''How often have you bought:-''

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
A duff item of tackle, or more precise, something that did not live up to expectations.

Some anglers do not like specific brands, Shimano reels for example. Others will not touch Mitchell's, lines are another bone of contention.

In my own case many years ago I wasted pounds buying lures that never fished the way they were supposed to, which forced me into making my own. Even today some very expensive lures don't work as described, which is why I get so many brought to me for modification.

So come on guy's are you still being caught out?

B

binka

Other than that Matchman hook tyer that I bought recently and can't get on with I'm struggling to think of any recent duff purchases.

Further down the line there was a pair of TFG (Total F.....g Garbage) waterproof boots that were about as waterproof as a pair of flip flops and two Fox 10000E reels which were all appalling.

If someone has my trousers down with such a bad product they don't usually get a second chance although I have bought Fox branded items since but steered well clear of TFG for anything.

thecrow

Reaction score
I once purchased some Rod Hutchinson hooks that were supposed to be designed with silt feeding soft mouthed Carp in mind, they were for a trip to Holland where the water we fished was very silty, they didn't perform very well at all with a number of fish lost and are probably still at the bottom of the lake rusting away.

flightliner

Reaction score
Au lion dor hooks, the last few on the last straw ended in the gravel pit I was carping back in the eighties.
Not my choice, a lesney bait press for christmas when a kiddie. Total total ****!.

mightyboosh

Reaction score
Bought a well known brand set of tackle boxes with removable dividers. The grooves holding the dividers in place were far to shallow and they just fell out with the slightest agitation. Totally useless and unfit for purpose.

Most of the other stuff I've bought over the years has been OK, it must come to thousands, if not tens of thousands of pounds :eek:

Nearly all the rods I've bought mail order have been a disappointment, just didn't feel right in the hand, so I only buy rods that I have handled now. Probably wasted more money on lures than anything else though.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Few disasters; an expensive Daiwa carbon landing net pole in the 90s went back to the shop for a refund after snapping on the first half decent fish I used it on - that was the worst. I am very out of date with landing net poles though. I have a couple of carbon ones but nearly always use an alloy one and these have never let me down.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
At the moment, lead-free shot are about the worst; mostly you seem to get what you pay for, but they seem to vary a lot. Most are only fit to be squeezed, with pliers, onto scrap line to make link-ledgers.
If I ever find a bunch that are really good across the size range, I'll buy four boxes (which on my current rate of use should see me out) before they can change the formula.

The things I most regretted buying were some knife-point french match hooks imported by Geoff Bucknell. I lost fish after fish before a very gentle strike produced a roach with a cut inside its mouth, made by the hook. The knife edge should have been on the outside of the bend, not the inside! It did make a fiendishly sharp point, but with no holding power. Sorry, fish!

rayner

Reaction score
I really was struggling to think of bad buys but for a couple of reminders from above.
The Ezfeeda for one also a few dodgy hooks.
The one that made me laugh was a bundle of disgorgers I bought from a market stall, when I tried to use them I noticed they had omitted to include a slot for the line.

robtherake

Reaction score
An 11ft margin float rod from Used Tackle that took 7 oz of lead strapped to the butt to balance the ruddy thing (no, I didn't leave it on :)); it could have pulled a barge, an' all. It was a present from the kids, so I kept that one quiet. Just a year or so ago, a 10ft Browning float rod with a truly horrible action: quite useless.

A Daiwa float reel with auto bail function that seemed designed to twist line up as fast as possible. Further back, a Winfield Spinfisher reel that had an internal issue and jammed at random intervals.

Those "shotgun" feeders that failed after a couple of trips.

15lb Daiwa Sensor - as much use as strimmer line.

Got to agree about the lead substitute shot. I've been tempted many times to bid for job lots of old tackle on Ebay, just for the genuine lead shot.:wh

terry m

Reaction score
For me this is a rarity, I spend too much time researching any items of significance, the net result is I really do know what I am likely to get.

I do remember a Shakespeare match rod in the early/mid 70's with a handle that was a thin sheet of cork 'rolled' around, rather than a solid cork handle.

It started breaking after a few trips, I have never purchased another significant item from Shakespeare.

steve2

Reaction score
The JW 11-13 Avon just never liked from the moment I used it. Various expensive fishing chairs that have been too big or too uncomfortable.

B

binka

I do remember a Shakespeare match rod in the early/mid 70's with a handle that was a thin sheet of cork 'rolled' around, rather than a solid cork handle.

It started breaking after a few trips, I have never purchased another significant item from Shakespeare.

Lol, that's just reminded me Terry...

Many years ago I bought a round Shakespeare keepnet and it would not for the life of it sink, even when the mesh was thoroughly soaked.

I would use the landing net handle to push it out and down to the lake or river bed and it just popped back up again and collapsed.

On closer inspection I found the circular plastic spacing rings were hollow!

A keepnet that floats... Fat lot of good that was :eek:mg:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I also bought the Match hook tier, it went in the bin and never saw the bank side. Drennan hook tier is very good.

I also took back a float that didn't go under all day, I blanked :D:D

ravey

Reaction score
Yes, those Daiwa 'fingerdab' reels. Talk about twisted line! Apparently, the trick was to glue the roller so that it didn't roll...strange when you consider the model (1657DM) is one of the company's longest-running products...I'm well rid. Strange, but the 'perfect' reel for me is also a Daiwa one (2503CU), but the fingerdab...garbage.

The Mal Storey Severn Trent carbon feeder rod...awful action, whichever of the two tips is used.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Platil Strong- total rubbish

Toy-r-Us- rowing boat that deflated one night.

Hardy's Altex- very disappointing, should have stuck to the Mitchell 300s.

Wellington Boots, always split at the back on the seam.

And many more !!

Bob

lambert1

Reaction score
An 11ft margin float rod from Used Tackle that took 7 oz of lead strapped to the butt to balance the ruddy thing (no, I didn't leave it on :)); it could have pulled a barge, an' all. It was a present from the kids, so I kept that one quiet. Just a year or so ago, a 10ft Browning float rod with a truly horrible action: quite useless.

A Daiwa float reel with auto bail function that seemed designed to twist line up as fast as possible. Further back, a Winfield Spinfisher reel that had an internal issue and jammed at random intervals.

Those "shotgun" feeders that failed after a couple of trips.

15lb Daiwa Sensor - as much use as strimmer line.

Got to agree about the lead substitute shot. I've been tempted many times to bid for job lots of old tackle on Ebay, just for the genuine lead shot.:wh

Oh God Rob, I bought some of the "shotgun" feeders when they first came out, but have never used them to date. I thought they looked a little trumpery and you have confirmed my suspicions:eek: That will teach me:D

john step

Reaction score
At the moment, lead-free shot are about the worst; mostly you seem to get what you pay for, but they seem to vary a lot. Most are only fit to be squeezed, with pliers, onto scrap line to make link-ledgers.
If I ever find a bunch that are really good across the size range, I'll buy four boxes

Have you tried ZLT lead free shot. Not many tackle shops sell it but its available on line.
I don't rate any lead free below a 4 however. If I want a 6 I just put two size 8 Stotz together.
I re-use the ZLT which can slide a bit second time around ,which is better than line damage. So I put a 10 size Stotz either side of the waggler locking shot.

daniel121

Reaction score
Yes, those Daiwa 'fingerdab' reels. Talk about twisted line! Apparently, the trick was to glue the roller so that it didn't roll...strange when you consider the model (1657DM) is one of the company's longest-running products...I'm well rid. Strange, but the 'perfect' reel for me is also a Daiwa one (2503CU), but the fingerdab...garbage.

I started this tread thinking - God loads but I can't seem to remember any :confused: then reading your lots refreshed my memory.

The 1657dm reel I forgot about that, I brought my lad one about 93 time, he said it was **** lol and ravey I have a 2503cu and it's my favourite reel, wish I could buy another.

Matchman hook tier - that was useless

I remember buying a cane rod with some money I scraped together as a kid, and it broke casting into the Trent at wilfod power station. Thanks to a infestation in the blank.

I remember buying a Abu 507 m11 (gold one) it was heavy as hell and the pins didn't work properly, I took it back exchanged it for a new one twice - each had the same fault. Thats 80 quid I never saw again :D

Shakespeare sigma wand - I never got on with it but some love that rod it has a cult following.

There's loads others but that's all that sticks in my mind :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
TFG waterproof boots.....total garbage, about as waterproof as a effin spong!