This is a new one...

mightyboosh

Reaction score
20160420205408_20160418_142016%20scaled_zpspz8ezpsy.jpg

daniel121

Reaction score
That's horrible to view. Just goes to show different cultures, different values :)

What's a few hundred pounds worth of fish to be admired and respected to us, is mearly an 8.99 a kilo cheap dinner to others.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's horrible to view. Just goes to show different cultures, different values :)

What's a few hundred pounds worth of fish to be admired and respected to us, is mearly an 8.99 a kilo cheap dinner to others.

Why should it be horrible to view Daniel? Do you feel the same way about all the other species on the fish counter? I assume these carp are factory farmed for the purpose, might be wishful thinking but if more supermarkets did the same at a reasonable price, perhaps there would be less thieving from the waters we fish.

mightyboosh

Reaction score
All carp are a pest in NZ and must be killed immediately, that's the law. As such, keeping koi is illegal. I suspect these fish were the by-catch of mullet netting.

No one knows what to do with them, they are most often turned in to fertiliser or bait for sea fish. Bow hunting koi is a popular pastime. As far as I can tell, these fish are being sold to Asian immigrants who like eating them.

lee_j

Reaction score
Why should it be horrible to view Daniel? Do you feel the same way about all the other species on the fish counter? I assume these carp are factory farmed for the purpose, might be wishful thinking but if more supermarkets did the same at a reasonable price, perhaps there would be less thieving from the waters we fish.

My first reaction was the same as daniel's then I agreed with your reply, but I wonder how many of these Eastern Europeans would actually buy (at any price) from a supermarket what they are getting for free from our lakes rivers and canals ? I think probably not that many ! And as for cormorants , I've never seen a single one in asda fish shopping :D

Last edited:
B

binka

For an awful moment just then I had a terrible vision of it happening over here, courtesy of our Eastern European friends...

mightyboosh

Reaction score
What next then? RATS 2:99kg? :)

They are pretty much regarded as rats (or worse) by Kiwis! Our Asian friends see things differently. Come to think of it, I visited a town on the Vietnam-China border once. Every restaurant had rats in cages outside. I don't think they were pets!

rayner

Reaction score
They are pretty much regarded as rats (or worse) by Kiwis! Our Asian friends see things differently. Come to think of it, I visited a town on the Vietnam-China border once. Every restaurant had rats in cages outside. I don't think they were pets!

Chinese were blamed for releasing Snakehead fish in America for some reason the authorities allowed Snakeheads to be bought live from Chinese stores.

I see nothing wrong with any fish for sale from especially Super Markets.
Come to that I see nothing wrong from anglers taking fish from waterways so long as anglers stick to bylaws there should be no problem.
The legal numbers of fish that can be taken and size limits are on the EA web site.
Before anyone has an issue with anglers taking any part of their catch we should canvas for change in the law.
As long as anglers are legally allowed to take fish we will always have rule breakers/stretches. If the law says taking any fish from fresh water is illegal we then may have a point.
I can understand any foreigners getting confused plenty English anglers aren't aware of the rules.

laguna

Reaction score
Waste not want not! though I'm surprised at seeing koi for sale to eat which are ornamental fish not necessarily trash fish like asian carp are in the USA or the common carp in Aus and NZ.

There is a strain known as the "Yanco" (Japanese for carp) strain in Aus which is orange but clearly these are koi and labelled as such. (and cheap)!

The history of carp in Australia...
The exact date of the carp's initial introduction to Australia is unclear. Some records claim the species was introduced to waters near Sydney as early as the 1850s. Others claim the first introduction was to Victoria in the 1870s. The earliest documented report was from David Stead who purchased carp from a "bird and animal dealer "in Sydney and introduced them into Prospect Reservoir in 1907 and 1908. They became known as the "Prospect strain".
During the 1940s and 1950s there were reports of carp in the irrigation channels of the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area.These were different from the Prospect fish in that they were orange in colour and became known as the "Yanco" strain. In 1961 or 1962, a fish farmer in south-eastern Victoria introduced a carp to his ponds at Boolara.
Australia only witnessed a dramatic increase in the carp's range in the 1970s when they had been present for many years.
Genetic research has shown the four types of carp; the Prospect, Yanco, Koi (Japanese for carp) and Boolarra strains, behave differently. The Boolarra strain was probably imported from Europe where it had been developed specifically for fish farming and only the Boolarra and Koi strains could colonise and rapidly adapt to the Australian environment.

Ref. Carp: the Australian story - Fishing World

laguna

Reaction score
daniel, you think that is horrible?
what are your thoughts on this then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP-oRwpLFFI

Cultural differences may be accepted by some, but its still needless animal cruelty no matter how its dressed up to ease the torment. A case of breeding having no conscience or regard for sentient creatures... the Chinese are one of the world's worse offenders.

Apparently the neighbourhood cats all taste like chicken when spattered with a whisker of OK sauce!

steve2

Reaction score
If you look in some fishmongers there are plenty of freshwater fish for sale.
Recently have seen Pike, Carp, Roach and Bream all for sale on market stalls.
Looking at the fish boxes they appear to be imported from Europe.
Just a thought, is there a close season for bow fishing on rivers, could be a way of removing those unwanted carp.

Aussie Bob

Reaction score
They sell carp at most of the major fish markets over here never seen koi carp though. Not sure of the appeal when you have such a good sea fish selection.
All carp have to be removed and killed in Aus as well , local lake close to me I heard some strange rumours about a major carp cull there didn't realise how medieval it got until I looked it up online. Foul hooking with snapper hooks ? Cricket bats ? some of the anti carp sentiment does really bring out some idiots :mad:

No Cookies | The Weekly Times

It does show how quickly the carp breed over here though , strangest thing about this is most of the so called anglers whacking carp here would want the lake to return to its former glory of a noted redfin (English perch) and trout water. So replacing carp with more imported species....:eek:mg:...

There are other uses for Aus carp available at most local garden stores.....

Charlie Carp | Products - Charlie Carp

lutra

Reaction score

To my knowledge its pretty much always been the culture in the UK to eat fish and I should think buying and selling it will have been around almost as long.

Unlike some species we eat there has been a massive increase in the number of carp in the UK in resent years. So I can see little if any harm been done by eating a few.

I have heard it said that the only good reason to go fishing is to eat the fish we catch and the removal of that right could jeopardize the whole long term future of the sport of angling.

The only cultural changes I see are by many UK anglers.

The bad one

Reaction score
I can understand any foreigners getting confused plenty English anglers aren't aware of the rules.
This shouldn't be confusing as all fish in stillwaters are owned by the water owner, renter, leasee, etc, to remove fish from it without the permission of the above is Theft under the Theft Act a criminal matter.
Running water there's not much difference either, if the owner, renter, leasee, etc, states all fish dead or alive to be returned to the water, no fish to be taken away from the water, etc, by not doing as instructed, runs the very real risk of being charged with theft of fishing rights a criminal matter under the Theft Act
The same also applies if the above give you consent to remove certain species of fish Trout salmon etc, but not others, then you run the risk of theft of fishing rights.
The fact that some anglers are not aware of this is very unlikely to be a defence in court.Ignorance of the law is no defence in the eyes of the law.

lutra

Reaction score
This shouldn't be confusing as all fish in stillwaters are owned by the water owner, renter, leasee, etc, to remove fish from it without the permission of the above is Theft under the Theft Act a criminal matter.
Running water there's not much difference either, if the owner, renter, leasee, etc, states all fish dead or alive to be returned to the water, no fish to be taken away from the water, etc, by not doing as instructed, runs the very real risk of being charged with theft of fishing rights a criminal matter under the Theft Act
The same also applies if the above give you consent to remove certain species of fish Trout salmon etc, but not others, then you run the risk of theft of fishing rights.
The fact that some anglers are not aware of this is very unlikely to be a defence in court.Ignorance of the law is no defence in the eyes of the law.

But its not that simple. You've not factored in many of Englands largest stillwaters who's waters aren't privately owned. Or the daily take and size limits for rivers in England. :)