River fishing around Earith, Cambs???

dac1

Reaction score
Hi all,

There are plenty of rivers around the Earith (Huntingdon) area to fish but I would like to ask you the following:

1) Is there a stretch of river that has a good head of fish (looking for a mixture of tench, bream, perch, carp, barbel (if around here))?

2) What club does the stretch of water belong to?

3) What I would really like is a secluded spot, away from roads but with just the greenery and nature sounds. Somewhere very relaxing. Is there a stretch that fits that description?

Thanks in advance.

john step

Reaction score
Look up London Angling Association on google. Particularly Portholme Meadow.

rubio

Reaction score
Look up London Angling Association on google. Particularly Portholme Meadow.

Particularly Portholme Meadow indeed. Perfect for what you describe. Eaton socon area of Gt Ouse has some freefishing. Plenty of water in the area for sure.
Enjoy.

dac1

Reaction score
I shall look into Portholme Meadow for sure.

What I would like to do is head out for a few hours one evening to relax after a day at work, or maybe early on at the weekend for a few hours. Therefore it would need to be around the St Ives, Earith, Willingham areas as these are on my doorstep. Eaton Socon would be a 40 minute drive for me each way so not worth it for just a 3 hour session.

The river stretches I see around these areas run along side the road so wondering if there is a little gem of a spot around there that branches off the road.

Thanks for your responses so far.

B

binka

The river stretches I see around these areas run along side the road so wondering if there is a little gem of a spot around there that branches off the road.

Might be worth following the river on Google Earth, fantastic tool for finding just such places :)

rubio

Reaction score
Free fishing and easy parking by St Neots Bridge.
I would urge you to at least take the dog for a walk around that meadow. Borrow one if you need to. Do the google map bit carefully and there are several ways in, but Gomanchester is a good way to see a lot of water. Lengthy stroll mind. Biggest common in the country they say.

lee_j

Reaction score
Free fishing and easy parking by St Neots Bridge.
I would urge you to at least take the dog for a walk around that meadow. Borrow one if you need to. Do the google map bit carefully and there are several ways in, but Gomanchester is a good way to see a lot of water. Lengthy stroll mind. Biggest common in the country they say.

Biggest common in the country :eek: don't put that in the carp section it'll get hammered ;)

dac1

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated.

I do often look at Google Maps but in doing that you don't know if the stretch of river is worth a fish, whom the stretch belongs to. It's risky just looking at Google Maps.

Still interested to know if there is a stretch of river scenic, tranquil, and worth a fish near the Sutton, Earith, Willingham route?

Thanks.

theartist

Reaction score
I do often look at Google Maps but in doing that you don't know if the stretch of river is worth a fish, whom the stretch belongs to. It's risky just looking at Google Maps.

Thanks.

Bing maps is probably better (the old version) as it has O.S. mapping which will reveal public footpaths which would mean at least you're not tresspassing if you want to check out a bit of river. Used in conjunction with google street view where you can sometimes see access points and parking then a lot can be done from the comfort of your home.

Find two or three 'possibles' in an area and spend a day out walking the banks, yes you'll probably find they will be private or don't hold fish but there's the chance that you'll find a spot the locals have known about for ages and kept secret.