Float shotting question

qtaran111

Reaction score
Evening all,

I was digging through some old stuff and found a float I've never used (Middy silverfish) marked 4 no.4:
IMG_5974-M.jpg

Being never used, I'd thought I'd see what it looks like with 4 no.4 attached:
IMG_5977-M.jpg

I know float markings aren't entirely accurate but this seems way off. Am I missing something here?

ps. yes, my other half is away at the moment and yes I've got too much time on my hands :w

daniel121

Reaction score
Lol get some work done :D;)

Seriously my main reason for making my own floats was because of inconsistencies with shop brought floats, nothing angers me more than spending my hard earned on 3 identical floats to find that all 3 are vastly different.

I'm told that things have got better now days but I use all my own floats so I wouldn't know. All I'll say is it does not surprise me too much qtarten111.

rubio

Reaction score
Got a few of these and similar, eg squatt float. I like them for caster just over depth with that dome just held in the surface film.
As for shot loading I tend to ignore the info and stick on a large shot and work it out from there. A 'cut down' version of one of these with the broken tip replaced by a fine pole tip is currently rigged on my whip and ready to go at short notice.

Keith M

Reaction score
Yes it certainly looks like the shotting marked on the float is way under its real shotting capacity.

Also; 0.6grm is more like 3No4 (not 4No4) so middy didn't even get that right LOL.

SplitShotConversionChart.gif

I have a few of these wagglers in my collection and they are actually not bad wagglers for slightly shorter ranges in 3 or 4BB sizes and upwards (in ideal weather conditions) , but don't rely on the shotting capacity marked on them; as you've found out already their marked shotting capacities are not very accurate LOL.

I also sometimes use them in their smaller sizes when I'm using a Whip.

Keith

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Got a few of these and similar, eg squatt float. I like them for caster just over depth with that dome just held in the surface film.
As for shot loading I tend to ignore the info and stick on a large shot and work it out from there. A 'cut down' version of one of these with the broken tip replaced by a fine pole tip is currently rigged on my whip and ready to go at short notice.

I like the fine pole tip replacement bit. Try this. Glue a nylon bristle from a yard brush in a waggler top. Then the original part of the float can be dotted right down to a point at the water surface leaving a couple of inches if bristle showing that only takes a whisper to go under.
On a lot of places I fish a black tip shows best. Just use a coat of black nail varnish. It even comes with a brush.

qtaran111

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers all.

The actual capacity is around 6 and a bit no 4, probably around 1.2 - 1.3g (or around 3BB).

I might give it a go at the weekend to see how it works out.

B

binka

I've got a few of those Middy Silverfish wagglers and found exactly the same, they are nice sensitive floats once you suss out the actual loading though.

I've found Premier floats to be outrageously inaccurate which is a shame as 1) they're nice, well made and durable floats and 2) I have rather a lot of them

I tend to go by sight these days as much as what is printed on the stem unless it's the Kamasan straight peacocks which are pretty accurate.

qtaran111

Reaction score
I've got a few of those Middy Silverfish wagglers and found exactly the same, they are nice sensitive floats once you suss out the actual loading though.

I've found Premier floats to be outrageously inaccurate which is a shame as 1) they're nice, well made and durable floats and 2) I have rather a lot of them

I tend to go by sight these days as much as what is printed on the stem unless it's the Kamasan straight peacocks which are pretty accurate.

That's the thing, it "looks" like a nice float. As I was sorting out a bunch of old floats its stood out.

I was wondering about the premiers as I saw them pop up on one of the angling online stores. They look like exact copies of Dave Harrell's floats.

trotter2

Reaction score
Evening all,

I was digging through some old stuff and found a float I've never used (Middy silverfish) marked 4 no.4:
IMG_5974-M.jpg

Being never used, I'd thought I'd see what it looks like with 4 no.4 attached:
IMG_5977-M.jpg

I know float markings aren't entirely accurate but this seems way off. Am I missing something here?

ps. yes, my other half is away at the moment and yes I've got too much time on my hands :w

Put a big lump of meat on the hook and it will be perfect LOL