Dangers in translation

mikench

Reaction score
I have been amused by a whole host of fishing websites which feature a description of the product which has clearly been translated by google translate Ie badly!

I suspect the manufacturers ,mainly Chinese or Japanese , supply them and the suppliers clearly do not check them and just copy and paste.

This is an example about a Diawa Reel:

His specialty is accommodate the impact generated by the float or feeder when they finish their flight the predetermined distance: the clip slides forward and get back in position, thanks to the assistance an internal spring. Finally, the folding crank ends with a knob anatomical EVA, a specification that facilitates the recovery at high speed.

The reference to the ending must mean me ! what a reel!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"the clip slides forward and get back in position, thanks to the assistance an internal spring. Finally, the folding crank ends with a knob anatomical EVA, a specification that facilitates the recovery at high speed."

The answer to a maiden's prayer...

robtherake

Reaction score
"the clip slides forward and get back in position, thanks to the assistance an internal spring. Finally, the folding crank ends with a knob anatomical EVA, a specification that facilitates the recovery at high speed."

The answer to a maiden's prayer...

There's a bawdy (rugby/regional) song, which was delivered perfectly in a bar one night by a marvellous pub landlord who's no longer with us (Brian Bulmer, I doff my cap to thee. :)) It tells the tale of a maiden with a gigantic ladies' front passage who couldn't be satisfied by any man, and revolves around the construction and usage of a "prick of steel" attached by local artisans (using cunning means) to a "bloody big wheel."

I don't remember the full tale, but it ends, more or less, like this:

...until at last the maiden cried, "Enough, enough, I'm satisfied!"

But now here comes the tragic bit,
For there was no way of stopping it,
So the maiden spit from ar$e to t!t,
And the whole bloody lot was covered in...well, I reckon you know what comes next. :D

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I think it's called "The Engineer's Song".. ah, it was. If you want any more,google it yerself, as the songs (almost) said. Only safe for the Bait Box...

lee_j

Reaction score
His specialty is accommodate the impact generated by the float or feeder when they finish their flight the predetermined distance: the clip slides forward and get back in position, thanks to the assistance an internal spring. Finally, the folding crank ends with a knob anatomical EVA, a specification that facilitates the recovery at high speed.

I WANT ONE :D

mikench

Reaction score
For a technical translation for a product being sold in many countries where English is the main language , I stand by my original assessment of google translate: it leaves an awful lot to be desired!

For translating a post card from France it is probably acceptable. After all how can you misunderstand " having a lovely time ":)