MARK FRAME

after reading trout fisherman november issue i would like clarification on lead
article says turn 70 turns of lead on the hook

now i thought that lead was banned in sizes 8 to 1oz
is this legal or not?

Alan Roe

Reaction score
By my understanding, lead shot and weights are banned above size 8 to 1 oz
however there is no such restriction on the use of lead being used to weight down flies, if the lead is an integral part of the flies construction.
So carry on with your lead wire underbody!. That is unless someone else has a very different interpretation of the Law.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
By the way what size of hook are you using that can take 70!!!turns of lead....Also what would you want to put that much on for??What kind of rod are you going to use to deliver such a monstrosity...A Beachcaster!!

M

MARK FRAME

the fly is a tadpole on a size 10 long shank i must admit i had the same thoughts when i saw the article

D

DENIS GOULDING

Lads,
In the last few years flytying material has become very specific,the type of lead u use could be as thick 30lb nylon..used for thorax of fly only instead of using a bead head..(gives the same action to the fly)..or as thin as 5lb nylon...to give an even body to the fly ..normally used for stalking fish..probably the size that was used in this pattern mentioned..
In all international lake comps leaded or weighted flys are not allowed,but on river comps they are,u can use lead,gold heads even tungsten...................
i hope this will help..

Regards,
Denis..