Worms...I did it my way!

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Worms...I did it my way!

http://www.fishingmagic.com/fm-features/18312-worms-i-did-it-my-way.html

files.php

Worms - arguably the best all-round bait. Why not start up your own wormery? John Step shows you how...

thecrow

Reaction score
Thanks for that explanation John, I have often thought about doing this but have never been sure of how to go about it and so never got round to it now we have moved there is nowhere to put one in the small piece of garden we have. I am sure this will help others set one up though.

tom_moran

Reaction score
Like this, house move this year then I'll be building one. One question. When you say take a stock of worms and put the mature on the garden do you mean empty the wormer completely and start from the beginning

john step

Reaction score
Like this, house move this year then I'll be building one. One question. When you say take a stock of worms and put the mature on the garden do you mean empty the wormer completely and start from the beginning

Tom, yes empty it out and keep a bait box full of stock. Have a fresh layer of vege waste waiting and just tip the stock on top. I dont do that often. I have never kept record but I reckon its every other year.

tom_moran

Reaction score
Ah I see so you do this when it's so full you can't 'feed' it anymore.

flightliner

Reaction score
Well done John, a very useful bit of information backed up with self explanatory pictures. Often thought about something similar as my "normal " heap is sometimes hit and miss on account of the weather.
what diameter holes would you drill below the bins rim these days if you ever made another?.

john step

Reaction score
Tom, basically yes when its full but this only happens every blue moon cos the muck keeps getting eaten and diminishes. Just keep feeding and as long as there is a supply of food the worms keep breeding. Stop feeding and they will go elsewhere looking for food.

Flight, I think I did about 7 or 8 mm vent holes but if I did it again probably 3mm. You do get the wasps investigating in summer and small hole would keep them out. Not been stung yet though!
The slugs that got in have grown so fat and juicy they are too big to get out those 7mm holes!

TOM, Just had a thought about your question. Sorry if I didn't make it clear in the article. YOU DO NOT FILL IT INITIALLY. A LAYER MAYBE NINE INCHES IS ENOUGH TO START AND IT GRADUALLY FILLS WITH MORE FEEDING OVER TIME. YOU CAN SEE BY THE PHOTO I HAVE PLENTY OF ROOM LEFT AND I CANNOT RECALL EMPTYING IT LAST YEAR.

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
A good article, John. Clever of you to use the soil for temperature regulation - it's always cool beyond a spade's depth. Incidentally, the same method is used for composting in hot climates - a more typical above-ground compost heap dries out very quickly: without moisture the composting process is stopped.