What are drop backs on feeder fishing

nova12

Reaction score
I've recently bought a new feeder rod(as you have probably read) and I've heard people talk about drop backs I use a 0.75 glass tip and also have a 1.50 carbon tip with it but my question is what is a drop back I fish a slackish line but my tip on only just bending slightly.

I fish a still water for carp on a commercial what would you use and when would my carbon tip be used too thanks any help appreciated

Sorru for all the questions

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Drop back is where the slight bend in your tip reverts to straight and your line goes slack....
Usually means fish is hooked so just lift into it as in no need to strike....

robtherake

Reaction score
Drop back is where the slight bend in your tip reverts to straight and your line goes slack....
Usually means fish is hooked so just lift into it as in no need to strike....

In addition to what Peter says, drop-back bites are fairly common if you're fishing right up to an island margin, since a hooked fish can't move directly away from you, only toward you or to one side. Often there's a quick pull before the tip springs back straight, just to add a bit of variety. :)

trotter2

Reaction score
Its just when the fish picks up the bait and moves the weight,feeder towards you and the tip springs back on a Stillwater.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Good advice above... drop back is caused by a fish coming towards you, thus taking any tension out of the line.

As to the heavier tip... if you ever get round to river fishing, and there's a bit of a flow, you might find that just the flow of the water is enough to really bend the 0.75 tip round... whereas switch to the 1.5 tip and you'll offer that flow more resistance and get a better control over how much you want to tension it.

Having said all that, I honestly believe that for the most part, nearly all "multi-tip" feeder/ quiver rods have one tip which is SIGNIFICANTLY better in terms of blending in with the rods action, and as such most likely gets left on the rod pretty much all the time! I have two tip rods which never see any of their alternative options, simply because the rod doesn't seem right without "the" tip...