Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've been given a carp rod , I've got 2 and want to use thus as a Spod rod

The rod has a t&c of 2.5 lb and in going to set it up with a mini Spod
What bs line should I used I'm thinking about 15 lb

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot will depend on what size of spod you are intending to use Paul.

Personally I'd say that a T/C of just 2½lbs is on the light side to be honest.

My spod rod is around 5lbs T/C and my Marker rod is 2½lbs . . . .

If using a line of 15lbs B/S then I'd say you would need a much stronger leader, around 35lnbs to be honest.

The energy created with even a relatively light spod is more thna likely to give you problems with such a light T/C.

I am sure that there are others here who might disagree, but my final comment would be if you decide to go ahead then make sure you have pretty good 3rd Party Insurance . . . . .

Last edited:

carpinbob

Reaction score
I use a 2.75 carp rod with 15lb line have no problems when using a mini spomb fully loaded.

robtherake

Reaction score
I was using a Gardner mini spod and 2.75lb rod with 12lb line, but that was for no more than 50yds or so, maximum. I've switched to a cheap 30lb braid from Ebay, presumably Chinese, but plenty good enough and needs less effort so you can be more accurate. I'd treat yourself to a finger stall: line - braid especially - can cut like cheesewire through fingers softened by water.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
maybe I should have said that I'll not be spodding out 5 litres of spod mix as seen in some TV carp show

I'll probably spod out 4 half full mini spods to start and fish over that

I'm fishing a natural lake with a decent head of carp to about 20lb

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
If your using line rather than braid, then you would be better off using a shock leader on a 2.5 tc rod, or any rod come to that.

Your using a mini spod i know, but better to be safe than sorry.

lee_j

Reaction score
The rod probably will be too light pal unless your just putting corn or something in the spod anything wet like groundbait loaded up with particles is probably going to be too heavy even in a mini spod as for line 10lb will do with a shock leader , this is what I used before I went onto braid in my spodding days you'll get more distance with 10lb line so you won't have to put as much effort into the cast , just make sure you get a few turns of the leader round your spool