Ugly fish that you have caught

Keith M

Reaction score
This ugly deformed Carp (the one in front) was caught from my local stream while I was trotting for Barbel (during the river season):

DeformedGhostCarp_zps09799b3e.jpg

It looks like it was trying to make a vain attempt to imitate one of its Barbel companions with its long narrow body and it's almost under slung mouth; and it's almost barbel shaped dorsal fin (the front part of the fin anyway LOL.)

What ugly fish have you caught? and do you have a picture to show us?

Keith

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
I've caught a few fish with a "broken back." Not sure if it's an injury or a naturally occuring deformity, but the fish don't seem to be bothered in the slightest. In one of the early episodes of Go Fishing, John Wilson - out in a boat - displayed a pike with the same body shape...then dropped it, busting one of his rods in the process. The scene faded out to the sound of the ducks "laughing " at him, if I remember rightly. :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I caught a bream about 4lb once whose flanks were just crawling with fish lice. Absolutely covered, both sides. I have never seen anything like it before or since. I put it back but I think I'd have been doing it a favour if I'd tapped it on the head. My net was alive with the disgusting things !

barbelboi

Reaction score
That's sounds disgusting - fancy putting a snottie in your net Skip.....................................;)

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
My mate caught this totally blind, otherwise healthy fish from a local venue.
Its amazing how a totally blind fish can compete for the hook bait.

Non%20Go%20Bye%20Farm%20blinder.jpg

B

binka

I've got a few nominations but I chose this one as I think it might be a relation of Keith's fish...

Or maybe a kinky barbel...

robtherake

Reaction score
I've got a few nominations but I chose this one as I think it might be a relation of Keith's fish...

Or maybe a kinky barbel...

It's a Broke Back barbel, bud.:D

---------- Post added at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:35 ----------

My mate caught this totally blind, otherwise healthy fish from a local venue.
Its amazing how a totally blind fish can compete for the hook bait.

Non%20Go%20Bye%20Farm%20blinder.jpg

Spoke to a fella who recently fished the Ebro for carp and cats. He caught several twenty-plus carp with only one eye, which puzzled him mightily until a guide let slip that certain individuals will use smallish carp as livebaits, hooked through the eye. The twenties he was catching were presumably the ones that got away.

laguna

Reaction score
Spoke to a fella who recently fished the Ebro for carp and cats. He caught several twenty-plus carp with only one eye, which puzzled him mightily until a guide let slip that certain individuals will use smallish carp as livebaits, hooked through the eye. The twenties he was catching were presumably the ones that got away.
Ive unhooked many a silver fish with a hook poking through it eye socket.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've had too many kinked back carp and a few Trent barbel with the same deformity. I have a sneaking suspicion that they are the result of captive breeding. I doubt many fish with this type of deformity would get much past fingerling size in the wild.

412438460.jpg

Really didn't want to touch it and seriously considered knocking it on the head. However, it's not knowingly been seen since, dead or alive.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Not so much an ugly fish, but an early season tench taken some years ago with what I believe to be a condition associated with bacterial septicaemia...................
MF%20TINCA_zpsn08he6o6.jpg

rayner

Reaction score
Can't say I have ever caught an ugly fish but this thread reminded me of a beautiful Bream I caught from Dam Flask a couple of years ago.
It was only small but had a very lovely face :D

sagalout

Reaction score
Binka, you need to shorten the exposure time on the camera.

Was it Kodaks latest stone and chisel film?

---------- Post added at 13:34 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

Binkas comments about Carpies looks cut him to the bone.

---------- Post added at 13:35 ---------- Previous post was at 13:34 ----------

Landing a roach without the pike snapping at them was proving difficult.