Pro Gold Mono

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Following the advice of some of you guys and girls on here I purchased some Pro Gold Strictly Specimen in 6lb

Looking at the spec it's diameter is 0.255mm (on the box not measured by me)

My Diawa Infinity Duo (IGFA rated) to 5kg (10lb? Just over 11 in my book) is 0.26mm dia

My assumption is that the Pro Gold is underated?

Does anyone have any experience?

It's for use with an Avon rod for light carping.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I wouldn't trust any manufacturers stated diameters. Pro Gold is great line and 6lb bs I reckon is probably nearer 8.

I've never thought of PG as being particularly thin diameter wise but it is incredibly tough & ultra reliable. You could tow a destroyer on 10lb PG.

Keith M

Reaction score
Plus the Pro-Gold is fairly supple and abrasion resistant; these are qualities that a lot of other lines often fail on.

Keith

Last edited:
B

binka

Another vote here for Pro Gold, currently got it on eleven spools for various stuff.

Very even diameter line and let's face it, if I can't break it it's got to be good stuff :eek:mg:

noddy_88e

Reaction score
Hi everyone not been able to go fishing for sometime but am hopeful that i can go more often now!
So I am looking for a line to use across all my fishing reels and have bought some pro gold in 10lb for barbel rods, I can see a few of you rate it but is it any good in the lower breaking strains?
Am hoping to get some in 4lb or Lower , as am fed up buying 100 metres at a time and putting backing on.

Cheers :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've never had a problem with Pro-Gold at any breaking strain - apart from trotting I rarely use anything else.

The bad one

Reaction score
Another vote from me for Pro Gold. Like many if not all have said, never and I do mean never in 10+ years of using it had a problem with it. The problem if it is one :) is breaking the dammed stuff when snagged up solid on the river.

noddy_88e

Reaction score
I was hoping to put it on float and feeder rods in the lower breaking strains, what does it go down to? Is it any good for float fishing? I presume it's no good for stick float fishing?

Cheers

B

binka

I was hoping to put it on float and feeder rods in the lower breaking strains, what does it go down to? Is it any good for float fishing? I presume it's no good for stick float fishing?

Cheers

I know for a fact that it goes down to 2lb with 3+ and 4+ and so on as you would expect to be next.

There are more suitable lines for trotting but don't go thinking it means that Pro Gold is no good for it, I use it pretty much all the time for my trotting as I don't believe in using lines for such narrow purposes eg. good sinking or good floating lines.

I like a good all round line that will cover a multitude of purposes reasonably well.

That's only because I vary my fishing so much, if I did a heck of a lot of one particular thing I might consider narrowing down the line choice a bit to something more specific for the job but if you're looking for a one size fits all type of line Pro Gold will be fine, including for trotting.

noddy_88e

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone, I was hoping to buy a few bulk spools of various sizes so thats great if you say it will do the job for trotting on the river.
Its something I want to get to grips with this year, where is the best place to source the lower breaking strains? I know Johnson Ross do it in 6 and above

Thanks
Noddy

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wasn't Pro Gold modelled on Sensor? :D

Yes, but it's made twice as thick as the superior sensor :eek:....sensor is sensitive and sleek in comparison, a leap forward from fools gold in it's sheer quality and class :D