Line threaders

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Having a threader attached to your line speeds setting-up enormously, especially three-piece rods that don't respond well to being left set up.
But what to use, that is easy to make in quite large numbers, highly visible, and will pass through the tiny rings of quiver-tips without either letting go of the line or damaging the tip?
Any bright ideas?

(Blast - no pretty-please, begging or prayer emoticon. I'm symbolically speechless!)

greenie62

Reaction score
That's a change Al - I've always been used to you speaking a load of symbollix! :eek::eek::D

Used to use the Newark Needle weights attached to the reel line via the silicon band and thread-up using them - unfortunately these are often too thick to go through modern ultra-tiny rod-rings!

The current threader is the scaled-down version of that - using a straightened-out paper-clip and a fine silicon tube/pole rubber to attach it.

Unfortunately this is sometimes unwittingly snagged-off when running through the finer rings! - Why have they got to be so fine?

rayner

Reaction score
I have an Ultra line threader in my drawer, I've had it a good few years now.
It was given to me by George Stenton the owner of Ultra.
The threader is made from spring wire with a sleeve at one end, the line just traps in the thin end of the threader.
As you say the thinner style rings on rod tips are too small for it to go through.
I also have used a darning needle.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
You could use a Gated baiting needle.

I think ESP do one around 5/6 inches in length.

You will have to cut the plastic/rubber handle off, but you will be left with a fine needle. Tie a loop to the end of the line, open the gate on the needle, attach the loop, close the gate and your away.

Other than that, have a look in a shop that sells model cars, aircraft etc. They sell very fine wire. You can then use pole/float rubber on the wire to hold the line in place.

Good luck.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Would a sewing needle not be of any use, just blunt the point off?...or maybe get some thicker specks :).

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score

rayner

Reaction score

slaphead

Reaction score
I just tie a loop on the end of my line, pinch it and pass it through the rings.

Even with my eyesight I find it works.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Gents, thank you all very much!
I've been using little spliced loops in bits of braided backing-line, with the end glued and trimmed so it will poke through the rings without snagging, but its a lot of faff for something I always lose, only to find, several weeks later, huddling with six of its kin in a reel case that I have no recollection of using.

I read of someone at an angling show in town in the sixties, who went in for a rod-threading competition; while the others fumbled about, he took out a matchstick and his penknife, cut a notch in the match, pulled the line into it and almost ran along the rod to win, easily. I suppose I could pre-cut a few, but they wouldn't go through modern, lined rings.

I'll give the various needle/stick and rubber tube ideas a bit of a test, too. Needles are a bit of a hazard when lost, though, but they can be retrieved with a magnet and some luck - if you remember to carry a magnet and feel you have enough luck to spare, but glass float-stems, cut down, and maybe a bit of a conical whipping to (try to) prevent the rubber snagging the ring and letting go, may work...

Onepoundfishingtackle have diamond-eye threaders in, so although it's the most expensive route, I've bought three, and a little Middy pole-bits-box to put them in; that should stop me scattering them about like confetti, and also give me a place for plummets, a few "trimming" shot and some float-caps, so I can put my main bits-box away and not keep getting up like a jack-in-the-box every five minutes, only to leave it out and knock it over (or get rain on all my hooks).

I have tried the pinched loop method, but the only way I can get it tight enough for long enough is to thread another bit of line through the loop and really heave; it's usually faster to free-hand it, for me.

One other idea is a bit of stiffish tubing - equipment wire sleeving or kids' Scoubidou tube - cut off at a slant at both ends. Pop the line in one end, trap it with a needle (hmm..) and thread the other end through the rings.

It appears, though, that my best chance is to get-make a few proper ones and look after them better!

Thanks again!

Last edited: