6lb Straight Through

Andy Pet

Reaction score
When fishing in a snag free environment with the opportunity to catch larger bonus fish, would 6lb line fished straight through cope with an upper double carp on commercial match gear?

I fish mainly corn, meat, pellets and maggots - all bait that the resident carp can, and will snaffle

My Harrison Avon is too powerful for the smaller species (hence the reason it's being sold - bargain for someone)

The roach and bream in the venue deserve a match rod.

B

binka

I would say it would easily cope Andy, in the circumstances you mention.

I often fish a gravel pit in summer for the better roach and perch, mid-double silt suckers often turn up and I'm fishing much finer bottoms than 6lb... As long as you can take your time and have plenty of line on the reel it will be fine.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Andy. I use my drennan classic 13ft IM9 match rod matched with 6.6 silstar line and had them to low 20's.

The key is snag free and correct setting of the clutch. No problem.

The benefit is enjoying the silvers.

Graham

qtaran111

Reaction score
Yeah definitely. Let the rod soak up the strain and just take your time playing the fish.

tom_moran

Reaction score
As others have said, i fished last year many times on a carp pool catching upto mid doubles on an old float rod and 6lb maxima straight through, roped off swims.meant at times I hard to give it a bit of welly. Only ever had a problem when they tool off like lightning for the aerators and cut the line

daniel121

Reaction score
Depends what line it is, 6lb Maxima is tow rope but 6lb greys g tec being the oppersite. However both being very stretchy reel lines:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm increasingly enjoying really light line fishing for the smaller species, especially roach. Hooklinks being no more than 2lb. The stillwater I've been fishing is also home to numerous notably hard fighting carp. With an appropriately light rod, a decent reel and plenty of patience, I'm landing the vast majority of the carp I hook. I've had them to around 12lb on such kit.

With 6lb line, a well matched rod, plenty of space and a weed/snag free water, I'd fancy my chances with fish up to about 20lb.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
My line is 6lb Daiwa Sensor and also 6lb Pro Gold which I thought I'd give a bash following some good reviews on this site.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I use 5lb for general fishing and a match type rod; the largest carp I caught accidentally is 15lb on a snag free water close in. 6lb should cope OK I would think except for some very large fish.

Last edited: