New travel rod case

Jim Murray

Reaction score
Have used a KIS for years and while it has sufficed I've always found it difficult to pack and also suffered from broken rings a couple of times. The fact it can flex slightly in the middle has always been a bit of a worry as well.

I've always thought a better design would be a clamshell type, one that could open up like a normal suitcase to enable easy packing.

Can't see too much out there, does anyone know if there is anything like this to take 6 foot sections?

john step

Reaction score
Jim, I seem to recall those hard travel cases were pretty expensive. Depending on your requirements I wonder if purpose made multi piece travel rods that come on a case might be a viable option. Easier to pack etc.

Jim Murray

Reaction score
I have looked around but most of the cases seem to have the same drawback as the KIS - difficult to pack and chance of broken rings. The Bazooka website warns you about this.

The dream would be one that opened fully like a suitcase, clamped shut then a padlock to secure. I'm thinking maybe there's something out there designded for another purpose perhaps.

I like to use the big tubes rather than the custom ones since I usually pack it with nearly all the rods, end tackle, scales, reels, nets etc and find that I can get away with just checking that into the hold baggage. Hand luggage for a few clothes etc and that's it.

Even many of the "travel" rods sold are too long for cabin baggage so you'd have to check a bag anyway.

simon dunbar

Reaction score
I've got the Bazuka telescopic rod case, its pretty sturdy and I put some cheap foam pads in the top and bottom of it to protect the rods more.

Not the best name for a rod case maybe, I was in India two weeks after the Mumbai attacks of 2008 and was nervous driving into the airport with a big tube with Bazuka written on it strapped to the roof rack!

A rod case used to cost no extra with British Airways , classed as sporting luggage , but not now. I now have some good six piece travel rods , that go in my case.