Looking after your fishing wear,

flightliner

Reaction score
I,m not very good at looking after my clobber, at the end of a days fishing I just hang it up in my garage, if its wet thro I have a shelf above my garage door with a nail on the edge that allows clothing to hang free and dry with a little fresh air from from the doorway.
I,m always being pestered by swmbo to have it washed but I tend to turn a deaf ear.
I finally relented yesterday after my bib n brace , fleece n welly socks had a definate pong to them, a certain muddy one mixed with fish slime , dried groundbait, maggot wipings off maggotty fingers---- you know the one?.
Well, I must say how nice they are after their annual trip thro the washing m/c, clean, fresh smelling and ready for another outing tomorrow.
Big downside tho is a final warning not to leave it so long next time, the water pumped out from the washing m/c was so muddy it beggered belief.
Whats your cleaning schedule.?:wh

B

binka

Whats your cleaning schedule.?:wh

Not much lasts long enough to need cleaning!

Joking apart it's on an as and when basis when the thought occurs to me at a time when I'm not likely to need it too soon.

Agree on the water that the washer chucks out... I always tell her to be careful not to spill it on her :p

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Pretty well identical to yours. The trousers get washed fairly regularly...especially in winter when they do get a bit whiffy from the deadbait but fleeces etc it's probably once a year at best. The one piece ( or Babygro as Mrs S calls it) I think has been washed 3/4 times in its life and I've had it a very long time !

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
My gear always gets a good clean and dry.

My reels get a good cleaning inside once a year.

The bank sticks get cleaned before going into the quiver if i have used any.

Bivvy, groundsheet and brolly always get dried out if wet, as does anything else that gets wet.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Ah...now wet is different. Clothing and gear must be dried ( properly) before it goes away. It drives Mrs S nuts when I have stuff all over the place drying off but as I tell her she is very welcome to buy me new gear if it rusts or rots because I put it away wet.

robtherake

Reaction score
The outer stuff only gets a clean when it's truly 'orrible; most of it's waterproof and gets a re-proofing now and again. I wear fishing clobber till it's U/S, but I draw the line at my Preston Drifish Celsius suit, which, despite being serviceable, has developed a peculiar and deeply unpleasant odour which repeated washings have failed to remove.:puke: Still, it's well into its second decade, so I shouldn't grumble.

All other garments - unless they're made from "technical" fabrics - go through the washer on a regular basis - we don't have a garage, so stuff that comes indoors has to pass the wife's sniff test - if she can smell it through the door of the tackle den it gets cleaned. :rolleyes: I really like the old British Army DPM clothing, which can be worn and washed for donkey's years without wearing out, unlike similar items made from more modern fabrics. Frankly, I don't give a monkey's what I look like on the bank as long as I'm warm and dry. The big pile of stuff I won from Navitas - although sober enough - has me feeling overdressed...best daub some mud on it. :D

tom_moran

Reaction score
I wash mine once used, however my dpm gortex trousers and jacket have never been washed in the 4 years I've been abusing them. The rain washes off the mud and the smell doesn't seem to stick to them. Only other garment is a Swedish army 'duvet coat that huge and incredibly warm, that gets washed when it's needed and has a waterproofing treatment put on it every time

john step

Reaction score
The winter waterproofs once the winter is gone.
The other stuff is washed when the groundbait starts flaking off.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
My Sundridge Igloo coat has never been washed (7 or 8 years now) and I'm a bit loathe to do it as I'm scared of damaging it's waterproof-ness, which has always been amazing.

Other than that - everything else gets a go through the machine on a regular basis.

However - a few times a year I will go away with a few fishing buddies for a three day trip. We don't bivvy up, but we will fish every day for a long weekend. Carp or barbel, season dependent, but usually plenty of groundbait. My fishing trousers tend to stand up by themselves by day three, and getting back in them and the only tshirt I've been fishing in for three days tends to be a bit of a challenge to overcome on the last day. Having said that, once you're back outside I tend not to notice.

I've learnt to make sure I change before I go home though!

Last edited:

daniel121

Reaction score
Clothing - I look like Wurzel gummage on the bank mate, couldn't give a **** what I wear as long as it's cheap and warm. The waterproofing never gets washed, slime is a badge of honor mate ;):eek::D

Poles/Rod/Reels/seatboxes etc get wiped oiled polished and looked after regularly so they last and work properly. I'm quite a practical minded person,fashion or looking good doesn't compute in my head - as far as fishing goes anyway.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
Clothing gets used once then washed.
Water proofs IE bib and braces and coats get cleaned when I clean my tackle. NEVER.

flightliner

Reaction score
I went out yesterday and as the sun swung behind a treeline it became decidedly chilly so I went back to the car for my newly washed bib n braces.
The smell of their recant wash was a rather nice fabric conditioner and the nylon outer shell felt really soft and smooth ( stop it !) , about two hours later you wouldnt even say they had been washed, this morning they had dried ok but god it was nice to smell that familier fish slime pong!.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I suppose I treat my clothing much the same way I treat my fishing gear - it has to be clean, full stop ! Everything, but everything gets dried properly, reels are checked every week, particularly centrepins and rods are wiped down after every trip - no exceptions !

Boring as it might seem I just don't like dirt and I make it my first job to check my gear as soon as I get home simply because I'm probably going out the next day so it pays to keep up some sort of regime which gives clean tackle to work with. I must get up in the early mornings knowing I don't need to wash yesterdays flask and when arriving on the bank in the gloom I don't want to spend precious time searching for stuff in the bottom of my bag only to find I forgot to bring it !!

Keeping my gear clean is down to me and having lived alone for periods of my life where I needed to fend for myself, I don't find it a chore to wash everything as and when. I've got a couple of ' sets ' of clothing so if I'm short of time I have clean stuff to use..

All of this is probably down to my training as an engineer and the same standards I applied to my working life - thoroughness in thought and application and these things stay with you.........Doesn't mean to say I'm fanatical - I just like to be organised !

Fishing tackle plastered in old groundbait and clothes smelling - It might be some form of ' badge of recognition ' for some and good luck to them, but it's not for me !!!
As my old mum used to say to me in youth " always be clean and presentable -people watch for these things " and who's to say she wasn't dead right eh ??

ps Out tomorrow so tackle just checked with one or two extra floats added and hooks replenished, so I'm good to go...Oh, and the maggots were cleaned this morning so they're in top condition as well..

Last edited:
B

binka

My Sundridge Igloo coat has never been washed (7 or 8 years now) and I'm a bit loathe to do it as I'm scared of damaging it's waterproof-ness, which has always been amazing.

I still have the original Mk1 Sundridge Igloo bib 'n brace and big coat, amazingly warm and a rare quality.

It no longer fits but I won't get rid just in case I drop a few stone :eek:mg: