Line rating help please

nova12

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a new garbolino rocket picker 9 foot feeder rod.But the line rating is 2lb to 5lb and up to 4lb hook lengths.
I use 8lb line on my daiwa reel with 7lb hook length will this be too much for the rod will it damage the eyes of the rod as I don't want to buy it if it is not fit for purpose I will be catching carp to 12 lb on it also.
I'm currently using the browning 8 foot force wand and it's doing me good but I've heard good things about these garbolino pickers and for the price of £25 it isn't breaking the bank.
Any help at all will be greatly appreciated kind regards lloyd.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Lloyd,

The old formula used to be:

Multiply the test curve by 3 for the minimum and by 6 for the maximum line strength. This could also be applied to the casting weight BUT by changing pounds to ounces.

The carbon rods of today have a greater tolerance so line strengths can increased somewhat . . also the action of the rod and the setting of the drag on your reel also come into play with modern equipment.

greenie62

Reaction score
..... I've heard good things about these garbolino pickers and for the price of £25 it isn't breaking the bank....

Hi Lloyd,
This might explain why I've seen several discarded broken Garbolino 'pickers' around one of my local waters - all bust just below the 'tip ferrule' - broke whilst playing fish or overweight casting? :confused:

If they're that cheap - perhaps lads aren't bothering to fix them! :eek:
Tight Lines!

nova12

Reaction score
Thankyou for the reply ithink i will have a good think on a better 9 foot rod to buy if that is the case.

steve2

Reaction score
I have got a the same Browning somewhere in my unused collection. Never had any problems with 6lb line or with handling carp on match lakes. If you an 8ft rod why bother with a 9ft?

robtherake

Reaction score
Hi Lloyd,
This might explain why I've seen several discarded broken Garbolino 'pickers' around one of my local waters - all bust just below the 'tip ferrule' - broke whilst playing fish or overweight casting? :confused:

If they're that cheap - perhaps lads aren't bothering to fix them! :eek:
Tight Lines!

The nice gentleman at my local shop said he gets loads of them returned - the blank wall is thinner than a Rizla. :(

greenie62

Reaction score
The nice gentleman at my local shop said he gets loads of them returned - the blank wall is thinner than a Rizla. :(

Thanks Rob,
Not just my imagination :eek: - it would explain the number discarded! Still not sure why they bust - there are big Tench and Bream in the water but no large Carp afaik. The other possibilities are snags in the pool - and over-enthusiastic 'tugging' - or overhanging branches catching the tip during casting - I don't know if the manufacturers QC processes would cater for such 'abuses'.

S'pose we could ask Binka - he might know how much abuse rods are designed for!:p:rolleyes::eek:mg:

john step

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a new garbolino rocket picker 9 foot feeder rod.But the line rating is 2lb to 5lb and up to 4lb hook lengths.
I use 8lb line on my daiwa reel with 7lb hook length will this be too much for the rod will it damage the eyes of the rod as I don't want to buy it if it is not fit for purpose I will be catching carp to 12 lb on it also.
I'm currently using the browning 8 foot force wand and it's doing me good but I've heard good things about these garbolino pickers and for the price of £25 it isn't breaking the bank.
Any help at all will be greatly appreciated kind regards lloyd.

Reminds me of a recent thread on here about Do we buy too many rods etc.
If your current rod is good, will you catch more with a new one.
I don't know the rod in question but I suspect with a name like a picker, it was more intended to "pick" for bits when the going gets hard and not carp hauling. I may be wrong of course.

trotter2

Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else but I think that could be asking a little to much from the rod, How many carp are you hooking up at 12lb ?

robtherake

Reaction score
Thanks Rob,
Not just my imagination :eek: - it would explain the number discarded! Still not sure why they bust - there are big Tench and Bream in the water but no large Carp afaik. The other possibilities are snags in the pool - and over-enthusiastic 'tugging' - or overhanging branches catching the tip during casting - I don't know if the manufacturers QC processes would cater for such 'abuses'.

S'pose we could ask Binka - he might know how much abuse rods are designed for!:p:rolleyes::eek:mg:

Could be anything up to and including a manufacturing fault, but my guess is that with such a thin blank, if they get a ding or scratch in the wrong place it's curtains.

Chefster

Reaction score
Could be anything up to and including a manufacturing fault, but my guess is that with such a thin blank, if they get a ding or scratch in the wrong place it's curtains.
Im guessing its more to do with people buying a rod with a certain line rating,and using totally over the top line with it,and basically trying to skull drag the fish in:rolleyes:and then other anglers come along and say"these fish havent got any lips in here"

Last edited:

nova12

Reaction score
I've been using the pellet cone which isn't the most aerodynamic setup and the 8 foot can struggle to get the distance I quite need a 9 foot would be perfect for where i go I think. I also have a 10 foot browning but I like my smaller rods the line rating on my browning force wand is 3 to 8lb line rating.I use 8lb line because i fish in a few snagggy areas and I'm hitting the clip alot.
The carp I catch a mainly 4lb to 8lb but you can hook a 12 -14lb if you are lucky enough.does anybody have any ideas on a good 9foot rod with out breaking the bank say £60 mark.
Thanks alot

robtherake

Reaction score
Im guessing its more to do with people buying a rod with a certain line rating,and using totally over the top line with it,and basically trying to skull drag the fish in:rolleyes:and then other anglers come along and say"these fish havent got any lips in here"

In part, perhaps (maybe a big part.) I've beasted plenty of rods, though, without them shattering into splinters; plus, this particular rod range has a reputation for fragility.

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

I've been using the pellet cone which isn't the most aerodynamic setup and the 8 foot can struggle to get the distance I quite need a 9 foot would be perfect for where i go I think. I also have a 10 foot browning but I like my smaller rods the line rating on my browning force wand is 3 to 8lb line rating.I use 8lb line because i fish in a few snagggy areas and I'm hitting the clip alot.
The carp I catch a mainly 4lb to 8lb but you can hook a 12 -14lb if you are lucky enough.does anybody have any ideas on a good 9foot rod with out breaking the bank say £60 mark.
Thanks alot

Have a look at the Middy 4GS range. I have the 11ft float, which is pretty good and all the 4GS rods are well-reviewed. The 9ft Snake Lake rod might be right for you: casts up to 40g and currently retails for about £70 if you shop around. Cheaper (and recommended regularly on here) the Korum CS 9 footer might fit the bill.

nova12

Reaction score
So went to 3 diffrent tackle shops to find a good 9 footer and I came down too 4
Garbolino rocket picker priced £30
Maver powerlite £77
Maver abyss £33
Matrix method master £45 as ex display instead of 60
So I bought the matrix method master 9 foot and how happy am i with it had a few hour today with it and handles carp a dream and the eyes on the rod are also lager which makes casting excellent aswell a good all round rod I would reccomend to any 1 also has a lovely blank too.and 1 glass 1oz tip and a carbon tip too
Thanks for your help on here