deep water hemp

owzatsteve

Reaction score
anyone any experience in fishing hemp in water of about 14ft

ie does it work or is it to deep for that type of fishing

Tom (Bream Machine)

Reaction score
It works, it just depends how you fish it. If its Roach fishing, thenin that depth you need to find the depth they are sitting, it may well be a foot off bottom....possibly much more, thats my experience anyway. As for other species such as Bream, Tench .....they will feed on hemp wherever the bottom is. I pole fish using seed, in that depth i have my bulkat the halfway mark and let the seed drop gently through the lower depth, i'm a big fan of Stotts now for hemping as they take away shot bites.

owzatsteve

Reaction score
hi tom

thanks for that was just wondering as i have a match coming up on the ouse but never tried hemp fishing at that depth

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I cannot think of a reason as to why it should not work apart from the fact that it is a fairly slow sinking bait and the fish(probably in summer?)might just rise in the water to meet the bait coming down.I can recall many years ago fishing the Little Ouse at Thetford(I think)and watching hoards of roach and dace of good size coming up in meet the hemp coming down.Did I catch those fish-I did not!The fish could be seen in an almost massive feeding frenzy with silver bodies everywhere!

Are you using it as hook bait or as feed and what are you fishing for(I'm assuming roach but this may be wrong)?

I suppose you have to try it,but if you dont catch try fishing at differing depths coming up from bottom 6" at a time-the roach are not necessarily on the bottom anyway but whatever way you fish DO NOT use masses of hemp as feed for small(ish) fish like roach-overfeeding can be a problem in my experience.

I have used caster with hemp feed and been quite successful.It is a wonderful feed for many species but barbel used to love it more than most but perhaps its a blown bait now where it is used in vast quantities-I have found this so and use it very little unless mixed with groundbait when tench fishing!!

I have rambled on a bit-perhaps you can tell us more of how you intend using it.......

Tom-who are Stotts-I'm interested!

Tom (Bream Machine)

Reaction score
Tee-Cee

Sorry...should be Stotz...not Stotts -are a new(ish) type of shot, but cylindrical as opposed to spherical, they have a groove which will if required attach to thicker line without pinging off. They are veryreliable and are available in most small shot sizes.Marketed by Preston in a handy four size container, sizes 8, 9, 10. 11.

owzatsteve

Reaction score
cheers

i was intending to use it on the hook as most of my oppo will be sitting on the feeder for bream ,bit hit and miss i think on the ouse,

had some sucsess on the drains last year in all the winter matches but never tried it at that depth

after all the ouse is in a bit of a sorry state at the mo judging by reports ,so i thought a few decent roach might be the way to go

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Steve-just another point....I have found shotting down the line(say,when fishing shirt-button style to slow down the baits drop)can cause fish to go for the shot so I tend to use very fine lead like wire rolled around a needle to form a coil of 1" long which can be cut/adjusted to get the float to sit properly.This gets the bait down quickly in a river-the coil is fished 6" from the hook more or less and tends to stop line bites!!

Won many,many Thames matches using this method in water up to 10' of water-I might use a slider in 14' especially in a match where casting might be difficult with the float set at 14'!!

Good luck anyway-hope this helps!!

owzatsteve

Reaction score
dont know if anyone else has tried this but i won 2 matches last winter with

wait for it

apple pips ,they look very simular to hemp and stay on the hook for ever

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I have said this before-I recall a fisherman of the Kingsbury Angling Club back in the early 60's fishing a black bead with a white flash painted on somehow and catching roach-nothing is new in anglingI suppose!!

Steve-just how did you fish the'pips?-was it a Cox apple or is this on the secrets list-if so I apologise!!

Thinking about it-its not much different to fishing a Tare........