Shimano Body sizes

trotter2

Reaction score
Can anyone clarify how the body sizes overlap on the shimano reels.
I understand that the reels have the same body sizes on different models and just the spools change and also the rotors.
But how does this work and which models are the same in body size?

Cheers

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Re: Shimano Body sizears back

Sam Vimes is your man for most things Shimano, my Stradic 3000, (a beautiful white, double handled reel:)) is considerably larger than the Rarenium Ci4 3000 I bought a couple of years ago which is closer to the 2500 reel size.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

I keep having this recurring nightmare. I arrive at Bury Hill...the zander are in a feeding frenzy and there isn't a carper with a headtorch to be seen. I open my bag and all I've got are 2 catspunk, double handled Stradics loaded with Sensor.

I wake up screaming !

Back on topic. Who knows ? It's all a marketing ploy designed to flog you the same reel every year for more money.

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score

I keep having this recurring nightmare. I arrive at Bury Hill...the zander are in a feeding frenzy and there isn't a carper with a headtorch to be seen. I open my bag and all I've got are 2 catspunk, double handled Stradics loaded with Sensor.

I wake up screaming !

Back on topic. Who knows ? It's all a marketing ploy designed to flog you the same reel every year for more money.

Have a look at alan hawk.com, although he focuses on heavy duty sea reels,he points out a lot of the marketing b*llsh*t in the industry.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
I have Rareniums in 2500 and 3000 sizes and the reels are the same size. The spools are the same diameter and interchangeable. The 3000 is a shallower spool. The spool diameters are the same size as a 5000 GTE baitrunner, but are smaller than a 4000 size front drag.

'kin minefield!

BTW a 2508 Daiwa is a larger diameter spool than a 2500/3000 Shimano

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
As much as i can't stand shimanos myself, they are not the only ones who do this.

Plenty of reels on the market have same body size and will take different spools. The only difference in spool size is the amount of line they take.

4000, maybe the smallest size in the reel range, but the reel will also take a 5000, 6000 size spool. In general the higher the spool number, 4, 5, 6000, so on, the more line the spool will hold.

sam vimes

Reaction score

Sam Vimes is your man for most things Shimano

Not particularly with the very recent stuff. I don't need them, so I avoid looking!;):D:eek:

Generally speaking, much depends upon the particular reel type, there's nowt set in stone. However, in the rear drag match type reels, 3000 and 4000 often share the same body size. I couldn't say much about the smaller ones, I have no use for them and therefore no interest. One thing I do know is that the 2500/2000 sizes often had physically smaller spool than the 3000s but a greater line capacity. Look out for the S suffix indicating a shallow match spool.

With the older type of standard rear drag baitrunners (GTE-B, GTE-C XTEA etc), 5000 were usually the odd ones out and 6000, 8000 and 10000 have a common body. Sometimes spools were interchangeable between the bigger sizes too. With the newer mini baitrunner ranges (prior to the newer Aero) the 2500 and 4000 shared a body size.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I have Rareniums in 2500 and 3000 sizes and the reels are the same size. The spools are the same diameter and interchangeable. The 3000 is a shallower spool. The spool diameters are the same size as a 5000 GTE baitrunner, but are smaller than a 4000 size front drag.

'kin minefield!

BTW a 2508 Daiwa is a larger diameter spool than a 2500/3000 Shimano

That's broadly true of Daiwa reels generally and the larger diameter spool is one of the reasons I prefer them to Shimano. The spools on my Regal Z 3500s and 4000s are interchangeable.

Rareniums ? Weren't they part of the Dominion in Star Trek DS9 ?

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
Thanks for the info lads, I must say I am finding this quite confusing.
So the 2500 is the same body as the 4000?

What about the 1000 and the 2000 are they one and the same body size with spools which are interchangeable between the two models again?

Cheers
Trotter2

sam vimes

Reaction score

What about the 1000 and the 2000 are they one and the same body size with spools which are interchangeable between the two models again?

Cheers
Trotter2

Do not make the mistake of thinking in absolutes. What might be true for Shimano the original GTM rear drag Stradics might not be true for the later GTMRC Stradics. That's before you start chucking Catanas, Rareniums etc etc into the mix. A 1000 and 2000 size reel from the same model range might have the same body size, but may or may not have the same sized rotors and interchangeable spools. You can't even say that the larger the number, the greater the line capacity. Some ranges have "S" (shallow match spool" models within the range. A 3000 or 4000S can have a bigger spool with less line capacity than the 2500 model in the same range.

S-Kippy

Reaction score

Cheers
Trotter2

I think that's true for the Shimano " baby" bait runners. I don't think that's generally the case. More likely that the 2500 and 3000 are the same size and the 3500 and 4000 likewise. Above that and I'm lost as I don't own any reel larger than 4000 size. That is very much a generalisation and I wouldn't assume it to be true.

Likewise I'm not familiar with the small sizes. All I know is that I don't like them because the spools tend to be very small diameter. I have one 2500 sized reel and that's as small as I feel the need to go. Better off going to have a look.

trotter2

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Sam and Kippy :thumbs:

Trotter2

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
In terms of the older Shimano reels that I have (Aero, Catana, Stradic and Baitrunner), the higher the number, the larger the reel, I can't comment on spool size or capacity. The newer 3000 Rarenium and Technium reels are roughly comparable in size to the 2500 Catana.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
That's broadly true of Daiwa reels generally and the larger diameter spool is one of the reasons I prefer them to Shimano. The spools on my Regal Z 3500s and 4000s are interchangeable.

Rareniums ? Weren't they part of the Dominion in Star Trek DS9 ?

Only that the current Shimano's are light years ahead of Daiwa's

Shimano does have a tendancy to share reel bodies between sizes.