Camping or Fishing

steve2

Reaction score
Can someone tell why tents are banned on fishing lakes but not bivvies, Is there a difference? We always used tents long before bivvies came along. A good tent is half the price of a bivvy.

sam vimes

Reaction score
In some cases there are some strange bylaws that mean that a place where tents are used requires planning permission as a camp site. For some reason, bivvys don't fall foul. However, the lines have blurred as bivvys have developed over the years, I suspect that the differences come down to colour and the name. Just another example of the law being an ass.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Can someone tell why tents are banned on fishing lakes but not bivvies, Is there a difference? We always used tents long before bivvies came along. A good tent is half the price of a bivvy.

Steve,

I think that answers your question in one !!

A good tent is half the price of a bivvy.

Bob

daniel121

Reaction score
More likely that carp lads don't like bright coloured tents round a lake! :eek:mg::wh

Last edited:

daniel121

Reaction score
Re the above post.....OUCH:eek:

Yes :( I'm am or was, a traditional match angler myself and I'd like to add I don't think this way.

Exactly what I was talking about in my divisions in angling thread :( My tongue in cheek comment about carp lads not liking the bright coloured tents, needs rewording but has largly just been proved, Unfortunately.

Why we are so tribal and/or intolerant to fellow anglers is beyond me? It never used to be this was when I started fishing. :mad

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Yes :( I'm am or was, a traditional match angler myself and I'd like to add I don't think this way.

Exactly what I was talking about in my divisions in angling thread :( My tongue in cheek comment about carp lads not liking the bright coloured tents, needs rewording but has largly just been proved, Unfortunately.

Why we are so tribal and/or intolerant to fellow anglers is beyond me? It never used to be this was when I started fishing. :mad

deniel

It's " Internet Anglers ", nothing whatever to do with the subject, plenty of " GREEN " camping tents about, but the cost a fraction of the price of the average " Fishing Bivvy " ?

I wonder if the Carp Police would check the make if you choice to use a cheaper Green camping tent ?

Bob

flightliner

Reaction score
In short the reason clubs such as ourselves at Hertford angling club impose these kind of rules is to keep member numbers down as there are always people who will bend the rules. Plus tents and bivvies look unsightly to us traditional match anglers. All you carp noddies are just camping and setting dead lines on alarms. Mugs

Last night I seem to remember a high up official of Hertford AC was advertising for new members as well as saying they turn a blind eye to rulebreakers . If I,m wrong I,ll gladly stand being corrected with an apology :).

robtherake

Reaction score
Last night I seem to remember a high up official of Hertford AC was advertising for new members as well as saying they turn a blind eye to rulebreakers . If I,m wrong I,ll gladly stand being corrected with an apology :).

Binka sussed it, Mick. Whoever it is or was is mightily disaffected by the club or certain individuals within it and was looking to stir things up. I wonder if he still thinks it was a clever thing to do, having slept on it.

greenie62

Reaction score
I see Chrisbite is now an X member ...

I thought his comments were getting a bit 'edgy' - I guess that there maybe others who know more of the backstory and possibly know him in the angling (real) world - quite a speedy banning - possibly a record? :eek:

john step

Reaction score

Daniel, I hope you were not thinking my ouch was for your response. The ouch was for the post immediately above mine.:)

---------- Post added at 14:19 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

I see Chrisbite is now an X member BANNED what a Norbert :rolleyes:

I was beginning to think someone was TINKERING again.

daniel121

Reaction score
No John I knew what you meant mate, I think we are both on the same line of thought on this topic :):thumbs:

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:00 ----------

deniel

It's " Internet Anglers ", nothing whatever to do with the subject, plenty of " GREEN " camping tents about, but the cost a fraction of the price of the average " Fishing Bivvy " ?

I wonder if the Carp Police would check the make if you choice to use a cheaper Green camping tent ?

Bob

Bob I respect your opinion however I disagree with you mate.

I believe the 'carp police' (as you called them) would inspect and ridicule brands mate, you see we have become a fashion obsessed nation. It's not just Carp lads or match or even fishing itself, or the internet either for that matter.

No it's bigger than that, It's a cancer that's eating away at us and its growing too. It's got worse and worse really snowballing from say 1975 time onwards. Think about it it's rife particularly in younger generations, the fact that objects of desire, like branded must have smart phones,jeans,jewellery etc etc, loads of other things come to mind. However the fact all these products come out the same factories, made from the same materials as the cheapo can't be seen dead in/with brands. Makes no difference to the consumer, they simply must have what "conforms" or gets them in the click.

No different to tents and bivvy's, branded matching kit in all angling "cults" are a sad state of modern world. And it links to this topic because unfortunately people tend to ban things for no other reason other than they don't like it.

That's been my experience in fishing (and life) over the years anyway :)

robtherake

Reaction score
Consumerism is nuts, Daniel. The whole point is to pressure the individual into buying things they don't need and it's a roaring success. you only have to look at the fashion industry to illustrate the point. If people wore clothes until they wore out, sales would be pitiful. Create a situation where the punter feels socially disadvantaged if they haven't got the latest togs and the tills are ringing all day long.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
No John I knew what you meant mate, I think we are both on the same line of thought on this topic :):thumbs:

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:00 ----------

Bob I respect your opinion however I disagree with you mate.

I believe the 'carp police' (as you called them) would inspect and ridicule brands mate, you see we have become a fashion obsessed nation. It's not just Carp lads or match or even fishing itself, or the internet either for that matter.

No it's bigger than that, It's a cancer that's eating away at us and its growing too. It's got worse and worse really snowballing from say 1975 time onwards. Think about it it's rife particularly in younger generations, the fact that objects of desire, like branded must have smart phones,jeans,jewellery etc etc, loads of other things come to mind. However the fact all these products come out the same factories, made from the same materials as the cheapo can't be seen dead in/with brands. Makes no difference to the consumer, they simply must have what "conforms" or gets them in the click.

No different to tents and bivvy's, branded matching kit in all angling "cults" are a sad state of modern world. And it links to this topic because unfortunately people tend to ban things for no other reason other than they don't like it.

That's been my experience in fishing (and life) over the years anyway :)

You may well have a point Daniel, but having fished some of the well known Carp Syndicate waters, fashion never worried me and lots of the other carpers on the lakes.

The look down your nose tackle tarts were usually regarded as a little blinkered and ignored by those who got on with their fishing.

My miss matched Dragon Umbrella with a JRC over wrap and Fox Supa bed chair, certainly did not hamper my catches, at the end of the day it's down to the rigs and sharpness of the hook that counts.

The internet with it's continual knocking of different types of fishing and methods does know one any favours.

The modern cult following of fashion is to be expected in a world of celebrity based on little or know substance.

Most of those promoting the latest fishing fads (bivvy's in this case) are being paid to do so and the tackle manufactures are right behind those who are doing the promoting.

Bob

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I see Chrisbite is now an X member BANNED what a Norbert

Yes, he obviously had many issues with the club that he was lambasting and his other comments were in direct contravention of the Terms & Conditions of Membership here on FM.

If anyone knows him then please tell him that I said:

Thanks for your contributions and don't let the door hit you in the ar$e on the way out of here!

;)

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I just happened to be wide awake at 3am the other night and saw a reported post. Then found a load of other posts from the now ex member, so off he went into the ether.

Anyway, back to tents and bivvys. Local byelaws and owner requirements are typically the source of such qualifications. Also used as part of the campaign against poaching and/or use of the area for other undesirable purposes.

greenie62

Reaction score
...Anyway, back to tents and bivvys. Local byelaws and owner requirements are typically the source of such qualifications. Also used as part of the campaign against poaching and/or use of the area for other undesirable purposes.

Many local authorities have a definition of a permitted camp site which includes a ratio of pitches to washing/toilet facilities.

According to the original derivation of a bivouac - it was a 'watchman's shelter' - to provide protection from the weather whilst they guarded an encampment. This makes sense in terms of a 'bivvy' with an open front where you can keep watch - I guess that as soon as you zip/fasten-up the front it becomes a tent!:eek:

xenon

Reaction score
had a few run ins with overly officious bailiffs when using a tent as a bivvy (dark green, lower profile than most bivvies-cannot see the problem myself) gave up membership of one club on account of it.