New Club -First visit

brianemb

Reaction score
I joined a local Club this week and am off for my first session shortly at one of their waters.
I had a look last night on the way home from work. Three smallish lakes in the grounds of Cobham Hall in Kent. They look absolutely stunning all surrounded by trees. I am told two of the lakes hold carp to 20lb and the other is an all silvers lake.
I think I will give one of the carp lakes a go today although I'm not too fussed about what I catch as long as I catch something.
I'm feeling a little excited!

Keith M

Reaction score
Sounds good, hope you have a productive day :thumbs:

Don't forget to let us know how you get on.

Keith

qtaran111

Reaction score
Hi Brian, is that Repton Ponds owned by TWAPS? There's meant to be some really nice crucians in Top pond, definitely worth a crack a this time of year.

brianemb

Reaction score
It is Repton Ponds indeed. I fished the top pond.

There was a bit of a chilly northerly wind blowing today which lowered the temperatures from the preceding days and I think that put the fish off a bit. I couldn't temp any carp at all but I caught a lot of roach and Rudd and some quite nice perch. Tried all sorts of different baits but the only thing that would get any bites at all was maggot.

All in all not a bad day for somewhere I've never fished before and as I have some bait left over I might just do another couple of hours tomorrow morning on the bottom pond.

daniel121

Reaction score
It's always exciting fishing a new place for the first time.

I have joined a club last year who have took over a lake I used to fish years ago, however they drained it and killed all the top lipped gudgeon that invaded it. So effectively it's a new lake.

It wasn't the best day to try out a new venue Brian, I finished a different club lake to the one above. That's very heavily stocked I have had big weights out resently but yesterday it was very hard I caught about half of what I expected too - enjoyed it though :) plus I have loads of bait for my mid weeker ;)

I find fining off, fishing soft rods and small hooks and catch everything baits like pinkie,maggots and worms are favorite while the weather is still being a little volatile. :)

qtaran111

Reaction score
Nice one Brian, sounds like you did a good job. I think the temp drop over the past coupe of days has played havoc with fish feeding behaviour.

I recently joined TWAPS too and am really looking forward to having a crack at Repton Ponds. I fished one of their other lakes at Shorne Woods a few weeks back and had some really nice rudd.