Meat Cutters

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Are meat cutters any good? Thinking of getting the Tilley one in 8mm as 6mm cubes seem a little small.

seth49

Reaction score
I have one of the MAP ones works ok, but takes a bit of cleaning after, find knife better easier to alter size of cubes.

Mainly cut in slices now and punch it out to use.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Interesting to see a MC owner reverting back to a blade. I've always used a knife but fancied a change. Thought I'd ask first. I'll probably keep my pennies

soft plastic

Reaction score
As previously posted, a pain in the backside to clean. Again, as seth suggests, slice and punch. Fell for the advertising and purchased one (MAP). Never bother with it now.

rayner

Reaction score
I have a couple of Tilley's and they're excellent no trouble to clean, just soak in hot water and brush any bits left.
If you are only cutting one tin a chip cutter works fine. I have one that's 10mm cost me a quid new from a market, shouldn't be too hard to find one it's plastic with a metal blade.

carpinbob

Reaction score
Used to have one a right pain gone back to using a good old knife.

Chefster

Reaction score
Map meat cutters brilliant when youve got to do 6 tins or more,for summer matches,im a chef and consider my knife skills to be good,but i cant cut a tin of meat into perfect 4,6 or 8mm cubes,let alone several tins,so it takes a few minutes to clean,its a no brainer.Gaz

bolts

Reaction score
I use a MAP one, perfect for getting even size cubes for feeding.

I usually take a couple of slices and a punch as well to give me the option of larger pieces.

Don't find cleaning too much of an issue but you can always take it apart and leave it soaking in hot water while you go fishing, I often find it clean on the draining board when I get back ;)

greenie62

Reaction score
...Don't find cleaning too much of an issue but you can always take it apart and leave it soaking in hot water while you go fishing, I often find it clean on the draining board when I get back ;)

Aahh! - you've got a washing-up fairy in your house! - brilliiant aren't they! ;) Mines gone on strike now - can't think why! :eek:mg:

rayner

Reaction score
I have an ancient Seymo meat cutter. Far simpler, smaller and cheaper than the MAP jobs.

I have one of these in 6mm I looked for a 10mm but the price now is £9.99.
That's when my wife spotted a chip cutter at a market £1.00. I use the 6mm to slices the meat then push the slices through the chip cutter.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I try to obtain almost round rather than square pieces of meat so I use bread disc cutters to produce what I need for the hook. I push the cutter through the meat to produce a long ' sausage ' shape then push the same cutter through the sides of the ' sausage ' which ( IMO only ) produces a better shape, particularly on a hair.....

Also good in the very small cutter sizes down to 3mm for roach on small hooks....

I don't need hundreds of pieces so it works for me.............Also only takes minutes to clean - that's me, NOT the wife !!

I think that ' bolts ' chap is spoilt........................( smiley )

trotter2

Reaction score
I agree if you change the shape of the meat it can work better when they have been caught a few times.