Best place for an angler to live?

laguna

Reaction score
I'm not thinking of moving anywhere near you soon (thank the lord for that I hear you say), but I've always been curious as to the best place to live regards good fishing, venues and tackle shops. Judging by the enquiries Laguna gets, I reckon Essex takes some beating but what do you think?

Anyone happy with were they live? Wish you lived elsewhere perhaps?

Spill!

bracket

Reaction score
I was born and bred in Nottingham, which was great and was able catered for every aspect of angling. I moved to Dorset 22 years ago and can still get all I need. So basically I have the best of both worlds. But I do miss fishing the Trent. Pete.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'd suggest feel that much would depend on the type of angler you are, what you enjoy and whether you are prepared to travel. For an allround coarse angler prepared to travel, I suspect that somewhere pretty central, Northamptonshire or Leicestershire would be a sensible option. If carping were my thing, the counties surrounding London would be my choice.

With factors beyond just angling coming into play, I'd be off to Lincs/Notts or Dorset. However, there's absolutely no chance of me moving. I long ago reconciled the limits of my local angling and simply fish accordingly.

john step

Reaction score
As Sam says, its horses for courses. Lincolnshire is pretty good for still waters and the Trent but not so good for small intimate streams or the numbers of gravel pits around the Home Counties.

What it does have is less traffic to get to venues and fishery fees of yesteryear.

Bedfordshire would be a good central compromise with access to the Ouse, Ivel, nearby Nene, gravel pits and the Anglian trout reservoirs not too far.

Last edited:

soft plastic

Reaction score
As Sam says, its horses for courses. Lincolnshire is pretty good for still waters and the Trent but not so good for small intimate streams or the numbers of gravel pits around the Home Counties.

What it does have is less traffic to get to venues and fishery fees of yesteryear.

Bedfordshire would be a good central compromise with access to the Ouse, Ivel, nearby Nene, gravel pits and the Anglian trout reservoirs not too far.
John, would you care to mention any of the still waters in Lincolnshire? I live in North Lincolnshire and am always on the look out for new venues.

robtherake

Reaction score
I have a soft spot for Lincolnshire, the scene of many a family holiday/fishing trip. It seems that you can't walk a hundred yards without finding some water or other and the Trent's only an hour or two away. I could live with that.

ravey

Reaction score
I think that I'm pretty well placed. I have the Middle Trent only ten minutes away. Only a little further is the upper Trent, Derbyshire Derwent, the Dove, and the Soar. Canal-wise, I have the Erewash and Nottingham canals. There are also a good selection of still waters. Bliss...!

seth49

Reaction score
Well I'm quite happy with were I live, here in the ribble valley. I have lived within five miles of the house I am in all my life so far.

Did live in the hodder valley before from being four years old to twenty five, that was special. On a farm out in the countryside it was a great place place to live.

Even though it was in Yorkshire in those days, it was no fun being the only Lancashire lad in a school full of tykes.

I have always fancied Dorset, watched a lot of the out of times programs with jack Hargreaves when they were going. But I'm not moving now I'll stop here were I am.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Essex/Hertfordshire boarder would be my choice, but Hampshire/Dorset takes some beating.

Ware/Hertford would be ideal, brilliant coarse fishing for most species.

But where you live is not all about fishing.

Bob

B

binka

I'm quite happy here in Nottinghamshire.

A certain and much loved River Trent running right through the heart of the county with the Lincolnshire Fens to the east and the Derwent Valley to the west, both within easy striking distance and a whole host of gravel pits to go at.

Funny though, no matter what you seem to have on your doorstep there always seems to be some far off waters which you've always fancied a crack at.

Maybe waters are a bit like floats and you can never have too many? :)

steve2

Reaction score
I can't think of a worst place for a river angler than Essex. I much prefer river but we don't have any worth fishing anymore. I can't think of any place better than than Hampshire/ Wiltshire.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I've enjoyed fishing rivers elsewhere especially around Oxford and on the Trent and Wye but plenty of choice locally though my travelling distances seem to be increasing at the moment. Living in Dorset the Dorset Frome is 8 miles, the nearest part of the Stour is 3 miles and the Hants Avon 13 miles plus plenty of stillwaters from 60 acre pits to small ponds, no canals though.

flightliner

Reaction score
I,m happy here on the extreme edge of south yorkshire, Nottinghamshire is about five minutes away with the rivers Idle and Trent 30 and 40 minutes away respectively.east yorks and north lincolnshire canals pretty much the same.
To the west I have the Derbyshire peak distict .
lots of good reservoirs locally that produce some really good fishing - both coarse and game in stunning countryside that must be some of the best in the country.

Years ago when a twenty something mad keen match angler all I wanted was a cottage by the side of the river Witham but it never transpired, these days if I was forced to make a move with fishing foremost in the decision making I reckon it would be somewhere in Hampshire or Dorset .

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Sagalout
Fine choice - good luck.

Wye Severn, Warks Avon. Stunning Scenery.
Be prepared to move back to the '70's!

john step

Reaction score
I can't think of a worst place for a river angler than Essex. I much prefer river but we don't have any worth fishing anymore. I can't think of any place better than than Hampshire/ Wiltshire.

I treated myself to 4 days last Autumn on Britford Hants Avon. Good fishing but I was absolutely not prepared for the traffic around Salisbury.

I used to have tremendous fishing in my youth on the Roding nr Ongar. Doesn't it fish well now??

steve2

Reaction score
John, not sure when you last fished the Roding but for most of the year it just a overgrown, over abstracted stream. I have seen it go from places we use to be able to swim in to a places where you would be lucky to get your ankles wet.
There are still fish to be caught but not in any numbers apart from a few pockets of fish here and there. The dace and roach shoals died out years ago.
mainstay are chub and perch.