Keeping rods made up

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Do you keep any of your rods made up?

I'm thinking of buying a couple of rod sleeves and doing this - the idea being that I can just grab the rods and go

The down side of this is that I may keep using the same rods and not selecting the best rod for the job

qtaran111

Reaction score
Yep I keep my feeder rods made up in a made up rod holdall. It does save some bank side faffing, but the main benefit for me is that it shifts the reels out of my backpack. I have to travel as light as poss as I use public transport (the looks I get on the tube are priceless:confused:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'll happily keep carp and barbel rods made up, but float and lighter feeder rods I'd rather make up on the bank. I like to check lighter lines for damage as I'm threading the rod rings. I have tried leaving lighter rods made up but do not feel that lighter lines stand up well to such storage. The holdall used to facilitate such storage and transport is still in use, but end tackle is broken down and the line stored safely on the reel.

rayner

Reaction score
I always have my rods ready to go.
I decide what rods I need then it's just a case of changing rods in my sleeve.
Just make sure the sleeve if you buy one is long enough for your longest rod.

I limit myself to two rods these days so versatile rods that will fish for silvers as well as small Carp generally fits my needs.

Last edited:

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Lord Paul: a couple of summers ago I paid dearly for my laziness. Not only did I set out with my rods made-up but with the two sections in place as well i.e. ready to cast. I laid the two beautiful, unique rods (they were custom-made for Martin Gay's tench fishing) in the back of my Vectra with the tips sticking out of the passenger window. On arrival in the car park (about 500yds from my front door) I absentmindedly hit the 'windows-up' button and promptly decapitated both rods. They're now used as 8ft spinning rods...

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Lord Paul: a couple of summers ago I paid dearly for my laziness. Not only did I set out with my rods made-up but with the two sections in place as well i.e. ready to cast. I laid the two beautiful, unique rods (they were custom-made for Martin Gay's tench fishing) in the back of my Vectra with the tips sticking out of the passenger window. On arrival in the car park (about 500yds from my front door) I absentmindedly hit the 'windows-up' button and promptly decapitated both rods. They're now used as 8ft spinning rods...

ouch that's gotta hurt

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I keep my rods made up at all times. I will change the hook link before setting off.

I have done this now for close on 30 years, and have even been on club matches with rods made up, and won.

Good Tip Tops and care, everything will be fine.

For me it is quicker than making up rods bank side, i don't have to muck around in the rain, wind etc.

Each to their own at the end of the day.

The most important thing for all anglers, is being comfortable, warm and dry.

B

binka

Only rods I keep made for any length of time up are the pike rods from around October onwards and even then I might have to break one down if I need it for the big bait dropper.

I will often rig a rod up the evening before and take it rigged but for some reason unbeknown I always break it down at the end of the session.

qtaran111

Reaction score
Without wanting to hijack Lord Paul's thread, I have another question for made up rod users: Do you also keep three piece rods made up?

It's easy to manage made up two piece rods, but personally I find keeping a three piece made up with line through the line guides can become more of a hassle rather than just quickly threading the line bank side.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Without wanting to hijack Lord Paul's thread, I have another question for made up rod users: Do you also keep three piece rods made up?

It's easy to manage made up two piece rods, but personally I find keeping a three piece made up with line through the line guides can become more of a hassle rather than just quickly threading the line bank side.

I've made 2 piece rods up at home but I think a 3 piece rod would tangle too much with the lines

rubio

Reaction score
As a tribute to my laziness I have rods made up most of the time, incl 3 piece rods. Usually using no more than elastic bands to secure them. I find I'm more encouraged to go for short sessions that way.
On the downside I have a selection of rods at irregular lengths ie 12'7"; 9'3" etc. which illustrate my clumsiness.
It is, as already intimated worthwhile checking line when you start, as it is easily nicked and or crinkled in transit.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
I keep my barbel rods made up on external quiver loops throughout the season.

I do however make sure the tops are in covers. I also slacken off the reel clutch to avoid too much pressure on line or reel bail arm.

I keep my drennan classic also made up in the supplied rod pouch that has a section for the rod handle extension , making it a 6ft length.

As I've been fishing less than 6ft deep swims its fine as no need to move float or shot.

Graham

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I have 3 piece rods made up also, and these can be kept very safe nowadays, those little snag rod holdalls for the carp boys are great for 3 piece rods. If you shop around there are some that will take a 15 foot rod made up. All come with a nice padded reel section in them also.

Binka makes up 2 piece rods, that end up 3 piece :eek::D

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I always prefer to carry my two piece rods ready made up in their protective rod sleeves on the outside of one of my quivers.

In fact when I buy a new rod I usually buy a new padded rod sleeve to keep it in.

I usually change my hooklengths and check my line for damage when I'm at home and this enables me to go at a moments notice for short opportunist unplanned sessions and be ready to cast in seconds if I need to.

There is nothing I hate more than having fish feeding in front of me and having to set up all my tackle; or having to break all my tackle down at the end of a day especially in the rain.

Keith

nocturnus anglius

Reaction score
Being a carp angler, yes, mine are always made up, although, a little differently to most I would suspect. Over the past couple of years I've had to whittle my gear down to just 3 rods, but these 3 rods need to perform a multitude of tasks. Fishing, Leading, Markering, Spombing/Spodding as well as Raking if needs must. So I just tie a simple 4 inch loop at the ends of my mainline. This way I can just simply loop on a lead, spomb, spod, marker, rake or made up rigs as and when I need, on each rod. :)

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
All the 2 piece rods that I use are ready made and in double rod sleeves. Have tried doing it with 3 and 4 piece rods but the time I spent untangling them I could have set them up from scratch.
All I do set up the rods at the start of the season and unless they break they will be that way till the end of the season.

trotter2

Reaction score
I like my rods set up ready to go. I just fix them with elastic bands, one around the tip and one around the butt section.
If its a float set up I just side all the shot down above the hook link knot .
My float is slid down the line as well, that means I only have about 6 inches of line from float to hook. This stops a lot of tangles.:)

robtherake

Reaction score
Just starting to go along the made-up-in-single-sleeve route, but I also fit a tip protector and a foldover velcro whatsit to secure float, lead or feeder - the sleeves I have are only padded at the reel pouch.

Thought I'd pulled off a smart move by swapping some gear with a mate for a nearly-new Nash Scope double holdall that fits my 10' Dwarf rods. Now I find that I need a couple of mini big pit reels, as none of my regular big fish reels are front drag (apart from the spod reel, which doesn't count!) and the holdall has a very particular fit which precludes the use of rear drag reels. :eek:mg:

Maybe it's just as well that the Nash BP-6s are cheap and there's a birthday coming up. :D

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
I keep all my rods made up in drennan sleeves. I think the single sleeves are easier to use than the doubles, the separater in the double is rubbish it's too small and there are no ties so the rods are free to rub together, with a single sleeve I don't bother with bands.

I don't have any three piece rods.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Most of my rods are cane, and three piece. If I'm feeling motivated, I attach a threader to the reel lines before going out, so I can thread up quickly; I also carry the casts I'm most likely to use on winders, so a quick loop-to-loop and I'm ready to go.
In theory.
The only rods I keep set up are the pike kits, which are two-piece (and one of them is c@rbon, but please keep that shtum...)