''Angling wives''

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Often referred to as angling ''widows''. From the outset let me say that I have been blessed with a good 'un. Pat and I have been married now for fifty years, and throughout that time she has been a constant source of encouragement. Starting from our days of courtship when she went along on most trips and even fished herself up until the arrival of our first child.

She has wined and dined a whole procession of anglers over the years, painted floats etc. Here's a little snippet of the measure of the woman, after the birth of our second child my late mother insisted to her that she should discourage me from going fishing so often, Pat replied, why would I want to change the man I fell in love with. I know everyone hasn't been so fortunate, but obviously I have no complaints, one lucky sod. How about you?

B

binka

I was always very careful never to let fishing and relationships conflict with each other.

I've been engaged twice in my earlier life and as soon as they started to moan about me fishing, they were out!

It works for me :D

carpinbob

Reaction score
Never had any problem going fishing when I want to even after 30 years of marriage.

sumtime

Reaction score
Been married for 47yrs next month and not once has she complained. She has sat on rocks on Anglesey and Cornwall reading a book while my youngest lad and I have fished for hours. Hired a small boat in Falmouth, our son and I fished on while my wife lounged in the cabin, not one moan.

She has mentioned if anything happened to me she would bin all the fishing gear :eek: (clutter to her :)) I informed her of the cost of some of the stuff but I don't think it made any difference at all. :rolleyes:

thecrow

Reaction score
I am very fortunate that even when I fished much more than I do now my wife never complained, she has put up with all my bait making antics including the associated stinks, my trips abroad to the Netherlands, Belgium and France even redecorating while I was away, I would be lost without her.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Mrs S has never shown the slightest interest in accompanying me but completely understands that it is what I do and has never, ever tried to dissuade me from going or moaned when I do. Been together 40+ years so somebody's doing something right....almost certainly her.

Keith M

Reaction score
When I first got married the wife used to get up and give me breakfast in bed at 4am when I went fishing, even when I told her not to. Perhaps she was making sure that I had gone LOL.

Then she met my mates wife who told her she was being far too nice to me, and ever since I've had to make my own breakfast and take her a cup of tea on my way out.

After 43 years of marriage she has rarely complained about my fishing or my bait making and never moans about me spending money on new tackle. although she rarely goes with me these days.

Keith

john step

Reaction score
47 years and still OK with my fishing. In return I follow her around garden centres muttering agreement about some pretty plant or other.

ciprinus

Reaction score

brianemb

Reaction score
Me and the wife have both just joined a fishing club so we are looking forward to some pleasant summer evenings sitting by a quiet lake somewhere.

I suspect I might be fishing on my own through the winter though :)

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
We have been together for 34 years, married for 30 years this year.

Never had a problem when ever i wanted to go fishing. Jane used to come along sometimes and fished herself. We had a few weekends away fishing the Trent, and some pits in Peterborough.

When the boys were born, she liked to see them catching fish as very young kids, and i mean 2 year olds. As the boys got older, she was happy for us to go away for weekends, giving her some peace and quite :D.

Nothing has changed, now the boys have all moved on. I still go when i want, and if i am local she will sometimes pop by to see how i am getting on.

Like many others on here, I got a good un as well.

peterjg

Reaction score
Been married to my wonderful wife for 42 years. She puts up with my obsession and stupidity. She comes fishing with me in the summer, her favourite method is swing tipping, she catches far too many! She once caught a 23lb common on 3lb line with a piece of sweetcorn on a 14 hook using a 9ft swingtip rod. In the past she (and the kids) even helped me mix paste for boilies on a large scale.

tom_moran

Reaction score
Mines seems to dislike me going fishing. I don't go often, I usually have an evening after work once a week and the occasional 1-2 nighters in the year. Sometimes knowing she doesn't like me fishing kills the enjoyment a bit

ciprinus

Reaction score
Mines seems to dislike me going fishing. I don't go often, I usually have an evening after work once a week and the occasional 1-2 nighters in the year. Sometimes knowing she doesn't like me fishing kills the enjoyment a bit

im afraid that that would be a guilty pleasure :D

slaphead

Reaction score
The Boss and I have been married for 43 years this year and I know my place.

However, she has put up with my music, motor bike racing, and lately fishing obsessions over those years.

She has also stood by me during my health problems.

So I have decided to support her gardening efforts, and allow her to fill the house with seedlings. :D

lee_j

Reaction score
My daughter started going fishing at a younger age than I did as my Mrs accompanied me on summer evenings while pregnant :) (I carried the tackle she carried the nipper :D) she still likes coming to watch now and again and has a non fishing permit for my club , she can cook hemp and various other particles better than any meal I recon too been living together 19 years now and never changed . I woke up to a screaming run on my 40'th birthday thanks to her , she asked what I wanted to do I said I just fancy an over nighter but it's not fair on you is it so she came and bivvied up with me and I woke to a screamer and she slipped the net under it :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Just this week my wife offered support and help around my fishing...On Tuesday, as she was going shopping she asked if I needed any more Warburtons for the freezer from the supermarket and yesterday, when I had related ' flightliners ' story of catching roach on Mussels, she offered to call in to a local shop to pick up a couple of jars ( that she knows sells them ) if I needed them urgently. She has popped off to the tackle shop for bait new line on many occasions..
It's the sort of support or encouragement she has always given me.......

How many times over the years has she said how much pleasure she gets from seeing me return from my sessions, to see me walk through the door with what she calls that glow of satisfaction and look of contentment. She listens to stories of success and failure, about the day generally and what birdlife I might have seen, rushing for the book on birds if I've seen something unusual.
In return I will normally ask about her day, and help with something in the garden if needs be - like yesterday it was the turn of the grass to have a birthday, and this with me still in fishing gear !

I've been out four times since Sunday but today and over the weekend we have things to do together such as planning trips into London and Oxford to see forthcoming exhibitions and galleries, something we both love doing, and which always includes a good lunch ! We have tickets for a thing at the British Museum on Sicily coming up plus we are going to see the Rolling Stones exhibition at the Saachi Gallery sometime soon. It's the ' together ' part of our marriage..................

Fishing will take a back seat until next week, and so it should !!

In the meantime I look forward to walking up to the local with her tonight for a pint and a chat......All part of a very god life.

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
If we are all honest, we have to give and take.

In my case I give her the money, and I take myself fishing :D:D.

Like Tee Cee there are times when we have friends or family around, or we are going somewhere, so fishing takes a back seat.

Right now, i am going no where due to my Ankle, but if i can just get on her nerves a bit more, she might take me for a few hours one evening next week :D.

Jane just doesn't know it yet :eek::eek:mg: