Charity shop fly reel ID?

robtherake

Reaction score
Picked up a couple of items from a local charity shop. First is a Sonik SK6 #5/6 large arbour fly reel in as new condition (there doesn't seem to be any mention of the SK6 online, only the SK4); t'other is an unused and boxed Hardy fly line, Mach 1 Salmon WF 9/10 F/S, Wet type 5 Super Fast Sinking.

Paid £2 and £1, respectively; wuz I had? :wh:D

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
What's the reel's intended purpose, Graham (besides fly fishing - doh:D)?. Weighs next to nothing and is only about 3" diameter, with a very wide spool.

robtherake

Reaction score
It's a fly reel and it holds the fly line. That is its sole purpose.

Large arbor = wide spool. Good reels....you've had an unbelievable result there.

I thought so, too. :cool: The reel was boxed (albeit in a Ryobi box) and looks unused. Can't decide whether to offer it as a swap or buy a fly rod and have a dabble for coarse species with it. Hmmmm...(insert chin-rubbing emoticon here.) :D

flightliner

Reaction score
Rob --- use it as intended for trout before coarse fish, they generally fall easier to the fly or lure. You should have one or two waters available up your way.
My first ever trout on fly came when I was about eleven years old in the little beck up at Staithes near Whitby. I took it up seriously when I was in my late twenties, fabulous alternative to course fish.

robtherake

Reaction score
I'd have to fall in a bath of creosote to get a tan like his! Junk shops have been very kind to me over the years. I have an old (but still excellent) Philips CD player that was retailed at £400 back in 1986, bought for £4 in the short-lived junk shop opposite where we used to live. It still rates well, even against my much later Musical Fidelity X-ray, and has balanced outputs alongside the usual RCA connections. How I laughed, that day. :D

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

Rob --- use it as intended for trout before coarse fish, they generally fall easier to the fly or lure. You should have one or two waters available up your way.
My first ever trout on fly came when I was about eleven years old in the little beck up at Staithes near Whitby. I took it up seriously when I was in my late twenties, fabulous alternative to course fish.

That's only about ten minutes away from me, Mick; I cycled there as a teenager, but all my fish came on lowly maggots or worm. A little way up from the weirpool there's a ford, beyond which the stream narrows significantly, but there's a steady little glide just a short way up from there where fishing is prohibited. I was trotting the glide with a tiny home-made "trout bob" (they saw use on Kilton Beck, too) with dusk drawing in, and as the colours deepened a patch of white winked at me from the enclosing copse. I crouched, slowly and instinctively, and was rewarded when a big doe came down to drink on the opposite side of the stream, a couple of yards lower down - a truly magical moment where I almost forgot to breathe. I'd checked the float at the bottom of the run and it started to bob when a troutlet took the tantalising worm that was waving in the current. She noticed the movement and, looking up, our eyes met for the briefest time before she melted back into the scenery, without a start or any unseemly haste. I like to think she saw a kindness in me and knew there was no danger...what a beautiful moment. Thanks for jogging my memory: I had some lovely times on that tiny stream. :)

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Picked up a couple of items from a local charity shop. First is a Sonik SK6 #5/6 large arbour fly reel in as new condition (there doesn't seem to be any mention of the SK6 online, only the SK4); t'other is an unused and boxed Hardy fly line, Mach 1 Salmon WF 9/10 F/S, Wet type 5 Super Fast Sinking.

Paid £2 and £1, respectively; wuz I had? :wh:D

A good find, particularly the reel, which is more of a "normal" trout sized fly reel.

Also the line could be good as well, depends on the condition. Even though it's boxed, if it has started to "crack and crackle" that's not good. But it's a Weight Forward (WF), size 9/10 (more of a smallish Scottish river trout/grilse line rather than a big Spey salmon line), Very Fast Sinking (F/S) perfect for fast moving spate rivers.

:):)

robtherake

Reaction score
I'm still having trouble finding the provenance for this little reel. There's an SK4, which differs slightly in appearance from the SK6 (the rear of the body is slightly dished, unlike the current SK4) and there seems to be no internet reference. An email to Sonik requesting information has, so far, gone unanswered, so I was hoping that someone on here has seen one, or read of it. There's an outside chance, I suppose, that it's a prototype, but there's no reference that I can find - Googling SK6 just brings up information on the SK6 range of fly rods.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Now here's a conundrum, something I had never thought of but for a friend mentioning it, when you buy something from a charity shop and sell it on for a profit, should you go back and give the charity shop something? I tend to say no, just leave things as they are but is there a morality issue in there!
I am not saying anyone should, its entirely up to them but, it does propose a conscience issue.

I am not putting anyone on the line, its not as if I ever thought of it; I tend to view it as they probably got the item free, they have made their money on it, what happens after that is just the way it is-however, I thought my friend did have a point, anyone got a view on that just out of interest?

I have found plenty of good bargains in charity shops Rob, house clearance shops are often best, prices just get thrown in and there are often some gems around. Its nice buying and owning new things for sure but it does help the pocket and often a buzz finding something good.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Good point, Mark - but I think you should get more fishing in! ;):eek:mg:

I hope no one thinks I am suggesting they should have a consience about it, I have bought and sold many things from these shops and will continue to do so. It was only a few weeks ago my friend said this so it was on my mind and he only mentioned it, he was not saying I was doing anything wrong but I did think he had a point. Mind you, hes a bit of an intellectual type who would come up with something like that

Your right Greenie , too much thinking and not enough fishing, perhaps I should drop me intellectual type friends, they do make my brain hurt a bit. :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Now here's a conundrum, something I had never thought of but for a friend mentioning it, when you buy something from a charity shop and sell it on for a profit, should you go back and give the charity shop something?

Certainly not. Do they give you anything when they flog what you've donated FOC for a profit ?

No...they send you a "thank you" note every now and then which seems to delight Mrs S but to me just sounds like gloating.

Speaking of Charity shops & Mrs S.....on more than one occasion she has donated something which she has subsequently bought back not realising. Muppet ! She was in one in our village recently with "The Boy" who kept finding his stuff on the racks. She'd had a clear out and not told him. Fortunately he thought it was hysterical & was sending pics to all his mates.

robtherake

Reaction score
Your right Greenie , too much thinking and not enough fishing, perhaps I should drop me intellectual type friends, they do make my brain hurt a bit. :)

I was once told that the best way to expand your mind was to seek the company of those who are cleverer than yourself, and in these days, where disinformation, distraction, and propaganda are passed off as national news in order to hide the truth, that's more important than ever, I feel.

robtherake

Reaction score
Back on subject, has anyone else seen an SK6? I find it most odd that there's no information coming up on Google.:confused: