Centrepins

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Always intriged by these and I've bought a few only to rapidly sell them on not daring to practise the black art

I was bored today and watched a you tube vid on casting techniques. After 20 minutes I managed to flick a 1/8oz leger weight about 10m - which is the furthest I fish anyway. Result.

Glad I had the day off waiting for the boiler to be fixed

Of course it will all go Pete Tong with a rig on the end!

john step

Reaction score
Nothing black art about them really. Just like anything else in that the more you use one the more dextrous you get.

I haven't a clue about all those fancy names given to casting techniques that make it sound difficult. I just cast with the things when conditions are suitable and enjoy playing fish off them.

If you intend to use one on stillwaters for lumps, do screw the tension down enough to slow down the free run to stop line spinning off when waiting for a bite. It cuts out muddles!

Hold the rod so your thumb is against the drum to stop it spinning on the strike or its like hitting a run with the freespool on a fixed spool. Then play it with your thumb.

Go for it:)

B

binka

Since returning to a 'pin earlier this year, after many years away from one, it's almost been like second nature.

In addition to trotting and tip fishing on the river I don't recall even using a fixed spool for stillwater waggler fishing since I've had it and it's lovely for dibber fishing when you need to let line out to swing or land the fish :)

I think they're the most simple and straight forward thing there is.

john step

Reaction score
Since returning to a 'pin earlier this year, after many years away from one, it's almost been like second nature.

In addition to trotting and tip fishing on the river I don't recall even using a fixed spool for stillwater waggler fishing since I've had it and it's lovely for dibber fishing when you need to let line out to swing or land the fish :)

I think they're the most simple and straight forward thing there is.

Absolutely. A dibber under the tip on a normal or long rod is a joy and is so much easier on a pin. When a mud pig or tinca storms off you are in instant smooth control.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I wrote this for someone else a couple of years ago, but it still sums up my view of how to step out of the fixed-spool dark side:

"Lay out a tenner or so on a cheapie; an old brown Aerialite or one of those Theseus things, for example.
Take it down to your nearest commercial and catch a few fish with it, close in.

Did you enjoy the direct contact as you played the fish?

Did you enjoy the way you can cast almost two rods out by just hooking your thumb in the line where it comes off the reel, drawing off a comfortable loop, and pulling back, with your thumb as a pulley, to launch the rig towards the rod-top, while giving the rod the merest "Harry Potter" swish'n'flick to ensure the float didn't actually hit the tip ring, thus enabling you to fish all those swims with cast-inhibiting trees all around?

If you didn't, stick with the fixed spool, sell the reel on, or use it as a line-store.

If you did, but certain things drove you nuts - usually to do with slack line - persevere till you stop getting tangles. Learn to tuck the reel under your arm, if standing, or belly (should you have one) while sitting, to prevent the sneaky unhooking/baiting-up time overrun, for instance. Keep an eye out for side-winds. Learn to cast a bit farther by taking several loops off - and thinking about the sequence in which you release them so you don't spend the whole day unpicking tangles. Learn to find the check button as you put the rod down and pick it up; slack line is your enemy.

Having fun? OK, now try a river where you can catch close in, using the casts you know and feeding line to the float by hand, or by thumbing the spool.

If the flow is strong enough and your reel starts turning easily enough, fit a big enough float to enable the flow to pull line off the reel. See what a difference in resistance there is between pointing the rod downstream, almost at the float, and holding it across the stream, with a right-angle in the line at the tip. Try using that to vary your presentation, holding-back then running-through by turns.

If you reel is not free-running enough, now is the time to consider an upgrade. Okuma if you have the dosh, Cortesi or decent old Trudex if you haven't. If Cortesi, read up on it's "quirks", use thread-locking compound and carry a cross-head screwdriver. Either way, flush out the bearings/ pin with lighter fuel, clean and dry it, and re-oil with light (sewing machine/hair-clipper) oil. (Best of all, scrounge a day's loan of a decent pin from a buddy).
Back to the river.

Still having fun?

Right, time for the big one: If your reel is free-running enough to spin under its own inertia/momentum/whatever for ten seconds or so, go to a free water or even a park, stick a swan-shot on the line and, having watched a few youtube tutorials, have a go at the Wallis (THAT's how Mr. Wallis spelt it!). If you find yourself making progress, then is the time to ask about a "good" pin.

To my mind, and for my modest needs and means, a run-in Trudex is as good as it gets; spokes'n'pillars jobs are beautiful, but let in maggot-dust, groundbait, rain-splashes and such, and are best left to the addicts.

When you find yourself trotting for half-pound chub rather than hurl a feeder out into a vast lake and wait for a shoal of bream to drift by, you're an addict..."

trotter2

Reaction score
Nicely put Alan.:thumbs:
I agree about a Trudex lovely little reels

steve2

Reaction score
I may be stood up against a wall and shot for this.
Although I have and fish with a number of different centrepins and enjoy using them there nothing in my eyes that a centre pin does that a fixed spool can’t do better.
With a fixed spool you can cast better and further with it, you can trot with it, you can spin, you can chop and change spools.
Saying all that I will be out later today using one of my many centrepins

sam vimes

Reaction score
It puzzles me a little as to why some make such a song and dance over centrepins. I rather like the things, but they aren't the be all and end all for every type of angling. There are good reasons as to why the fixed spool reel almost polished centrepin use off.

I can understand that some folks love them so much that they want to use them for everything. Personally, I believe that they are the best thing to use for trotting a top and bottom float. For other techniques, a fixed spool is usually the better choice.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Sort of agree, for long range and for some ledgering, it has to be the "egg-beater", but for trotting double-rubber (and two-ring slider) and any close-quarters stuff, the pin rules.
Yes, you can trot with a fixed spool, but it's a bit stop-go as you let each turn off, and the art of smoothing that out with a back-shot as a "buffer" may well be as difficult as Wallis casting. Hardly "better". And you can trot well with a closed-face, because it imposes that little bit of drag smoothly, but you can't control that drag - with a pin, holding the reel flat lets it pay out line as freely as it can, holding it vertical imposes a certain amount of drag, and angles in between give continuous variation (not so for bearings reels, AFAIK, which isn't far, I admit).
Beyond that, there's the thumb on the drum or (sometimes) the micro-drag - though I can only recall one time that has caught me a fish I couldn't have had otherwise.

Most fixed-spool users cast past more fish than they cast to, and I think the mental gear-change that using a pin, when appropriate, imposes helps to keep one open-minded. (Yes, people can get stuck in pin-only mode, but that's just as silly).

And playing a big fish (anything needing the net!) hooked close in is just so much better when the slipping clutch is your thumb directly on the spool.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
It puzzles me a little as to why some make such a song and dance over centrepins. I rather like the things, but they aren't the be all and end all for every type of angling. There are good reasons as to why the fixed spool reel almost polished centrepin use off.

I can understand that some folks love them so much that they want to use them for everything. Personally, I believe that they are the best thing to use for trotting a top and bottom float. For other techniques, a fixed spool is usually the better choice.

Agree they are not the best for everything. But I use them when close in fishing because I enjoy it. I wouldn't struggle to use one at distance. I suppose it is like everything else regarding fishing. We do what we enjoy.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments - interesting reading.

All was going welland then my wife rearranged a few items and my pin moved from the utility room worktop via gravity to the floor - luckily still in it's neoprene pouch.

I picked it up and moved it to the garage. After 24 hours I inspected the pin and the fooker had landed on an area of the pouch that left a small area of the pin exposed either side of the velcro fastener (it's an Okuma). It's now marked and my OCD has kicked in!!!!!!!

Using my thumbnail, I reckon the scratch is approx 2 to 5 thousandth's of an inch (old school) deep by 5mm long on the edge of the spool. I'm mortified. It doesn't affect the operation in the slightest but IT'S THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Andy....you'll just have to get another bud :).

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Oh, fer Gawd's sake - now you can use it, stuff it under your arm without panicking about any buckles or studs, lay it on gravel without undue worry, rinse any mud-splashes of in river water and still fish with it for the rest of the day... it's now got some character, a tale to tell, and it's YOURS! Enjoy!

Only listen to Tigger about loading new line for each trip, or hooks, bait, floats, methods - techniques and consumables. If he starts talking about buying capital equipment, block your ears with wax or go and watch cute cats on youtube, or you'll be living in a cardboard box!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oh, fer Gawd's sake - now you can use it, stuff it under your arm without panicking about any buckles or studs, lay it on gravel without undue worry, rinse any mud-splashes of in river water and still fish with it for the rest of the day... it's now got some character, a tale to tell, and it's YOURS! Enjoy!

Only listen to Tigger about loading new line for each trip, or hooks, bait, floats, methods - techniques and consumables. If he starts talking about buying capital equipment, block your ears with wax or go and watch cute cats on youtube, or you'll be living in a cardboard box!

Alan, I know what Andys like, he's got ocd about scratches etc, slightest mark and it's rejected lol.

flightliner

Reaction score
To my mind, and for my modest needs and means, a run-in Trudex is as good as it gets; spokes'n'pillars jobs are beautiful, but let in maggot-dust, groundbait, rain-splashes and such, and are best left to the addicts.

When you find yourself trotting for half-pound chub rather than hurl a feeder out into a vast lake and wait for a shoal of bream to drift by, you're an addict..."

I used mine today alan- had it since my teens.
lovely to use but there are times when I feel a cp cant hold a candle to a fs. ;)

barbelboi

Reaction score
For trotting I wouldn’t wish to use anything other than a decent pin, although I can understand the match men using a f/s to get in many more trots due to the much faster rewind. I also don’t believe that ‘FK’ would have bothered popularising the Nottingham cast if there had been a decent f/s reel around at the time.....................

seth49

Reaction score
Bad luck that, must admit I have a couple of brand new pins I haven't used yet because I'm scared of scratching or damaging them.

Had them about two years now, will have to take them out and use them sometime,

But I have about nine pins altogether, so some are users, and some sit in the cabinet to be admired,taken out and spun, polished, and admired.

My wife is not allowed in my tackle room /spare bedroom.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Only got one, with some practise I now find it better than a FS for trotting and for some reason the line seems to bow less on the CP:confused:

Never had a big fish with one though and may have to try it on a Carp Puddle this summer to see how competent I really am with a CP, If it's a disaster, the reel may well be retired:(