Crucians

swcf

Reaction score
Hello all,

Curious to know, does anyone target crucians during the summer months? Seems nearly everyone Carp fishes these days under a bivvy. Such a shame as the lovely crucian is a fantastic fish on light gear along with the other summer favourites such as tench and rudd.

Great to see the conservation project is pushing to get more of these fish stocked into our waters.

Just be happy when the temperatures start to warm, get a lengthy dry spell and I can start using my peacock wagglers again and a grain of corn. Bliss!

B

binka

Agree completely with your sentiments.

I don't go on prolonged campaigns to target crucians but summer just wouldn't be summer without a few sessions where they are the main target, not always successfully I might add :)

swcf

Reaction score
The thrills and spills of watching that peacock waggler twitch or lift slightly, warm temps, lily pads and the golden colours of a crucian. It's summer-time fishing in England for me, old school!

rubio

Reaction score
Been doing some of that just lately. As it warms they get a little greedier everytime I go. Don't miss out waiting for it to be perfect.

steve2

Reaction score
I am lucky this year to be able to fish a small pond that as produced Crucians to over 3lbs. There are no other carp in the water and no records of any carp stocking at any time. So these would appear to be true Crucians which makes them a rare in this day.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I always think Crucians are the first summer fish to start feeding; often in March if tis mild, before the tench get going most years; they should really get going now this month. Fun fishing for them especially if you get a shoal going. They will take anything but I have had my most success on tiny bits of luncheon meat on a 14 or 16 hook on a quill close in or next to some reeds or lilies.

rayner

Reaction score
Started getting the odd one since the middle of March.
Where I fish the Gudgeon are quicker to the bait when the water is still on the cold side but other fish will push them away when it warms a little.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Crucians are distinctly lacking in my part of the world, and have been since I first started fishing. It took the rise of the commercial, and many years of fishing, before I even saw one in real life. Where they are found locally, with the very odd exception, they are usually on the small side.

I suspect that the number of local anglers deliberately targeting crucians is only slightly greater than those targeting burbot!;):D

swcf

Reaction score
I think it's the one species where I'll go out of my way the most to try and catch. I'll be happy driving a good distance knowing a pond of Crucians awaits.

We have a few waters down here in Cornwall that have Crucians, but most waters are so heavily stocked with greedy 5lb commons/mirrors it puts you off bothering. I find no pleasure in catching 200lb of carp catching them on whatever you put on the hook!

I've found one water in my area that is a pure silvers water, crucians, tench, rudd, perch, and no other carp. A rare thing for fisheries these days.

How can anyone not enjoy the sun shining from the sides of a Crucian!

seth49

Reaction score
Lovely fish crucians,there's been a few caught on the fishery I'm a member of.
Hoping to go on Thursday, hope to get one or two.
It's not a bad forecast, there's an east wind,but only light.

trotter2

Reaction score
Yes definitely one of my favourites. We have a pond that is stuffed with them best method for me is the mini lift method with a pinch of bread flake on the hook.

Keith M

Reaction score
Definately one of my favourites too.

Their bites can be very subtle at times and the nickname 'Bars of Gold' matches them perfectly LOL.

My biggest so far was just over three and a half pounds but I've had a few approaching that weight over the years most of which came from a local gravel pit where a Crucian now shares the current record of 4lb 9oz caught in 2011 by Joshua Blavins.

I love catching them at any weight though; no matter how big or small they are. I catch mine mainly on corn, bread flake or paste baits..

Keith

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Marsh Farm isn't the water it was some years ago - in the mid 00's we regularly took big 3's with the occasional '4' (not me - my best was 3.15 - twice:eek:mg:)but the big fish seem to have 'died out' in recent years and a mid 3 seems to be a very good fish now.

Apart from that Ray it's too ****ing far since I moved.............:)

daniel121

Reaction score
I am lucky this year to be able to fish a small pond that as produced Crucians to over 3lbs. There are no other carp in the water and no records of any carp stocking at any time. So these would appear to be true Crucians which makes them a rare in this day.

Where is this lake I'd love to fish it.

The majority of angers now are either match lads or bivvy boys - I do fish for crucians the problem is most waters around me have been ruined by introduction of King carp

robertroach

Reaction score
They have started down here in Dorset!
Had a good day with them yesterday on a single sweetcorn grain. One a chuck averaging about 8 oz. with a few up to 1lb. Must have had 50 at least from a pond where no-one fishes for them. Also had a couple of small tench and a couple of goldfish! Good fun on the top 3 sections of my pole. To be honest after a couple of hours I had enough and moved to another small lake where I had some cracking roach and 4 chub 3-4lbs.

Don't wait any longer for the weather, they are hungry now.

swcf

Reaction score
Delighted to know I am not alone in finding the 5lb commons/mirrors packed into fisheries annoyance when tench and crucians should be the quarry!!

I've been to some places where they are so greedy (the carp) they would take a piece of grit stuck on a hook. Not fun at all when you are trying to get through them for the crucians or tench.

rubio

Reaction score
Yet in less than a generation some clubs and even a few commercial ponds are set up as silvers only. It seems unlikely things will ever go back to the 'good 'ol days'.Whenever they were.
Match fishing has dominated most fishing as long as I can remember, and even with the rise of carp fishing, I still think it holds true. More matches silvers only these days too? Mostly winter I guess but it will influence the 'market'.
Personally I would welcome more waters with fewer carp. It just suits me. I don't know of many full on carp anglers that like sackfuls of 5lbs carp either.
On the other I hand I could easily get a bit miffed to find my favourite swims that never show signs of any footfall other than my own just because everyone else has got fed up with 'easy fishing'.