Its my Time, Whats yours

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
If i had to pick one favourite short period for fishing this is it for me.

These late spring and summer nights.

Its just finished pouring down with rain. There is no wind what so ever. The Lake is still, and the sound of rain drops falling into the waters edge. Birds singing, the sky has a slight mist to it.

The peacock quill then quivers next to the lilly pads, and slips away.

You hear the sound of that fat old Wood pigeon, that breaks that almost sound of silence.

As the evening sun breaks out again for it's last few minutes , the mist starts to rise from the surface.

A magic time for me, that can only happen due to the rain, takes me back to my childhood days.

B

binka

Mid-summer will do nicely for me, the earliest dawns and the latest dusks that barely get fully dark before the sun is rising again.

There's nothing like the electric atmosphere of being alone somewhere along a secluded riverbank at very last knockings, shirt sleeves in the warm air and when the undergrowth starts rustling with nocturnal creatures and you'd bet your hat and its contents that the rod's going to wallop over at any second with a barbel :)

daniel121

Reaction score
Ray if I had to pick a favorite time of the year it would vary as to my mood.

What's nicer than a sub zero clear crisp day trotting making friends with a Robin, then down dips the stick float and you feel that wonderful soild resistance of a winter chub?

Or

What's nicer than a clear summers evening catching fish in a lake watching them glisten in the goldern evening sunlight?

Horses for courses mate - me - I just love fishing can't pick I love it all :thumbs:

lambert1

Reaction score
Late summer nights for me too, magic time that is unfortunately over too soon:(

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I haven't got a single favourite time of year as there's a favourite spell amongst each season for me. At this time of year it's usually around mid to late May and early June, great time to be tinkering.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The first week of the river season, July probably the best month overall, overcast, little or no wind, fish feeding confidently, float fishing simple with an old quill, a bird milling about in the reeds that I have not seen before, Kestrels hovering nearby, Barn Owls quartering the meadow. Dragon Flies zipping about, if I am lucky a Hobby chasing them. Some nice fat Roach or Rudd or a nice Tench. Some nice grub, partial to a nice bit of cake myself..
Just hang a do not disturb sign for the rest of my life will do.

However, every month does have its charms. A September big fat Roach, a December Chub caught on the rove etc.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For my time would be split between:

Late autumn on the river when it is cool enough to wake up the larger Roach and;

An early summer early morning on a still water having spent the night to wake to the sights and sounds of the water and its' creatures coming alive . . . .

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I like those early mornings when you poke your head out the bivvy, to see the mist lifting off the surface as the sun breaks out.

I also like the crisp winter mornings.

My first post is only about a short few hour session that we manage to crab here and there.

Like many i will fish in any weather, so i am not the only MAD one on FM :D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Like many i will fish in any weather, so i am not the only MAD one on FM :D

True...but you are among the very maddest.

Dawn in June with the tench bubbling is probably my favourite....but midnight on a sea trout river in July with hippo's crashing about takes some beating too in terms of sheer excitement.

Keith M

Reaction score
Late Spring and Autumn for me

Late Spring because every thing around is bursting into colour and life in and out of the water is busy procreating and packing on weight for the new season.

Late Autumn because the fish are trying to put on weight to see them through the leaner months ahead and also because the warm weather anglers have started to thin out on the bank.

Keith