Commercial fisheries....What's Important.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
The local commercial near me has some facilities and rules.
An excellent toilet and a small shop. Its a caravan club venue.
The rules are barbless only and only natural baits. A few other rules.

But whats important to you on where you fish? Given all stock of fish being the same

Tackle shop, toilets, bait bans, rig and buzzer bans, bank access, limited day tickets, fauna, alcohol bans etc. etc.

Graham

Keith M

Reaction score
Peace and quiet, plenty of room between swims and no foreign or artificially bred fish like F1s, etc. Oh and no Barbel unless it's on a river.

NB: You can tell It would be a very rare event to see me fishing a commercial unless I were on a holiday somewhere or fishing a team match Lol.

Keith

Last edited:

Chefster

Reaction score
Peace and quiet, plenty of room between swims and no foreign, artificially bred fish like F1s, etc. Oh and no Barbel unless it's on a river.

NB: You can tell It would be a very rare event to see me fishing a commercial unless I were on a holiday somewhere or fishing a team match Lol.

Keith
F1,s have been the saviour of fisheries,and barbel are a good addition,what i cant see the point of is thousands and thousands of tiny roach and rudd,i dont mind silvers,but hoards of little blades are a waste of time,at least put fish in of a reasonable size....
Toilets are good,car parking close to pegs,not mad about onsite tackle and bait shops,i think they take a lot of business from local tackle shops,not fussed about a cafe..Sensible rules and bait restrictions

slaphead

Reaction score
Car parking close to peg is a must for me these days, toilets (only if nearby otherwise a he-wee), picturesque surroundings and friendly staff.

terry m

Reaction score
I don't fish commercials, but I have no issue with those that do.

If I did fish commercials, the over-riding factor that would determine my choice of fishery would be the condition of it's residents. Fish with ripped mouths and torn fins etc do nothing for me.

daniel121

Reaction score
In my opinion what's important

1 is quality if the water, and fish within it
2 it doesn't have horrible woodern pallets as pegs a mile off the water
3 it looks pretty ('ish)
4 it has rules that are reasonable and fair for all to follow
5 the rules are for fish safty and are not a stealth tax to generate more income.
6 pegs are not too close or pointing towards each other.

That's about it, I'm not a fan of still water barbel or Chub but I wouldn't boycott a fishery because they stocked them

laguna

Reaction score
Being free to fish the way I like to fish without silly rules been imposed by jobs worth fishery owners.

Also those with onsite tackle shops imposing the bait ban rule, forcing anglers to buy their bait. Only today a new venue we found with promise of some lovely tench states we can only use their own pellets... I wouldn't use pellets for tench as I prefer paste and groundbait but if I did, who's to say their pellets are better than what we produce?

Money spinner and tarring everyone with the same brush treating grown men like noddies. :(

thecrow

Reaction score
I haven't fished commercials very often but if I fished them regularly I would hope that the owner would have sensible rules in place and the will to enforce them, rules about litter and loud radios, some commercials in the past have been owned by none anglers perhaps their rules would be more angler friendly if they listened to their customers more than heresay.

One other thing I would like to see on commercials would be that at times (school holidays ?) kids accompanied by an adult angler would be allowed to fish for free, they have to learn somewhere and catching fish is the one thing that will keep kids coming back.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
for me - if an owner is setting the rules I'd like him to give a well thought out explaination why they are in place if I ask certain baits are banned and

also I'd like rules to be inforced

Fish in good condition and most importantly - kick off the idiots who are just there to drink beer

robtherake

Reaction score
A bit of elbow room, naturalised surroundings, stringent noise regulations, good fish welfare and a friendly but vigilant (and hands-on) management style.

ciprinus

Reaction score
must haves.
two lakes minimum, one coarse and one carp.
both lakes in mature scenic setting.
coarse lake with stages close enough that you can chat with your mate without having to include the whole pool in your conversation but far enough apart that he cant nick your bait by leaning over.
carp lake with pegs far enough apart that you feel your on your own and separated by shrubbery to emphasize that feeling.
both lakes with common as well as exotic fish such as Koi and Orfe, golden tench and others.
good clean bog that is not to far but not to close that you can hear the last visitor fart.
SMALL, bait and terminal tackle shop cos i ALWAYS forget something :eek:
owner who is a serious angler so that the rules reflect real life not a vivid imagination and sheep mentality.

not haves
fish that are so mutilated that the only clue that they are fish is the fact that they are in the water.
stages that small that you have to sit somewhere behind it to be able to get your rod on it.
a chav housing estate looming over it so close that you can hear mrs chavette screaming at all the little chavbeens all day.
NO chub or barbel.

kick off the idiots who are just there to drink beer

excuse me your lordship but we must have somewhere to swill back a pint or two now that all the locals have been turned into eateries :w

brianemb

Reaction score
I quite like the two commercial which are near me as they are booth quite different. One has two very large pleasure lakes with four match lakes. Three of those are holes in the ground but the other is more natural looking. The other fishery is smaller but has a stream running through it which is nice to fish.
Like most people getting my car close to my swim is ideal and good facilities on site is nice especially as my wife often comes with me.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Natural, not a hole in the middle of a field and nothing round it.

NO F1's, they killed the fishing off in one of our club waters.

Common sense rules.

No bait boats.

Room between swims.

I only fish commies for a charity match, or the fish in's. Not my kind of water.

I have nothing against those that use them.

PS, No Pole fishing, rod and reel only.

lutra

Reaction score
A big strong what ever the weather fence all the way round and paid for by the owner.

steve2

Reaction score
What is a commercial fishery, are we talking just overstocked carp holes or places like Redmire pool, neither of which appeal to me. They are just both stocked carp fisheries and not much else.
I don’t fish commercials any more but to make me return to fish them they would have to change the stocking policy on all my local ones. Like others, rules that are for reasons other than so called fish welfare which is a joke on some of these places.
Just a thought, if no one fishes for the silver fish in these ponds why doesn’t EA net them and use the fish for stocking some of our rivers. Cheaper the using the licence money breeding fish elsewhere.