Fishing in Scotland for salmon,is it too expensive

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A mate of mine has just come back from visiting his son in Scotland near Aberdeen. I asked him to ask about the fishing there as I might go with him one day. I worked out it was near the River Don. He said he did ask someone but was told unless I had a load of money; piles of it, forget it. He is a non angler so did not know how to fish about a bit for info. I understand its a free market, fishing is no different, if people will pay for a bit of exclusive fishing then so be it, but salmon are still only a fish at the end of the day, a bit prettier than a pike and maybe will fight a bit harder but that's all. So whats the big difference? Why can I fish for Pike for nothing or a tenner but I need a thousand+ to fish these fish for a day or a week.
I just think its a shame I cannot do something that's quite simple because I don't possess lottery jackpot numbers in my bank account.

greenie62

Reaction score
A couple of differences when fishing in Scotland:
- You don't need an EA licence - this saves money if salmon-fishing!
- No Sunday fishing!
PJ may have some info for you for 'up there'.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Fishing the River Don is not necessarily that expensive as you can get day permits for Trout and Salmon from between £15 to £60 per day on many of the beats where the local anglers tend to fish.

River Don Scotland

The River Dee can be a lot more expensive however with costs ranging from £300 to £1,200 per rod per week . . . . . but if you search around you can still find some bargain prices.

Don't forget the different close seasons either . . . . .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Fishing the River Don is not necessarily that expensive as you can get day permits for Trout and Salmon from between £15 to £60 per day on many of the beats where the local anglers tend to fish.

River Don Scotland

The River Dee can be a lot more expensive however with costs ranging from £300 to £1,200 per rod per week . . . . . but if you search around you can still find some bargain prices.

Don't forget the different close seasons either . . . . .

Thats a good link Peter, had a look through and finding some trout ticket water bookable for £15-£35 on the Don; also tackle shop information which will help.. I have to get the locations right yet, I will be somewhere downstream of Inverurie I think if this comes to fruition. . Anyway I have bookmark your link for more investigation. Its all a bit more up my street or in my pocket at least. My friend is a total non fisherman and I guess I was expecting to much of him to find out much. It would be a shame to be there and find I was unable to afford it.
Thank you.

The bad one

Reaction score
If I was to go salmon fishing and it cost me more than £2 30p a week, then it to dammed expensive. Coz that's all it cost me to fish on the Eden, Lune, Greta, Hodder, Welsh Dee, Severn, Wye and many others I can't think of at the moment. I do like value for my £2 30 pw I do :D

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If I was to go salmon fishing and it cost me more than £2 30p a week, then it to dammed expensive. Coz that's all it cost me to fish on the Eden, Lune, Greta, Hodder, Welsh Dee, Severn, Wye and many others I can't think of at the moment. I do like value for my £2 30 pw I do :D

Good for you Badone, its there if you look for it; I have often found this myself in many aspects of my fishing. I am not sure what people pay, I hear £500 a £1000 a week, I do not know if that's right but two salmon if your lucky in a week, an hours worth of excitement, then you put the fish back; phew, its a lot of money.
I just wonder if it is the image, the mystique, the myth? Is that what people are paying for rather than the reality?
Its a free world, a free market and I am not complaining, I just wonder if sometimes these things slip into surrealism.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I think just going for the experience and the ' being there ' is worth the money. I see these things as a one off and if you're going enjoy it at all then money has to be a secondary consideration. Yes, it is expensive ( just getting to Scotland costs an arm and a leg ! ) so if you look at it as getting your monies worth and not catching deemed a failure then perhaps it is not for you.....( IMHO )

If however you take in the whole package, the company, the wildlife, the locals and all the other elements it can be a wonderful experience.......I didn't manage a salmon but I loved every minute of my days on the Tay - a very special place and a pity I live so far away !!

Go enjoy it - for all the right reasons.....................

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Totally understand Tee Cees point, whatever is value to any perspective is right.

I did fish for salmon once, my brother and his wife took a restaurant with some fishing on the River Findhorn in Scotland, it was not considered a good river and the bit they had was considered useless. Nevertheless, I had a go and find the surroundings and just the fact I was doing it enchanting and I will not forget the experience.

soft plastic

Reaction score
River Findhorn not considered a "good river"? It's a typical spate stream and can produce fantastic sport. Like any spate stream/river you have to catch it right.

The bad one

Reaction score
I just wonder if it is the image, the mystique, the myth? Is that what people are paying for rather than the reality?
Its a free world, a free market and I am not complaining, I just wonder if sometimes these things slip into surrealism.
I think it all of them and more besides Mark. But it doesn't have to be, join the right club at realistic prices and your salmon fishing can be cheap as chips if you live north of Brum.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
River Findhorn not considered a "good river"? It's a typical spate stream and can produce fantastic sport. Like any spate stream/river you have to catch it right.

This was quite a long time ago Soft P, I did not know the area at all and on asking a few locals, they gave me the impression it was not considered very good, or maybe it was just a relative thing to the main known salmon rivers. Although at the time, it was reported they were having some exceptional runs that year, more salmon being reported in the nets than usual so, I thought I might have a chance.
Also I was confined to a little area, I think it was near Nairn, and this was not considered a good bit for salmon - add my inexperience of any salmon fishing. However, I thoroughly enjoyed myself, beautiful country and just doing it for the first time was a reward and it was a freebie.

---------- Post added at 08:05 ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 ----------

I think it all of them and more besides Mark. But it doesn't have to be, join the right club at realistic prices and your salmon fishing can be cheap as chips if you live north of Brum.

Its a lucky thing Badone, where you must live and you have sussed it out pretty well by the sounds of it. There are no salmon where I live and the cost of all the travel, board and fees just makes it a bit out of the question for me. maybe a one off life time thing like Tee Cee said but, the finances are always a consideration.
Still, I think I might be able to wangle a trip with my mate sometime. His son has moved up near Aberdeen, keeps sheep and has a nice little croft like place, with barns etc and the Don is nearby. Peters website is logged in now. Maybe a hand with the sheep and a couple of days fishing; I am working on it but my mate does not know that yet; but I think he's getting suspicious; one has to play these things right and I have had plenty of practice.:).

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I was rather fortunate that my old apartment was on the other side of the road to the River Dee and just about a 60 yards walk away.

The whole area from Aberdeen up to Inverness has some very good Trout, Seat Trout and Salmon fishing and it really doesn't have to be that expensive if you research it carefully.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Very true Peter, a very important aspect, overlooked maybe sometimes. I have procured some good fishing, cheap or sometimes free by lots of research and poking about. From humble coarse fishing up wards. The Badone has found some good things, its often there with some time spent investigating. Even up to the salmon and trout. I have stayed next to LochNess a couple of times and know the area although at that time I did not fish but the Loch and the River Ness had possibilities if I remember rightly.
I am sure if I get to visit this area near Aberdeen, I will be able to poke about, the person I might be staying with deals with a lot of farmers in the area, so who knows what I might be able to dig up and your website has some encouraging things on it.
Just out of interest, did you ever catch a Dee Salmon or otherwise? Did it live up to expectations? Or anyone else come to that.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Just out of interest, did you ever catch a Dee Salmon or otherwise? Did it live up to expectations?

I did take several Salmon from both the Dee and the Don, as well as some fabulous Sea Trout from the Rive Ugie which is close to Peterhead.

The Salmon all fought very well and I lost a few too, but the Sea Trout were in great condition and fought very well on a #7 set up.

Both are well worth chasing after if you get the chance . . . . .