''How many fishing sites''.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
This was prompted by a recent thread of mine where I referred to me only being a member of one,(this one). And in my particular case, one is enough.

My question to you guys is a simple one. As the title suggests, how many do you belong to and why?

greenie62

Reaction score
Depends what you mean by 'belong to'?
- Active: Posting/replying - this one, local Club forum, and a local fishing/charity forum,
- Passive: Reading/lurking - a couple occasionally plus a couple of Facebook sites.

This is the only one I check-in with most days - mainly to see what Binka has broken now! ;):rolleyes::eek:mg:

rayner

Reaction score
I do look at other forums but this was the only one I joined.
Having good chats on here I though I would join another. "Big mistake"
The other site I joined I made a comment regarding how many Perch I had from one swim and was accused of lying. that could have easily been blown into the normal arguments that blow up on forums had I reacted in the way some would.

I still look in there but it's really not for me and I have made comment on other threads.
I know I'll not comment much on the there as in my experience confrontation is easier to ignore rather than let the rats bite you.

Other forums seem to have a fraction of what can only be called antagonistic, this hasn't been evident on here at all whilst I've been a member.
I only joined this particular forum because of how the threads stick to one vein.
Friendly.

team man

Reaction score
The other site I joined I made a comment regarding how many Perch I had from one swim and was accused of lying. that could have easily been blown into the normal arguments that blow up on forums had I reacted in the way some would.

That sounds like the one I used to belong to, I left for the same reason, the nastiness going on there got really bad, nothing aimed at me but I just couldn't sit and read it so left.

I do belong to one other besides this and that is "The Traditional Fishermans Forum", I fish with old methods IE old built cane rod and centre pin, they are a lovely lot of gentlemen on there as is this, I find a lot of nice people on here.

Keep it up chaps.

B

binka

More than enough people on here for me to annoy and bore the hell out of so I'm happy with just the one forum from a participation point of view :)

I have been lurking on The Traditional Fishermans Forum on and off for the past few weeks, not registered but I find the content interesting and the general mood very good which is just like here.

Apart from that a handful off good blogs and that's about it.

theartist

Reaction score
Some forums don't move with the last post being over a year ago in some threads. Think too many sub categories is a problem in those cases rather than small memberships.

I'm also on the forums of the two clubs I belong to but contribute more on here.

laguna

Reaction score
I was once kicked off another site for supposedly tangling with the owners after putting forward an alternative view point.
Its apparent some forums want it all their own way, they are controlled by and run by those with invested interests. :mad:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
More than enough people on here for me to annoy and bore the hell out of so I'm happy with just the one forum from a participation point of view :)

Same here. I do occasionally find myself on other forums but only because I've followed a trail of smarties. I don't belong to or follow any others.

I was a member of another forum once but left because I refused to worship at the feet of its self professed demi-god. Suffice to say that having observed his antics bankside first hand his posts were rather "economic with the actuality". Often downright whoppers !

I think the words I'm searching for are "knob" and "head" !

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
I have joined others but don't visit or post on any of them, some were very cliquey others were boring and one shut down not long after I joined :eek:, so its just this one that I visit and post on and apart from a couple of single species pages on face ache that's it, cant see it changing unless something drastic happens.

Chefster

Reaction score
I belong to this site and Maggotdrowners,i was in MFS,but i didnt like that site much,MD is more geared up to my style of fishing,but i enjoy this site,when there are any threads i can actively participate in,and i like the company on here,no massive egos,just honest anglers who post results good or bad..i always post my results,even if ive done cr@p:D:D

robtherake

Reaction score
As far as I remember, I've been a member (probably still a member, since I was never forcibly ejected) of four angling forums.

Two of those became tiresome because disruption was the norm, rather than the exception: I have no time for it. Blow off steam, by all means, but personal attacks only serve to illustrate the puerile nature of the attacker. One of those responsible - and frequently discussed via PM - was also turfed off here for the same crime. Idiots.

I'm a member of the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, although I'm not a regular poster any more. At one time I fancied a bash with a fancy piece of stick, so it was a great place to learn about them; a notion since quashed because I don't think my wrist's up for it.:( I found the place generally friendly, if quaint, and learnt a lot about the vintage reels in my possession. One of the posters - Nobby - is an authority on old Mitchells and also supplies a tremendous business service, making them run better than new; gear polishing, reshimming, the works. There was an amusing altercation on there between a righteous fella who regularly posts on here and....well, everybody else, really, when he used the "C" word once too often in conjunction with the names Harrison and Drennan. :wh I'm sure he'll tell you the story himself if he reads this, if he hasn't already done so. :) You must respect the bamboo, Ian.:D

Anyway, this is the only forum I use, these days. I like the humour, the depth and breadth of wisdom displayed...and I suppose I like most of the old (and young) gits who post on here, who all seem like men I'd get on well with out there in the real world, should our paths ever cross. Here's to the lot of ya.:w

Last edited:

lambert1

Reaction score
This is the only one I belong to, though I do take a peak at Maggotdrowners every now and then. I do find people very friendly on here and have found several with a similar sense of humour to me (a little warped on occasions). It is not a site where you get PB's mentioned all the time and people are happy to share whatever experiences you have had and offer encouragement on occasions too when things don't go according to plan. If you write about the enjoyment of catching some Gudgeon, there are others on here who share that. If it had been a"mine's bigger than yours" type site I would have lost interest very quickly indeed, just as I do with anglers that you come accross who talk constantly about huge captures and barely mention enjoying the surroundings. We are privileged to have access to beautiful waterways and countryside and it is great to hear others on here happy to talk of such things as well and showing genuine respect for their captures. In short, as others have already said, a great place to have a chat and share the brotherhood of the angle:D

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm a member of five or six fishing forums. Sometimes I have far too much time on my hands. ;) I seem to recall joining this one because I was mostly bored out of my mind during four months at the top of a mountain in the Falklands. The others are mostly single species or local area forums.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Just remembered, I am a member of a single species forum as well as here, my memory just gets worse, sometimes while driving I forget where I am going.

terry m

Reaction score
Just this one.

I like to drop in occasionally and see what's new.

Not sure I need any more time spent with my face in a PC.

craig1970

Reaction score
been on a few sites but this is the best,no bitching arguments a nice friendly forum and everyone on here will go out of there way to help you,dereck gibson:)thanks guys.