my advanta gear has been put up in the loft as spares now, just incase I break any of the new gear I have.

If you don't have a lot of money, go for the advanta, I did, and I don't regret my desicion, it's quite good gear :)

toby843

Reaction score
I found a few brollys on e bay and gumtree so I'm going to see if any of those come about but if not I think I'll give the advanta system a bash, comes with a guarantee after all and all I need it to do is keep me dry and comfy for an overnighter here and there hey. Unless of course brand name brollies catch bigger fish...........

lee_j

Reaction score
I found a few brollys on e bay and gumtree so I'm going to see if any of those come about but if not I think I'll give the advanta system a bash, comes with a guarantee after all and all I need it to do is keep me dry and comfy for an overnighter here and there hey. Unless of course brand name brollies catch bigger fish...........

No they don't do that pal but they do last longer and stand up to wind better , good luck ............

robtherake

Reaction score
Got a Badger cheapo 60 incher which weighs as much as a mini, so it depends how you carry your clobber to the water. It's still in one bit but it hasn't really been used much because it's still a fair bit of weight to be lugging about if you're walking any real distance.

toby843

Reaction score
Hey good spot with the eBay link there. I've been out around Lincoln and Grantham today looking at brollies and bivvis and I think 50 inch is too tight for what I'm after. After seeing a few different ones I like the fox royale 60 inch brolly but am hesitant as there are no door panels etc unless you buy the full system at a much higher price, the standard brolly doesn't have the ability to add panels. I did see a cyprinus overwrap that should fit it for about 65 quid. That could be an option.

I also saw the trakker mc 60 which I like a lot. I prefer the material of the fx but the mc 60 gives me the option to buy panels and groundsheet later. I think I will go for the mc 60.

I'm still going to keep an eye on eBay and gumtree for the rest of the week first though.

---------- Post added at 15:09 ---------- Previous post was at 14:45 ----------

Just went on to the cyprinus website to see the over wraps and saw their magnetix brolly and normal 60 inch brolly with wraps etc. Just to confuse matters more lol

toby843

Reaction score
So I ended up with the Wychwood hd MHR brolly system which was a bit more than I wanted to spend but hey, buy good once right.

toby843

Reaction score
So now I have ordered my new stuff I clearly need to go and test it out, what a great excuse to go fishing. I would love to go somewhere with a good chance at a twenty.

I'm thinking A1 pits pit 3 or 4 (never had any luck from here at all), Woodland waters Ancaster (never fished the specimen lake and its bigger than I am used to), Bain Valley (I like the look of this one but not sure which lake), Langdale lakes Lincoln (fished it this time last year for about 2 hrs just with a feeder rod for smaller fish and liked to surroundings), Sapphire lakes (might have l left it a bit lake for booking and have heard its nails), Cromwell lakes on the little pool?

There is also a place called brewery farm over towards Coningsby that looks good but I can't find out much about it, I think it may be a syndicate. Also a place called oak hill leisure at Norton Disney looks nice with som good fish but the rules says you can't loose feed so are they saying it's ok to use ova bags etc with boilies and pellets but you can't spot or spomb? Looks good for floater fishing though which is nice as there aren't that many places now that allow it.

Anyone have any experience of the above places or any suggestions, I'm at Cranwell, near Sleaford in Lincs. I'm either gonna do an overnight if my kit gets here in time or two days sessions if it doesn't.

Last edited: